cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Herkimer Diamond Mines

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wanted to take my 9 year old Grandson to the diamond mines in Herkimer area to look for quarts crystals next week from Wed to Fri. In doing a search I have found 3 CG's in this area. A KOA with the mine across the street and a river in back of CG. A West Canada Creek CG also along the river and Ace of Diamonds CG that has its own mine. For those that are familiar with the area is the Ace mine any better for finding the crystals than the KOA? Also I can't see myself breaking rocks in the hot sun in a open mine for very long, can these crystals be found in the creek with a mask and snorkel in the KOA CG OR West Canada CG?
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at the KOA and went to the KOA mines across the street. My Gson and wife liked looking for the diamonds. I found more along the stream than in the mine itself. They only blast once a year in the spring to unearth new gems, so that is probably a better time to go. I am not a KOA kind of camper but this one is nice, had a site right on the river. Gson caught one trout, all and all a good trip. If I went back I would go to the Ace of Diamond mine right next store as it is a commercial working mine and they blast and move rock every day and I think it would be easier to find more gems there. Thanks again for your recommendations.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to thank everyone for the info. Has anyone fished or seen trout caught in the river in July I understand that it is one of NY's better trout streams? Usually it slows in July unless the water is cold.

bz_ny
Explorer
Explorer
I have stayed at the KOA twice most recently July of last year and it is very nice. Level sites, clean, and friendly staff. We stayed in a 35' Motorhome towing a 6x10 enclosed trailer. Walk across the street to the mine. Not much else in the area. They inner tube down the creek at the campground.

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
Ace of Diamonds CG is VERY small. I doubt anything much over 20 feet will fit. It is up a small, but steep, hill. There are very few amenities at all. We stay at the KOA frequently as my mother-in-law is in a nursing home in Herkimer. The campground is quite nice. It has a nice playground for kids, dog park, small swimming pool, etc. If you stay there, your receipt gives you a minimal discount on mining.

The campground at West Canada Creek looks nice -- we drive by it on our way to and from Herkimer. Check the mileage though -- it always feels like a long distance from the KOA to there.
Cardinal 33TSLE

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any body camp at the Ace of Diamonds CG?

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Found them just walking around the campground.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
They commercial mine once a week and they sell you a bag with dirt and stones. I found one out in the rocks but bought a bag of dirt and they had a few big diamonds in them.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Vet Man wrote:
We picked up all the Diamonds we wanted right from the KOA. As stated you can buy a bag with diamonds already in it, shift them out in there sluiceway outside the store door. Take a short drive to the Erie Canal, you ride the boat down through the locks. Historic and fun, enjoyed the area.
Did you find them just on the ground in the CG or along the river banks?

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up all the Diamonds we wanted right from the KOA. As stated you can buy a bag with diamonds already in it, shift them out in there sluiceway outside the store door. Take a short drive to the Erie Canal, you ride the boat down through the locks. Historic and fun, enjoyed the area.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stayed at the KOA. They are the owners of the mine too. They mine commercially and you can buy a salted bag after breaking some rocks.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts