cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Here We Go Again, Gas Will Be Above $4 a Gallon By Summer

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Gas prices killed a lot of rv business when it went above $4 once before, and with the problems in Ukraine it might go above $4 again, its $3.70 a gal today in Vegas..

I am now going to have to plan shorter smarter trips to keep the cost down but will never give up my rving life style..

http://www.sgvtribune.com/business/20140415/southern-california-gas-prices-soar-above-4-a-gallon
53 REPLIES 53

CallThisCamping
Explorer
Explorer
The only reason for the high gas prices is the same as it's always been: because they can.
There is no other reason.
Tony Tait
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 32H
Pulling 2002 Jeep Liberty

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
what will be, will be. Not going to change my plans.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Gsturner wrote:
Locally, prices for gas dropped 4 cents ($3.39 to $3.35) but raised 9 cents for diesel ($3.68 to $3.77). This occurred almost simultaneously across 6 stations along 15 miles of interstate, in multiple municipalities and two counties.

Yep, just coincidences, there are no cartel...I wonder if they phone to each other while we are sleeping, what triggers the price to go up all of a sudden, maybe they use telepathy.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Gsturner
Explorer
Explorer
Locally, prices for gas dropped 4 cents ($3.39 to $3.35) but raised 9 cents for diesel ($3.68 to $3.77). This occurred almost simultaneously across 6 stations along 15 miles of interstate, in multiple municipalities and two counties.
SKP 115048
2016 Winnebago View 24M
2015 Harley Heritage Softail as toad
Retired:
2007 Titan LE with the Big Tow Package
2010 Rockwood 8315BSS
2008 Suzuki GZ 250-Response to 3/4 Life Crisis :C

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Gas is US 4.80 here in the BC interiour. 1.40 litre canadian. I have seen it a little higher here a couple times in the last 7 years but for the most part fuel hasn't gone up or down more than 20 percent in the last 7 years. Same as in Palm Springs. Goes up and down but really hasn't changed that much except for a drop during the last part of the bush era financial collapse. Meh. Won't keep me off the road. :).
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

getcarter
Explorer
Explorer
Just filled up at Costco today $399.9 Else where in the SF bay area. $399.9 - $ 449.9
I'm in san jose, ca
Headed to Alaska May 20

kelly
getcarter
wonderful wife
Sammy the dog
2005 CC 40ft DP toad 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
When was the last time you saw diesel below 4 dollars?

Diesel should always be lower as it needs less refining.

Just think of the boost to the economy if it was priced correctly. Every item you purchased is trucked by a diesel engine. Lower the price of diesel and the price on every item would decrease because of reduced shipping costs.

It is held artificially high by the oil companies. They reduce the supply which increases demand which rises the price.

I'm told that diesel is so high because the demand is higher in Europe so they send the majority there, decreasing the supply here thus increasing the price. Sounds as good as any other reason.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is some reasons about the why of fuel prices. This will also show that gasoline is costing more than diesel. Thank a lot of the various taxes for the price difference at the pump. Prices on the open market do not include taxes. Todays report

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Even if we go electric, propane, natural gaz, hydrogene, nuclear, we the sucker will keep pay. As long as the big players are making money, that is all that count at the end of the day.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
When was the last time you saw diesel below 4 dollars?

Diesel should always be lower as it needs less refining.

Just think of the boost to the economy if it was priced correctly. Every item you purchased is trucked by a diesel engine. Lower the price of diesel and the price on every item would decrease because of reduced shipping costs.

It is held artificially high by the oil companies. They reduce the supply which increases demand which rises the price.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Regular = 4.20 /gal
Diesel 3.99 / gal
in San Diego
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
kaydeejay wrote:
smkettner wrote:
I am waiting for someone to build a Class A on a Tesla chassis ๐Ÿ˜‰
Yup, and it might get 50 miles on a charge! Then what?
Or it might go 200, then you plug in for free and do it all over again the next day ๐Ÿ˜‰

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Gas prices killed a lot of rv business when it went above $4 once before,

That's not an accurate statement. $4 gas didn't help, but there was a lot more going on in '08 and '09 that factored into every industry losing sales. Cars, RVs, boats, etc.

While the speculators are using every excuse to raise the prices above $4, the laws of supply and demand eventually spoil thier plans. We've been reading stories of $5 for a long time now. I've yet to see it. $4.00+ gas won't last too long. It's the psychological breaking point for people. When they see $4, they start changing plans. Gas usage goes down, then the price drops again.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
I remember being in the Chevron station on the corner of State and Snow in Parma Ohio in late 1999 the day gas hit $2 a gallon, there was a small crowd in the store watching me pay $75 to fill up my 454 dulley. The store clerk said she had never seen anyone buy that much gas (this is not a truck stop) The rest of the crowd started calling for the impeachment of George Bush, he he ha ha where is the outrage now?