cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Water Heater Odor

terrykemm
Explorer
Explorer
I have been dewinterizing and flushing the anti freeze out of the lines and hot water heater. I have flushed the hot water heater for about an hour and it still seems to have a stale odor. Is there some way to get rid of the odor?

Thanks
Terry
6 REPLIES 6

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I battled with an odor, mine smelled musty. tried everything, finally pulled the heater, and found rust under the Styrofoam. replaced heater, no smell
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife 🙂

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Terry, I'm betting you have a Suburban water heater. If you read in owner's manual, Suburban recommends draining the water heater whenever it's not being used. Suburban uses an anode rod that reacts with sulfur in the water to produce hydrogen sulfide (sewer gas) and it's hard to get that stink out. I've gotten in the practice of draining my water heater after every weekend's use to avoid that problem and make the anodes last much longer. I even use a siphon hose to get that last 1/2 gallon off the bottom of the tank - that way, no water comes in contact with the rod between outings.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a good time to change your Anode rod if you have one.
LINK
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
after the bleach then pump a gallon of white vinegar thru the system. That usually gets rid of most taste/smells.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the heater off and the water cool try lifting the relief valve at the top of the tank. You could have a big air bubble that is causing the problem. Also a flush with a light bleach mix and again popping the relief to ensure the solution is getting to all surfaces. Sometimes city water has enough to clean and disinfect the tank but sometimes it needs a boost.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sanitize the system using 1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons

Next time you winterize bypass the water heater so anti-freeze doesn't go into it. No need for anti-freeze in WH just draining
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31