Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heating Your MH

simple274
Explorer
Explorer
Hello

I was thinking of buying an extra heater to heat the inside of my motorhome. Is there any good ones that you could recomenden.

Is there any good ones out there, and if so what are they, and model please.

Are the Eden Pure a good one?

Thank You
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a common discussion, Some folks swear by/at one or another type of heater but this is fact:

ALL 1500 watt heaters put out the exact same mount of heat, does not matter if it's a 20 dollar Big lots Special or an 800 dollar quarts tube job, they all put out the same amount of heat,, Some may blow harder (or not blow at all) some may make you feel warmer on the side facing them (While the other side freezes) but all put out exactly the same amount of heat.

So for a small "House" (RV) a small heater is my choice, ceramic cube.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
Oil heaters are heavy, slow to heat and slow to cool down.

that is precisely why I like them. a constant and even heat supply. no cycling.
bumpy

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 01/31/15 11:39am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

Check your RV heaters. Certainly not something you want to happen to a heater in an RV.

""We're voluntarily recalling Vornado VH110 heaters built in 2013 and sold from June 2013 to May 2014 due to a safety issue. Vornado has received 29 reports of units overheating and melting, including seven reports of heaters catching fire, resulting in one report of smoke inhalation and one report of property damage caused by soot and smoke.""
http://www.vornado.com/recall

After reading those reasons for the recall I don't think I'd buy one of these irregardless if the recall was only a specific year made!! As seen in General RV Issue's today.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Lasko towers (the shorter of the group) from Wal Mart. The max watts any of these can put out is 1,500. Oil heaters are heavy, slow to heat and slow to cool down.
2014 American Eagle

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Ceramic heaters. IMHO the safest and put out a lot of heat. Yet for safety cool to the touch. IMHO a must for a MH.

Read the labels and try and find one that still offers a "tip over switch".

After 10 years of using the cube ceramic heater I broke down and bought one of those new tower ceramic heaters which I just threw out after one month because of it's instability and the need to place in on the floor in the middle of the room and lack of good heat output.:(

Ya I know they are all 1,500 watts but they DO differ on heat output.

I bought one of these this year. It's the bomb. Good footprint for stability on the floor and you can put it up against the wall, kitchen cabinets or couch etc. So you can walk thru your MH. And a digital thermostat that actually works.

Finally a ceramic heater that you can put on the floor and not have to go around it and safe for the pets. And you only need one unlike the cubes you usually have to use two of them. This one puts out a 'ton of heat' and has louvers to direct the heat.
(right now I am using it to totally heat a small winter home I just bought in Florida!)

Walmart carries them.

Lasko
Cyclonic Digital Ceramic Heater

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Electric heater that use the 1500 watts to heat an element will produce about 5200 btu's of heat, MAX. Obviously on a medium or low setting, the heat output will be less.
If you want to spend more money for the best, you can more than double the btu output of any electric resistance heater with a portable heat pump that operates off of 120 volts. These can put out 10,000-12,000 btu's of heat and still use less than 1500 watts.
I use a portable heat pump/AC unit when we travel and have no problems even in the coldest near zero temps. Mine vents to the outside through a single hose and it produces 12,000 btu's of heat using less than 11 amps or 1300 watts of power. It also has the advantage of removing moisture from the coach, which is great in the Winter months. These are not the cheapest but if you travel a lot in very cold temps or very warm temps, they can help keep you comfortable. Since there is NO heating element, they are also safer around pets and people. Portable heat pump

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have two small electric heaters with fans. One was fairly expensive (maybe $120?) only because I bought it at West Marine and it was designed for use in boats as it has an Anti-Freeze setting. Basically you leave it plugged in in your stored boat or motorhome (if you're hooked to power) and the heater kicks on if the temperature drops below 40 degrees. Keeps things from freezing while at the same time not costing you a fortune running all the time.

Anyway, the thing I was going to say is efficiency is really relevant most of the time as generally when you are using an electric heater in a motorhome you have already paid a flat rate that includes power. So when I'm in a full hook up site I use only the electric heaters. When I'm footing the bill I use my propane heaters. I like the electric heat better as the propane heat seems to cause too much of a stuffy type feeling.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I heat 100% electrically at temperatures down to -36 C (-34 f).

My personal favorite is the radiant type. The safest is probably the oil filled type. Plan to upgrade the poor quality "stab" type outlets in the RV, or else avoid using the high setting.

I found some lovely 1/2 size oil filled that draw about 464 watts and tucked them into out of the way corners.

I use electric heated carpets, too.

Tank and pipe freeze up may be an issue. To solve that problem I replaced the return air grill for the furnace with a dual window fan.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 1500 watt oil filled radiator-type heater to fill in where the furnace doesn't reach at the front of my MH. It would never be able to replace the furnaces but it does complement them nicely.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
don't pay extra for the same wattage heater, electric heaters are 100% efficient, 1500w out put is just that as long as its working correctly and free of lint. Some one commented here not long ago about this. If you want a fancy looking wood box and lots of digital displays, then it will cost you, they still put out the same btu's. I bought a Lasko 5805 along with a cheapy force air 1500w from HD (19.95) and they work fine for me sitting here in my driveway at 26F.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
aztortuga wrote:
Check out the "Vornado" heater with a very nice fan. Sure it is a 1500 watt heater but by design it is quiet, can be digital temp controlled and it is efficient with its fan design. They run about $100. but come with a great warranty and the company is located in Kansas. I had one for some time and then bought another when wintering in Denver. They are a great supplemental heater and far better than the cheap ceramic walmart type heaters.

X's 2! Quiet while on high, and the design really disperse the flow of the heat. We find that by leaving the unit set on medium overnight, and the thermostat set about mid way, we can keep the front of the coach in the low 60's even in temperatures of mid 30's outside. We place ours on the kitchen table, with the power cord up off of the ground out of the way for our dog who likes to walk around at night.

In weather where we don't have shore power, I'll set the Hydrohot on and set the temperature on the front heater zone to 50, and rear zone to 55. I'll get up around 5:30AM, and fire up the Heat Buddy (on top of the table too) I'll set this to the medium setting. The front zone of the heater gets bumped up to 65. By 6:30AM - it's nice and toasty in the front of the coach. I had a inside outlet tapped into the coach large LP tank, and feed the LP to the Heat Buddy with their hose and filter. (And yes, we practice very safe habits on using the Heat Buddy. And maintain our safety devices well.)

Finally, when we have Shore Power with a 50 Amp supply, we do turn on our floors radiant heat - very nice for the feet to hit when stepping out of bed!

Best to all,
Smitty

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
any $18.00 ceramic cube from walmart will work. the best heat IMHO is with the oil filled radiator types. there are smaller versions available.
bumpy

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
view cpsc press release - Vornado.com

Check this out, recall on these heaters. All these heaters run on high for long periods cause wiring to over heat. Even oil filled heaters run at 1500 watts. Can cause damage to your inverter also.

Be careful and do not leave them unattended even while you are sleeping.

Pogoil.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Oil filled for sure for safety
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks