cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hitch mount cargo carrier

MegB
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2000 Pleasureway and would like to put a hitch mount cargo carrier on to hold folding bike and x-pens (for dogs). Can anyone with a PW advise me on which one works best and why?
Thanks,Meg
10 REPLIES 10

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
Stor-N-Boat

neat,
bumpy

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Stor-N-Boat
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
No clue, but these were mentioned here a while back. I have not nailed down the maker, but these appear to mainly sit on the hitch, but use the hinges for additional support.

This is fairly inexpensive, but it provides decent security, and one can get a canvas bag to put inside... or buy both. Some plastic carriers might be able to be wiggled open, while this locking carrier will require some definite use of a crowbar or bolt cutters in order to get to the stored contents inside. (Assuming one is using a locking hitch pin... without that, all bets are off.)

I can't make out the printing on the lower right of the unit to see what the brand is. it is possible that the unit hinges out to the right to get into the rear door?
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
No clue, but these were mentioned here a while back. I have not nailed down the maker, but these appear to mainly sit on the hitch, but use the hinges for additional support.

This is fairly inexpensive, but it provides decent security, and one can get a canvas bag to put inside... or buy both. Some plastic carriers might be able to be wiggled open, while this locking carrier will require some definite use of a crowbar or bolt cutters in order to get to the stored contents inside. (Assuming one is using a locking hitch pin... without that, all bets are off.)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:

I'd like to see these sold in the US. It definitely blocks the rear view, but just for additional cubic feet, it can't be beaten.

that is similar but a lot more elaborate than the one I saw. who makes it?
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer

I'd like to see these sold in the US. It definitely blocks the rear view, but just for additional cubic feet, it can't be beaten.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:

I've seen seen one that can drop down a set of wheels so it can be detached from the "B" and be used as a hand-pulled wagon.

I saw one I think from Germany that was a molded clam shell that was sort of shaped like a bicycle and was designed to hold two bikes. it would swing down and could be wheeled over and chained to a tree etc. I thought it would be great on a B and you could add hanging rods, shelves, grill storage, etc. in it.
bumpy

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
eTrailer has tends of thousands of YouTube videos on various items, including hitch mounted cargo carriers. Might be worth a look-see as a starting place. I've been looking at one that has a locking lid or a Stowaway2 with a swing-away hitch.

I've seen seen one that can drop down a set of wheels so it can be detached from the "B" and be used as a hand-pulled wagon.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight has a coupon available for their aluminum model. a good buy
bumpy

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Stowaway from the previous owner who used it on his PW, have it for our Class C. They are well made and will fit your PW quite well; you will have to remove it to open your rear door, or get the swing out hitch. Don't put too much weight in it or it will lighten up the load on the front end which will affect your steering. The Stowaway carriers are made in Oregon and look good on a PW.