cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hemi Engines

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know why these engines are not being used by Workhorse as a option to Big Block Chevy? Thanks for all opinions!
43 REPLIES 43

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
usersmanual,
YOU should have a bit of knowledge before you call BS on anyone. I spent 4 years servicing 500CI cylinder heads on a NHRA Nitro Funny Car. Trust me when I tell you the stems are 90 degrees to each other.

I was talking valve position in the head , my mistake, not valve angle
like chevys are side by side and hemis are 180 from each other

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
usersmanual,
YOU should have a bit of knowledge before you call BS on anyone. I spent 4 years servicing 500CI cylinder heads on a NHRA Nitro Funny Car. Trust me when I tell you the stems are 90 degrees to each other.

lol. I wonder what kind of a domed piston you would have to run to get it to even fire, let alone do any work, with a 180 degree valve angle.
Wildmanbaker

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual,

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
10forty2 wrote:
You guys looking to put your RVs on the drag strip? :B J/K with ya!

Not sure WHY Dodge has never gotten into the RV game, and why GM got out of it. But, everything I've ever read about the Triton V10 is positive...well, except for those few years that they didn't put enough threads in the spark plug holes....

Just remember, though...horsepower gets you to the end of the track faster, but torque is what makes it FEEL good getting there!

Nothing wrong with racing buses.

I think my 1980 Pace Arrow was on Dodge chassis. One of the best chassis I had, beside the "bicycle" wheels that I had to upgrade to wider ones.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
chaffeekid wrote:
The ford v10 is a high revving engine, and is 6.8 Liters
The big Chevy is 8.1 Liters, big difference. Loved the workhorse and Chevy in our 2002 Pace Arrow. And, yes I know all about the brake problems thanks.

I believe that you should compare the rev limits on those two engines before you say the V10 is a high revving engine. It may sound like it is a higher revving engine, but there are 2 more pistons making noise than in a V8.
Wildmanbaker

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
usersmanual wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:

you missed the point completely. WORKHORSE choose the brake system and installed and sold it to you. Therfore the recall was a workhorse recall and their responsibility to make sure all the workhorse owners were contacted

Most owners, myself included, never had any brake problems. Maybe it was because we used our coaches, or because we flushed out the brake system, like we have always done on our RV brakes. In any case, to me it was a minor issue that WORKHORSE took care of. Problem solved now it's old history.
Here is a place that can give you all of the power you will need for a Workhorse chassis. Performance engines

there were only certain models that required the retro fit recall but at the time it was a big recall. Lack of flushing and usage were not the reason of the recall. but good ideas to uphold
I know that bosch claimed active use would reduce caliper failure but that's a bunch of BS they flat out made the calipers with the wrong tolerances using a Bakelite piston

Oh, it was a big recall, and my Workhorse model got the retrofit calipers for free, but still, not everyone experienced any problems with their brakes. To me it was a minor inconvenience to have to take the coach in to have the brakes changed.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
usersmanual wrote:

you missed the point completely. WORKHORSE choose the brake system and installed and sold it to you. Therfore the recall was a workhorse recall and their responsibility to make sure all the workhorse owners were contacted

Most owners, myself included, never had any brake problems. Maybe it was because we used our coaches, or because we flushed out the brake system, like we have always done on our RV brakes. In any case, to me it was a minor issue that WORKHORSE took care of. Problem solved now it's old history.
Here is a place that can give you all of the power you will need for a Workhorse chassis. Performance engines

there were only certain models that required the retro fit recall but at the time it was a big recall. Lack of flushing and usage were not the reason of the recall. but good ideas to uphold
I know that bosch claimed active use would reduce caliper failure but that's a bunch of BS they flat out made the calipers with the wrong tolerances using a Bakelite piston

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
usersmanual wrote:

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
chaffeekid wrote:
The big Chevy is 8.1 Liters, big difference. Loved the workhorse and Chevy in our 2002 Pace Arrow. And, yes I know all about the brake problems thanks.
The brake problems were caused by Bosch suppling RV manufactures with bad calipers! The brake problems were caused by Bosch!

still a workhorse problem any way you look at it
Yea right! My water hose broke under my kitchen sink last week due to a faulty lock ring by Phifister and I'm to blame the builder of my house! Nice try I'm not buying it!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
chaffeekid wrote:
The brake problems were caused by Bosch suppling RV manufactures with bad calipers! The brake problems were caused by Bosch!

Yea right! My water hose broke under my kitchen sink last week due to a faulty lock ring by Phifister and I'm to blame the builder of my house! Nice try I'm not buying it!

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
chaffeekid wrote:

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
chaffeekid wrote:

chaffeekid
Explorer
Explorer

MGySgt USMC(R) 61-91:)
N0LZS
Wife, has put up with me for 57 years :B
Amber, a Cockapoo, and Bambi a Hyper Chihuahua
2004 Winnebago Brave 34D, 8.1L 496cubes, Allison transmission, two Slides.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
MotorPro wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
randallb wrote:
The new Hemi is not a true hemi but kind of a combination of a trick flow design and a BBC head. A true hemi has the valve stems 90 degrees to each other and a direct line from intake to exhaust port. The new hemi is more of a splayed valve. Since Dodge is the truck line almost all of their heavy trucks rely on the Cummins 6.7. Now that would make a nice RV chassis but no one wants a FRED. FREDs are inherently noisy.
Randy

BS The 426 hemi valves were 180 degrees to each other and so are the new 5.7 and 6.4 engines
first of all 426 valves are 90 degrees apart. Second the new "HEMI" is not ever close to true hemi. Chrysler stole the design over 60 years ago and then copyrighted the word and now it is catch phrase and not a true design.

The valves are directly opposing each other on the old hemi and the new hemi and the heads of both are of hemispherical design
so although they are quit different because of carbureted verses fuel injection and strokes and cams and Compression ratios and block design etc there both HEMI Head engines