cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Replacing Coleman ( wire thermostat

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing and old Coleman analog thermostat with a Honeywell digital. My old Thermostat has 9 wires, the new one doesn't. I have no spots for the Y1 & Y2 wires. What are those for and do I need them connected? I have also seen conflicting information on the Red Wire and Blue(ground) wire placements. Some say don't use red wire, as it is only to power the old thermostat and the new one takes batteries and to put the ground in the R spot. I watched many videos and read many blogs on the subject, seemed pretty straight forward. Now that I have it all apart and rewired, I am not sure if I have it right. Also, to I set the new thermostat on gas or electric?
11 REPLIES 11

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
here is the current configuration:

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Info deleted....
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
No, the fan high and low are the GH & GL wires, as I bought a toggle and have already used them. I just can't figure out if I need the F1 & F2 wires. I know they are stage one and two of the system, as I have a two stage system. I just need to know if they are required to run my particular system. Does anyone know???

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
It's been awhile so I'm not sure, but could those be the fan high and low speeds? I had to wire in a toggle switch on the side. Think it was discussed in the link as that was my primary reference.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you "brirene" for the link. I have a dual system as well and I think this is the problem I am having. I am hoping this will solve my issue. I still don't have any info on what the F1 & F2 wires are for or if I even need them so if anyone can answer that for me, I would surely appreciate it.

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
They made it look so easy, now I am just frustrated and confused. The furnace is a two stage if that helps. I guess that's what the F1 & F2 wires are for, the first and second stage. Should I just give up and put the old crummy one back in? I have like 3 gray wires, no brown wire, one blue, one red, one white, one yellow and then the two F wires.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your OLD Coleman with 9 wires.......

Did you mark what they were on OLD t-stat?
Color and where connected????? (White----'W' Etc.)

Do you have a 2 stage furnace?

What are ALL the colors and were do you have them connected?

What Model Honeywell?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
There is a link on LAdam's (former moderator) profile that I found very helpful. I'm glad it's still available. Hopefully will help you.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
here is just one

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f68/new-honeywell-thermostat-replacing-coleman-mach-22238.html

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one that everyone was using in the online videos. Some people even inserted a toggle to switch between high and low fan speed but it isn't really needed, tho I did buy one.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
It can be tricky. You have to compare both schematics.
First of all did you verify the new thermostat is compatible with your system?
Some are and some not.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE