Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

:h - TOOL's Let's talk TOOL's - :@

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
:h - TOOL's Let's talk TOOL's - :@

Simple topic but just curious what most have found as being the "Best" or Most "Used" tool you carry?

Used to just carry - Sockets and Wrenches - but over the years the most used tool is the Multimeter - and electrical repair kit. Seems as these Homes go down the road the electrical system is the weak link.

Still carry a drill and impact gun, pliers and screwdrivers, few sockets and wrenches, but the most used is the Multimeter or the 12 volt probe.

Am I alone?

What is your most used "TOOL".

Just wondering,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
28 REPLIES 28

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I use (and carry) 'em all. I carry a full set and the one's I wouldn't be without include a heavy duty impact, 20 ton bottle jack and a good torque wrench. Oh and a soldering iron.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
In my case a small battery operated rechargable drill.. Now I"m in a class A but with the proper adapters it does bolts, screws, and a host of other things.

IN a trailer I'd want a much larger battery operated drill (I have one of those too) or a power drill (120 volt) (Likewise) But it makes it so much easier to remove and replace screws.. Oh, a #2 Square bit too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the top section of my former roll around tool cabinet filled with tools. But the tools I use the most are the Lithium battery powered screwdriver, magnetic screwdriver, my digital multimeter, and the CC.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most used tool: probably the #2 Robertson (square) screwdriver. Second is probably the breaker bar and sockets and extensions, along with a jack, needed to change tires etc, not so much because of tire troubles but because of other odd jobs that require removing the wheel. In particular, I've had a little trouble occasionally with a sticky brake caliper, and have had to remove a wheel to unstick it.

A multimeter can be very useful, too, along with basic wiring tools (wire cutter, stripper, terminal crimper).

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the most used tool of the pretty complete set I carry is my Makita battery drill/driver. I chuckled when MrWizard mentioned not having a lathe on board, since just last week I used the Makita and a file as a makeshift lathe to reduce a 3/8 bolt down to a 1/4-20 shoulder bolt to repair a neighbor's mobility scooter hoist.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most important tool I carry..........Credit Card/Cell Phone

If I can't fix it/make it workable with multimeter, standard set of screwdrivers, pliers, small set of wrenches/sockets, hacksaw, tape/tie wraps etc
(Your basic standard tool kit) THEN it is time for the phone call and CC)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tools - 2013
Tools - 2014
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MrWizard
Me I carry the whole garage / tool shed
I don't have drill press or a lathe or a roll away
But I got almost everything else

Meter, screw drivers, small wrenches, get used the most
But
Last week Monday morning before the heat wave
I rebuilt the sliding tray for my champion generator
After years of use the wood was bowing and tweaking the slides
I cut new 5/8 plywood with cordless circular saw, cut some 1/2" angle iron with the portable grinder ( front edge renforcement )
Drilled a few holes, and put everything back together
About 2 hours work, that should have taken 30 minutes

Oh.. and I did it all using the inverter for the grinder and Makia cordless saw and drill
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jetcare
Explorer
Explorer
Craftsman AC-DC Clamp-on Meter. About $60.00
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2012 Palomino Sabre 32' Travel Trailer

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I always joke that I carry enough tools to rebuild the engine on the side of the road if I needed to and I'm not so sure that it is a joke. However, the tools I use the most are simple screwdrivers for screws that occasionally back out due to road movement/vibration and the multimeter.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
The tool you don't have is the tool you'll need. So I'm carrying too many. Up to 1-1/4 sockets and combos. Even a small vise. Only been on side of road 3 times in 50 years. Prev.Maint is better than breakdowns. constantly checking everything.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
What is your most used "TOOL".

Just wondering,

The metric combination wrench set. -- Cummins is all Metric. Then a ratchet screw driver with changeable bits, (square drive) Newmar is assembled with square drive screws.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sockets, jack stand, breaker bar to change tires and re-torque wheels at 475 ftlb.
Multimeter and a tool set in a box which has all of my sockets, open end wrenches, and screwdrivers. The tools I use the most are for finding and fixing electrical issues.
If I need any other tools, there are always hardware or automotive stores where I can buy what I need.I also carry a credit card and Coach Net which minimizes most repairs that I need to do.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I still carry a full tool box. full to me anyway.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.