cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do I get her ready for the long, winter nap?

JCV220
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought our first motorhome (2000 four winds 31z) and unfortunately, it's already time to park it for the winter ๐Ÿ˜ž

It was winterized already when we bought it so I don't have to blow out water or pump antifreeze... I'm curious what I should do for the engine and the generator? My plan was to park it on some 2x10's, pour some seafoam in the tank and run it for a bit. Then cover it up and start the long wait. What about the generator? Should I run that as well so it gets the seafoam treatment? Anything else (or different) I should be doing?

Thanks in advance

The TV: 2004 Ford F250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, V10
The RV: Laredo by Keystone, 29BH
Wonderful wife
2 great kids
one spoiled English Bulldog

6 REPLIES 6

JCV220
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the replies! So I'm going to fill the tank... When you say "seafoam both engines" - do I just treat the fuel then run both engines for a spell to get the treated fuel into them?

The local RV dealer says to use stabil, I had planned to use seafoam since folks here mention it a lot. Am I right to be planning to use seafoam or should I use stabil... Or both? Lol

It sounds like good advice to put a load on the generator occasionally but I had planned to bring the batteries into my warm basement and the rv will have a full cover on it. Do you think things will be ok if I leave the rig alone until spring?

I usually put decon in my fifth wheel for rodent control. Was going to do the same thing for the motorhome. What do yo all use?

Thanks again for the tips.

The TV: 2004 Ford F250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, V10
The RV: Laredo by Keystone, 29BH
Wonderful wife
2 great kids
one spoiled English Bulldog

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
I keep seeing the title of this thread, and thinking it is about euthanizing a pet.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sea foam both engines ,take all food out, buy fresh cab product for mouse control. and do as others have posted. I drive mine every couple months, but its stored in my shop. on dry nice days.put battery tenders on all batteries.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Follow your neighbors to Florida for the winter.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fill up the gas tank before putting it up for the winter. The less air space there is in the gas tank, the less chance for condensation and water in the gas.

Other than that, it sounds like you have things pretty well under control. Running the generator for a spell (under some load, such as a space heater) every month or so is a wise idea. If you're due for an oil change, it makes sense to do it before storage rather than afterwards so that you have fresh oil rather than possibly contaminated oil.

If you don't have power available where you're storing the RV, charge the batteries fully and then disconnect them and leave them be. If left connected, the parasitic loads (particularly on the house batteries) will probably be sufficient to run them down completely and sitting discharged will damage them. If you can leave it plugged in, at least sporadically, the converter will keep the house battery charged.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Once a month, go out and run the generator for a couple of hours. Plug in some heaters to give it a load. Work on an inside project for awhile while the rv is warm.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO