cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Important is Double Pane Windows? (Precept 3UL & others)

gowestwardho
Explorer
Explorer
I was curious if anyone had an opinion on how important double pane windows might be on a coach? In looking at the Jayco Precept 31UL I noticed it is all single pane glass, albeit frameless and tinted. (But for insulation value that means nothing).

I'm speaking more of high temperature camping than winter camping in this regard. Has anyone tried living with both and noticed a significant difference in inside temperature and the need to run the A/C a lot more because of double pane (or lack thereof)? Or is it NBD?
41 REPLIES 41

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had both and prefer the dual pane windows to the point that it would be a deal breaker on any coach without them. For those that think the windshield is ONLY single pane glass, they are wrong. The windshield is dual pane with a plastic layer laminated in between instead of an air gap. The windshield is also at least twice as thick as a single pane window glass.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I don't think you're being fair to your own coach. The Bounder has been one of the best and most popular Fleetwood products for years. It's certainly not an entry level gasser. There are probably more Bounders on the road than any other model of Class A.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
The Bounder is not an entry level coach. It's more mid level. The entry level has been the Storm, Flair, Terra and Fiesta, maybe even a few others.

In 1995 it was the Fleetwood Flair, Bounder, South Wind, Pace Arrow, all the Diesel Pushers and the American Line of coaches. That surely don't put the Bounder in the middle. But they all had dual pane windows as standard equipment, except for the Flair. Please don't push my ol Bounder into a higher tax bracket. GRIN

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Dual pane windows are a pain when they start to fog between the panes. That gets annoying, and expensive.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

chloe_s_ranch
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N (entry level Winnebago) had dual pane windows, as does our current Winnebago Sightseer (mid level). Our 99 Rexhall had dual pane windows. Seems crazy not to have them for all of the above reasons posted earlier.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Our entry level Palazzo has standard dual pane windows. We owned a different coach and it had single pane windows. It was very difficult to heat and cool. We also ran a mechanical dehumidifier 24x7 to keep the condensation down. It was a major nuisance. We even had to run the generator and roof A/C when driving on occasion because the dash A/C couldn't keep up.
FMCA member

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous coach had single pane windows. Our current coach has dual. There is a huge difference and I would never buy another coach with single pane. As far as the windshield always being single pane. True, but I close the drapes when the sun is on the front of the bus and that helps a lot.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
The Bounder is not an entry level coach. It's more mid level. The entry level has been the Storm, Flair, Terra and Fiesta, maybe even a few others.
Don & Mary

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
I doubt you will find an entry level coach with dual pane windows.

My ol 95 Bounder came with dual pane windows as standard equipment.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at the Winnebago brochure the Vista has duel pane windows standard on the 26 and 31 ft models
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
I doubt you will find an entry level coach with dual pane windows.
I just noticed that it's not even an option. On my last coach, an entry level Fleetwood Storm, it was an option.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Dual pane windows come at a price point. They're heavier and more expensive so you won't see them in entry level Class A's, trailers or fifth wheels. Some people do the math and opt for an extra A/C unit vs the cost of dual pane upgrades.

For someone to say I wouldn't own dual pane windows because they saw so many posts about them going bad, is like saying I won't buy a car with power windows for fear they'll break. The percentage of dual pane windows going bad is probably less than half of 1%. Even then, it's usually one window out of 10-15 in an RV. :S
Don & Mary

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Less moisture , and MUCH quieter and noticeable cooler/ warmer ! I've had both and I can honestly say if your a weekender it's not so important but if you spend any time in it its a deal breaker .. That is if you know what your missing ?? If not then stay blissfully unaware ๐Ÿ™‚ my coach doesn't have holes and air leaks! but it's not " entry " my early ones were and I thought they all were.
Bill

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be the first to say that I am glad that I don't have double pane windows. Too many posts about leaks and resealing. Just can't see them as having that much of a help with climate control given the nature of the building of RV's.

ClassAGeek
Explorer
Explorer
Meh. We have single pane windows in a used coach that saved us 10's of thousands of dollars when we bought it six years ago. We have camped in the 100's ยฐF but more often in 30's ยฐF. We just do weekend camping trips. We don't have any plans to live in our MH.

Are double pane windows essential? Hardly. The high number number of air leaks and 1" thick foam insulation (or less) in many locations around and under the MH contribute much more heat and cooling loss than the windows.

Double pane windows would be nice but I am happy because I didn't pay for them.

Your demands may be different.
----
Happy Ford F-53 Class A Owner (2008 Gulf Stream)
2010 Ford Fusion Toad (with 6 speed manual transmission - the only way to tow)
Brake Buddy Vantage, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar,
TST RV 507 TPMS, Power Master Voltage Controller