Help?No overdrive!

rvcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Winnebago Aventurer
Chevy 454

-back brakes fixed
-left for Florida this morning
-after crazy time at Detroit border (another story)
Brakes started squealing again..same as before brake job
-then as got on hwy rv wouldnt go into overdrive
-had to pull off and wait for about one hour then
-got on hwy and rv went into overdrive fine
-same problem from Florida last spring that led me to having brake job done
-as soon as brakes r used..hear sqealing starting...then
no overdrive

very hard to drive never using brakes
anyone have any insite as to what could be causing this?
3 of us...Jim, Susan &
Linksy (Maine Coon with a drop of Persian)
25 REPLIES 25

rvcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
I sure wouldnt drive that rig from Canada all the way to Florida....no way

Crazy thing is...we had the mechanical\safety done by a very large reputable company, in business for many years, handle large trucks and rvs etc. and 3 mechanics said...this motorhome is in "phenomenal" condition....then we couldnt back up when getting home until it cooled down.:h But it went into overdrive on way back...no problem.
3 of us...Jim, Susan &

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
I sure wouldnt drive that rig from Canada all the way to Florida....no way
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

prism
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
At any time did anyone remove the master cylinder? A possibility is the brakes are not releasing fully when the master cylinder is released because the piston does not return completely. It could be as simple as the pedal not releasing fully.

will "NOT" cause automatic not to shift into reverse and or overdrive

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
At any time did anyone remove the master cylinder? A possibility is the brakes are not releasing fully when the master cylinder is released because the piston does not return completely. It could be as simple as the pedal not releasing fully.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

rvcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
koda55 wrote:
I would look at draining the transmission and having the filter changed.
I would also look for metal in the pan.

Transmission was rebuilt just over two years ago. Mechanic
did say there was no metal at that time. However, not changed
since then.
3 of us...Jim, Susan &

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at draining the transmission and having the filter changed.
I would also look for metal in the pan.

prism
Explorer
Explorer
rvcruiser wrote:
A long time coming update.

--in January....had the caliphers and pads replaced, brake fluid replaced, checked and autopark was working fine
--headed back to Canada in March...storm damage...delayed in Tampa to
fix
--headed back towing car, outside temp in 90's, would not go into overdrive again.
--stopped on hwy about 20 min...decreased sensitivity on brake buddy...then fine all the way back.

--outside temp on last leg of trip was in low 70's, raining and stop and go traffic, however since our site was waterlogged, we went into a pull in site for a day, so unknown if reverse would have worked.
--moving to our own site next day, backed into spot no problem, parked for 4 months, all wheels covered

--insurance wanted a new mechanical\safety check
--took rv 10 miles (mainly highway), had check done, perfectly fine, backed out of garage...drove back 10 miles, outside temperature upper 60's
--no problem going into overdrive
--tried to reverse into spot...heard gear change, rv was as if in neutral (would go forward and also would roll forward)
--had to wait about an hour, engine off, then it went into reverse and we back in.
--checked trans fluid, full and clear

Could the not going into overdrive and not going into reverse be connected?
Anyone have any ideas?
We are supposed to be heading to Florida end of month.

Yes I would say your transmission is about to totally fail based on this post information as this post makes the most sense to me as a retired master mechanic as far as trying to interpete whats wrong.

rvcruiser
Explorer
Explorer
A long time coming update.

--in January....had the caliphers and pads replaced, brake fluid replaced, checked and autopark was working fine
--headed back to Canada in March...storm damage...delayed in Tampa to
fix
--headed back towing car, outside temp in 90's, would not go into overdrive again.
--stopped on hwy about 20 min...decreased sensitivity on brake buddy...then fine all the way back.

--outside temp on last leg of trip was in low 70's, raining and stop and go traffic, however since our site was waterlogged, we went into a pull in site for a day, so unknown if reverse would have worked.
--moving to our own site next day, backed into spot no problem, parked for 4 months, all wheels covered

--insurance wanted a new mechanical\safety check
--took rv 10 miles (mainly highway), had check done, perfectly fine, backed out of garage...drove back 10 miles, outside temperature upper 60's
--no problem going into overdrive
--tried to reverse into spot...heard gear change, rv was as if in neutral (would go forward and also would roll forward)
--had to wait about an hour, engine off, then it went into reverse and we back in.
--checked trans fluid, full and clear

Could the not going into overdrive and not going into reverse be connected?
Anyone have any ideas?
We are supposed to be heading to Florida end of month.
3 of us...Jim, Susan &

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
Update?
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If they towed it without removing the drive shaft, they could have destroyed your parking brake, if it has a driveline style on tail shaft of transmission.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood99 wrote:
Parking Brake on Drive Shaft disengaging completely? Could be out of adjustment from the past towing work.
I'm thinking the same thing! but don't know if his chassis is set up with a parking brake on drive shaft.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
Parking Brake on Drive Shaft disengaging completely? Could be out of adjustment from the past towing work.
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

lfeather
Explorer
Explorer
rvcruiser wrote:
1997 Winnebago Aventurer
Chevy 454

-back brakes fixed
-left for Florida this morning
-after crazy time at Detroit border (another story)
Brakes started squealing again..same as before brake job
-then as got on hwy rv wouldnt go into overdrive
-had to pull off and wait for about one hour then
-got on hwy and rv went into overdrive fine
-same problem from Florida last spring that led me to having brake job done
-as soon as brakes r used..hear sqealing starting...then
no overdrive

very hard to drive never using brakes
anyone have any insite as to what could be causing this?

Sounds like the brakes are siezing and putting too much load on the engine and preventing trans to go into overdrive. Like the engine/tranny thinks the coach is going uphill or something. Check the brake/wheel temp next time it happens. Could be bad calipers, bad rubber brake hoses(?), bad master cylinder or, a long shot, but maybe bad brake fluid? When you say you had a brake job, what did they do?
Larry, Debbie & Max the Pug
USAF Retired
2014 Itasca Reyo P
2016 Subaru Forester 2.5i 6 speed manual transmission

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
When you stop for what ever reason will the coach move forward when you release the brakes? In other words if the coach will creep forward (on a level surface) with out applying gas the brakes most likely are not your problem.

As for the drive shaft, towing with it connected can cause transmission damage even for short distance and it sounds like you had ot towed twice with it connected.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport