Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Draining fresh water tank

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C Model 238RB

Working my way through the systems... now it's water.

(1) I'm looking to drain the fresh water tank and sanitize it. It took a while to find the tank; it was under the couch. But it's not visible from under the coach, and has two pipes going in -- rather, in and out.

I was expecting to find a drain plug (like the one on the hot water tank) but no joy. So to drain the tank the only thing I can think of is to turn on the pump and and some faucets and let the grey water outlet drain onto the ground. Anyone got any better ideas?

(2) I ran across a water testing kit in Home Depot this morning. Under 10 bucks, and tests for a lot, including "bacteria." Anyone have experience with out of these? Sorry, didn't get specifics.

(3) I'm running across people who don't bother to sanitize the fresh water tank. They use that water for washing and flushing, and either carry bottled water or fill up a jug direct from the campground water, sometimes using an inline filter. Any comments?

Thanks,

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
13 REPLIES 13

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
RvBill3 wrote:
I sanitize at the beginning of the season. We use the water for everything, including drinking. MH has a whole house filter, which I also change each season. The water is the same as at home--never have had any problems with it.

X2 I do the same. Never had a problem with the water.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats!

So that should be the last check mark on your scavenger hunt list :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RvBill3
Explorer
Explorer
I sanitize at the beginning of the season. We use the water for everything, including drinking. MH has a whole house filter, which I also change each season. The water is the same as at home--never have had any problems with it.
2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
Got it! Sometimes knowing there is a solution is the major breakthrough. All your comments made it clear there HAD to be a way to drain the thing.

There is. What looked like a smudge on the plumbing schematic was, in fact, the drain outlet. And the drain hose led to a compartment under the forward seat in the dinette; the electrical stuff is under the aft seat. Makes sense. And the valve didn't look at all like what I was expecting: it's a small version of the "slider" valves which control the flow of waste water from storage tanks to the great outdoors.

The exit route under the coach is a very anonymous short piece of black tubing; I was looking for something that looked more like the drain plug for crankcase oil.

So not only did I find how to drain the fresh-water tank, I found the water pump -- wondered where it was; good to know in case I have to fiddle with (or replace) it.

That's actually the last of the major mysteries. I shudder to think what it would have cost me to take it to a dealer and get these questions answered.

Many, many thanks! In time, I hope to be a source of information, not just a consumer.

Rich
Ford V10

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
olygene wrote:
There is an old RVnet forum discussing draining the Coachmen FWT. It's for a 31 model so may not apply to the 23 model in which case you may need the 23 manual. It was discussed in 2009. I tried to copy the URL but cannot do so; but you might be able to google it. Also, the 1999 generic Coachmen RV manual is still available online but does not discuss specifically where the drain valve is located. Hopefully someone with the same RV as you can join in here.

That link didn't work for me. Is this what it is supposed to be ?http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/22728307/print/true.cfm
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

olygene
Explorer
Explorer
There is an old RVnet forum discussing draining the Coachmen FWT. It's for a 31 model so may not apply to the 23 model in which case you may need the 23 manual. It was discussed in 2009. I tried to copy the URL but cannot do so; but you might be able to google it. Also, the 1999 generic Coachmen RV manual is still available online but does not discuss specifically where the drain valve is located. Hopefully someone with the same RV as you can join in here.

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
My fresh water tank drain is right next to my dump valves (makes sense since it's a low point), maybe you have one near there as well?

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a low point drain valve somewhere, quite possibly accessible from inside the coach. We also use the tank water primarily for washing and drink bottled water. But, I sanitize the tank twice a year. It is so easy to do, why take a chance?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Finding the fresh water drain can be like a scavenger hunt......
Can you see all sides of tank? Should be a 'fill' line, a water pump 'suction' line, a 'vent' line and then a 'drain line'. Drain valve could be under RV, inside a compartment, behind a 'panel'. Let the hunt begin :B

Test kit....WHY?
Do you test you house water?

Sanitize
1/4 cup house hold bleach to 10 gallons water
If sanitizing tank might as well sanitize plumbing system by running the bleach treated water thru hot/cold lines
Let sit for several hours then drain/flush/rinse

I sanitize our fresh water tank(s) once....when we first get rid.
After that I don't.
We fill with good treated water source (city water etc.)
We use the water just like we do in S&B House....wash/drink/cook. It's the same water.
We drain fresh water tank if not going to be used with in a month. Then refill with fresh.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
As the other poster stated--------look under the tank for a drain. I wouldn't spend money on a test kit. Just add clorox, heavy dose, and let it sit and then rinse the tank a few times. Since you use bottled water for drinking the clorox taste should go away after a while.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2004 jayco we have a low point drain valve used to drain the water system. WE only use our fresh water tank for dish washing, showers and bathroom. WE buy our drinking water in bottles.

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I did. Now that I know where the tank is, I looked again. And it's not visible from under the coach.

R
Ford V10

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Did you lie on the ground and look at the bottom of the tank?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)