cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long Should my Class C Be?

JoJo_Toto
Explorer
Explorer
I live in LA and have been thinking it would be good to find an RV 19 feet (or under) so I can park in a regulation parking spot.

That being said, I CAN park on my block even if it's a little longer (there are no 'marked' parking spaces) and I can also park many other places where I plan to travel as well.

It's my first RV so I'm just trying to be smart. Of course, a slightly longer RV is more appealing because there's simply more living space. The down side is that I may not be able to park in regulation parking spaces and it may not fit in my driveway.

I'm just wondering if there are general opinions on how important it is to be able to fit in a regulation parking spot.

Thanks so much! I searched the forums and couldn't find this topic so I apologize if it was covered somewhere.
20 REPLIES 20

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
That TV show about tiny homes makes me think that some folks must be comfortable in tight quarters with minimal amenities that convert into something else. A cartoon showing "Coming home" and parking a typical motorhome next to a tiny house needs a punch line,

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
alliemac9 wrote:
From reading the forums, it seems that most people's RV ownership path includes several "upgrades" to bigger units until they find the right fit. But that's not always true, bigger for bigger's sake isn't best.

Could you rent a few different lengths for a weekend each and learn what you like/don't like? I rented first - with no intention of buying an RV, just thought it would be a fun way to travel on that particular trip. It was the standard 24' Class C floor plan. I liked the rear corner bed and having the overhead bunk for spare clothes and whatever. I also liked that the length felt roomy enough inside for two adults and two large dogs, even on rainy days, but still didn't feel too large to drive wherever I wanted. Was able to park wherever I wanted...and travel roads with length restrictions in national parks.

Fast forward five years and I bought a unit just under 26' because it has a unique floor plan that I really love (and the standard 24' floor plan is usually about 25' in actual length so this was about the same length I was anticipating). That's key: find a floor plan that REALLY works for your lifestyle and travel style.

I love RV shows just because I love RV-ing. One of the dealers knows me and teases me about when I'm going to buy a bigger RV. But I've never found anything that compares to the one I chose, because I went about it very thoughtfully and took my time considering at all my options. I think renting first gave me much better ability to do that. I hope it lasts forever, because I don't know what I'd want to replace it with!

X2 regarding taking "my time considering all my options" and finding a floorplan that works best for you.

I have no desire to ever "upgrade" from my clipper - because the layout is perfect for my style. Going larger isn't necessary because the floorplan works.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
From reading the forums, it seems that most people's RV ownership path includes several "upgrades" to bigger units until they find the right fit. But that's not always true, bigger for bigger's sake isn't best.

Could you rent a few different lengths for a weekend each and learn what you like/don't like? I rented first - with no intention of buying an RV, just thought it would be a fun way to travel on that particular trip. It was the standard 24' Class C floor plan. I liked the rear corner bed and having the overhead bunk for spare clothes and whatever. I also liked that the length felt roomy enough inside for two adults and two large dogs, even on rainy days, but still didn't feel too large to drive wherever I wanted. Was able to park wherever I wanted...and travel roads with length restrictions in national parks.

Fast forward five years and I bought a unit just under 26' because it has a unique floor plan that I really love (and the standard 24' floor plan is usually about 25' in actual length so this was about the same length I was anticipating). That's key: find a floor plan that REALLY works for your lifestyle and travel style.

I love RV shows just because I love RV-ing. One of the dealers knows me and teases me about when I'm going to buy a bigger RV. But I've never found anything that compares to the one I chose, because I went about it very thoughtfully and took my time considering at all my options. I think renting first gave me much better ability to do that. I hope it lasts forever, because I don't know what I'd want to replace it with!
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
WinMinnie02 wrote:
I would purchase the largest Class C that you could afford and grow into it. Keep it for a long time, 15 to 20 years. Keep it in storage if you do not have parking for the size. Use it often and maintain it.

I disagree - don't buy bigger just to have bigger. IF you expect to have a change in situation where a larger RV would be a better fit, then sure. But why buy for a family of 5 if you're still single with no commitments, etc.? And for many, parking at home is a big part of the affordability and/or the ability to use it often.

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
I would purchase the largest Class C that you could afford and grow into it. Keep it for a long time, 15 to 20 years. Keep it in storage if you do not have parking for the size. Use it often and maintain it.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Other's opinions may vary, but my first RV was a class 'B'. I figured that was all I needed since I'm single. Problems that I ran into:
It was too long to fit in a single metered parking space in a town. It was too tall to fit in many parking garages. And if I wanted to see something in the area, I often came back to find that my CG space had been taken and I had to park in another - if there was another. If none of those things bother you, go for it.
I traded for a 'C', pulling a Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep fits everyplace.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
JoJo Toto wrote:
Thank you ALL!! I'm SO GLAD I posted here! I've been debating for months about this and, in 1 day, I've got all the answers!!!
You're so kind to take the time to share your experiences.
I was hoping to get something a little longer so I'm excited to find that most people can fit at 21-22 ft MH in most spots without any problems.
Back to searching!!

You shouldn't have any trouble parking with the 21-22ft rig over a 19 ft one. For me, this size is perfect - big enough to be comfortable even with a friend or two visiting inside; small enough to be great for day trips or 2nd vehicle needs; just right for a comfortable stay on my own with the dogs.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Try climbing up into the overhead bed and climb back down climbing over a sleeping partner and pretend it's pitch dark. If you have any foot,ankle or hip problems you may need to have a rig that is 27 feet long with a rear bedroom with RV queen sized bed. Alternately, one can sleep in the overhead and one on the convertible dinette or jackknife sofa. Measure the length of your driveway. Rig may not hang out into the street or interfere with trash barrel pickup. Most Class C's are same height and width. 27 foot rigs can park in 99% of state and federal camp spots and all commercial RV parks. Don't buy too short a rig unless you take sleeping comfort into account. Short rigs also have very little cargo and cabinet storage space which can result in clutter of cardboard boxes in the aisle, shower stall, and in the overhead. Been there, done that, finally settled on 27 footer with no slides as best compromise. Van conversions like Roadtrek are
more versatile for daily transportation, but as campers, lack elbow room and everything converts to something else at bedtime, when getting up, using the bathroom, etc. Gets on your nerves after a week or so. Been there and done that too.

JoJo_Toto
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you ALL!! I'm SO GLAD I posted here! I've been debating for months about this and, in 1 day, I've got all the answers!!!
You're so kind to take the time to share your experiences.
I was hoping to get something a little longer so I'm excited to find that most people can fit at 21-22 ft MH in most spots without any problems.
Back to searching!!

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm just wondering if there are general opinions on how important it is to be able to fit in a regulation parking spot.

To answer the question you asked,yes..It is important to some but not others as you can see by the replies.

I bought a 21ft just for that reason.I actually sold my pickup with the notion of replacing it with a Class C or pickup/camper combo to use as a daily driver(second vehicle) in it's place.A pickup/camper combo with any type of room will go 21ft+(total length) sometimes..I went Class C because of the extra room it provides over a pickup/camper combo with at least the same ground clearance,something my 24ft didn't have.

I had a 24ft Class C and there is quite a bit of difference in the length and clearance when thinking parking spots/off pavement clearance, compared to my 21ft.My 21ft fits in a normal parking spot just like my pickup did.A normal pickup like my sons 2500 HD is 19ft long bumper to bumper then ad some hangover for a pickup camper and your right at and over 21ft.

I have not ran into a parking spot I cannot park/fit into yet with my 21ft Class C but then again I don't live in LA.I have not found a spot yet that I could have got one of my many pickup/camper combo's into that I can't my 21ft C...I am quite happy with my short Class C for my needs.

With longer units you get more living space..I have been up to 40 ft in RV's..Nice if you camp on pavement or RV parks.Don't work that well in the Idaho mountains.I currently have a 26rls travel trailer,30 ft bumper to bumper and was and am hampered by it's length in many ways.

Bigger isn't always better!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forms and you are worrying about the wrong thing… Parking. My combined length is 60 feet and I do not worry about parking. I always advise buying more motorhome Than you think you need… One time.

Getting into your driveway is a valid concern so go rent a 24 foot box truck for half a day and see if it will fit.

Answering toedtoes questions will help us help you.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are in LA, be sure to look at Lazy Daze. Their 24' unit may appeal to you. (Don't go smaller). I have a 27' Lazy Daze and never any trouble parking. Can always find a spot somewhere.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As the OP is considering a 19ft or SLIGHTLY longer RV, I think they are looking at 24ft or under, not 28ft or longer.

Between a 19, 21/22, and 24, you probably won't see much difference EXCEPT that a 19 is most likely going to be a van conversion and will be narrower (so that it fits in tighter parking lots).

A 21/22ft will pretty much fit lengthwise in most parking lots but you may have to have the end overhang over bushes, etc. so it doesn't stick out. A 24ft will need to do that more often and/or use 2 spots end to end.

Both the 21/22ft and the 24ft will likely be the same width (about 7ft). This will fit in "normal" parking spots, but many parking lots scrunch the width of spots really tight and you may have to use 2 spots side by side.

You don't indicate how you are planning on using the RV. Are you planning on going to big cities for sightseeing? Camping out in the woods with the ability to use the RV as a 2nd vehicle or stop by the store on the way out to the campground to get supplies? Months at a time? Weekends here and there? 1 to 2 weeks at a time?

How you plan on using it could help folks to provide more information about pros and cons of the various lengths of smaller RVs that are applicable for your circumstances.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
19' will barely fit in many parking spots. For touring primarily in a city, I would prefer a smaller (probably class B) RV—or, quite possibly, a car and motel/hotel rooms. (In some cities, like Boston, I'd gladly skip the car!) Besides the length, the height and width of most class C's make them ill-suited for city sightseeing. You can't park one in a multistory parking garage, for instance, even if it is short enough to fit in a regulation parking space.

My class C is 32' overall and I haven't generally had trouble finding parking. It does require two parking spaces end-to-end, and preferably also two side-by-side if they are plentiful as there is not much extra space width-wise usually. I'm also not generally parking in inner cities—more often suburbia or less built up areas—so that might have something to do with things. I prefer to avoid street parking mainly because of the width, but have done so once or twice without problems.

Many campgrounds, particularly older ones and state parks, have fewer sites that are available the longer your RV is. It's not to common to be unable to fit into some site, but it makes it more likely that the sites you can use are unavailable the more limited you are.

(To answer your question literally speaking, your class C should be exactly as long as it was when it came out of the factory. It is a very bad problem when it suddenly becomes shorter!)