cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help with towing

dabolt55
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to get a car hauler to tow my jeep behind the rv. I was told I needed the 7500lb tow hitch. The one on the rv says 5000lbs. any input on this ???? thanks
9 REPLIES 9

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
What is the exact year/model Jeep? Hard top/Soft top? What is the curb weight of the Jeep? What is the weight of the trailer? What type of RV/motorhome do you have, year, make model, chassis type, engine, transmission, etc? What did the MH manufacturer placard the hitch at, weight wise?

Do you have or plan on a transmission cooler and/or aluminum deep pan, temp gauge, etc. Easy to kill an automatic transmission towing.

Too many unanswered questions to give you any response.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Weigh it and the trailer, then decide. My Jeep weighs 5200 lbs (CAT scale), but it's got full width Dana 60's, 40" tall tires, 1/4 armor plate on all 4 corners. Throw it on top of a car trailer and I'm at 7K.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume since you have a 5,000# hitch, your MH is rated to tow 5,000# or less. What is your MH ?
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
You can upgrade your hitch, frame, suspension, all you want BUT what is your transmission rated to tow????? This more then anything, in an RV is the determining factor in towing capacity.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
If you use a weight distribution hitch, it will increase the rating of the hitch. Just read the fine print on the hitch.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dabolt55 wrote:
I was going to get a car hauler to tow my jeep behind the rv. I was told I needed the 7500lb tow hitch. The one on the rv says 5000lbs. any input on this ???? thanks

what are the weights of the jeep, trailer, etc.? without those numbers no answer can be given.
bumpy

MrLugs
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem so I ended up Flat Towing my modified TJ. Even with an aluminum car hauler your going to be over 5000.
My buddy upgraded his hitch and had the frame reinforced to theoretically 10,000lbs, that being just a guesstimate. So he is at about 5700 lbs which is the Jeep (TJ) and aluminum trailer. He has a 29' with a A-class ford f-53 Chassis so there is not very much extension off the original frame, which helps. Look's solid to me.
2000 Southwind Storm 30H 31.5'
Banks Powerpack system
2003 Jeep Rubicon Toad
and a Dog

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your jeep alone is easily 4-5,000#. Add to that the weight of the car hauler, tow hitch, and you're way over the weight limit of your hitch.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Input?
Like what? If your loaded weight is under 5,000 pounds you will be fine. If its over 5,000 pounds then you need a higher rated platform