cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Height

luv2skyski
Explorer
Explorer
Hello there. I usually hang out in the Truck Camper section of the forums because that is what we own. However, we've been thinking about upgrading. I've looked at a few manufacturers and seen 11'3" a few times and was wondering if that is the camper height without an air conditioning unit? So I guess my question is what kind of camper heights do you guys have? Thanks in advance, Dave.
2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
18 REPLIES 18

Mainer1
Explorer
Explorer
Owning both a Northern-Lite truck camper and now a Class B+ camper I can testify to my 11' high garage door opening.

Back in 2003 when we purchased our truck camp we quickly found that it was too high for the 11' door, so after some research I found that if I swapped the roof AC unit for a low profile Polar Cub AC I could just clear my door and run my AC with a Honda EU2000 generator which as you know is a great perk!!:)
So when we traded for our current class B+ camper we wanted a rig low enough to store in our existing garage.
Our 2006 Trail Lite Model 251 with the Chevy 14K chassis is 10' 5" high with the standard roof AC and I have 6' 10" head room inside the living area too.
Good Luck in finding the rig that meets your needs.
2006 R-Vision Trail-Lite Model 251
Chevrolet 6.0 14,050lb. GVWR

ronfisherman
PonyGrrl wrote:
ronfisherman wrote:
10'11" to top of rear AC. GS states in their data that my RV can be from 10'5" to 11' high. :h

Is there a slider on the dash that allows you to select within that range? My new-to-me '05 GS didn't have that installed. But it's on a E350 chassis, so maybe that's why.

Nope. Must have to do with how much is in tanks. All 4 tanks are behind rear axle.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

PonyGrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ronfisherman wrote:
10'11" to top of rear AC. GS states in their data that my RV can be from 10'5" to 11' high. :h

Is there a slider on the dash that allows you to select within that range? My new-to-me '05 GS didn't have that installed. But it's on a E350 chassis, so maybe that's why.

ronfisherman
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
lawtonglenn wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
...I have two sacrificial (magnetic) antennas at the front of the cab that alert me to low branches, etc...

what an EXCELLENT Idea!... I'm going to install them now!

Actually one is a 14" high screw-in flexible radio antenna that I had replaced from the original, which seems to take a blow without damage. The second one is a 12" high magnetic cell phone booster antenna that I mounted to the lowered metal satellite TV antenna, which I do not use. This is the one that is occasionally knocked off and I can hear it rattling on the roof when it finds a low branch.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
...I have two sacrificial (magnetic) antennas at the front of the cab that alert me to low branches, etc...

what an EXCELLENT Idea!... I'm going to install them now!
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

luv2skyski
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Dave.
2004 Northern Lite 10-2000RR, 1999 F250

luv2skyski.com

Northern Lite Owners

Truck Camper Enthusiasts Map

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
luv2skyski wrote:
Hello there. I usually hang out in the Truck Camper section of the forums because that is what we own. However, we've been thinking about upgrading. I've looked at a few manufacturers and seen 11'3" a few times and was wondering if that is the camper height without an air conditioning unit? So I guess my question is what kind of camper heights do you guys have? Thanks in advance, Dave.
As you have read, everyone has a different number for the height. Keep in mind that the chassis under the box makes a difference also. The E-350 will be slightly lower than the E-450 with the same floorplan.

Our Trail-Lite specification sheet showed 10'-2" to the top of the air conditioner. But after loading our "good stuff", water, fuel, propane and 2 adults, we can squeeze under 10'-0".

Sounds like we would have to have full tanks to get into "ron.dittmer's" garage. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My 2004 Fleetwood 'C' has an aftermarket satellite TV dome on top of it and fits in my garage with 12' x 12' doors.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
luv2skyski wrote:
...what kind of camper heights do you guys have?
We own the Phoenix Cruiser 2350 in my signature, built on a Ford E350 Super Duty chassis. Stated in their specs is 9'-10" to the tippy top of the a/c unit. Our unit is true to spec given our garage door opening is 9'-11.25" high and our a/c unit clears it by about 1.25".

About our interior ceiling height, all I can say is that I am 5'11" tall and not a sloucher. When I wear my hiking boots, my head still clears things like the a/c, light fixtures, and smoke detector.

Our model is also offered on the Sprinter chassis. They stand 3" taller.

Longer Phoenix Cruiser models are built on the E450 which are also 3" taller at 10'-1".

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I needed to get into Missoula, MT last week, and woke up the middle of the night before thinking about the RR overpass going into town. I didn't remember the clearance height (which is 13'-0") until I turned onto Orange Street and saw the signs. My published height is 12'-3", but I have actually measured 12'-9" to the top of my antennas. I have two sacrificial (magnetic) antennas at the front of the cab that alert me to low branches, etc. While driving very slowly under the overpass, I heard nothing, so all was good. I slept better the next might.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We're 13'3" to the top of the AC. I always figure on 13'6" for clearance, very, very rarely do we encounter an issue.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

tgdameron
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust mfg's specs with regards to height. I always measure on level ground and add 6".
Tom Dameron
2016 Renegade Verona, Freightliner M2, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
From mfg brochure, 10 ft 8 in