cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,366 REPLIES 8,366

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a 1976 Beaver Monterey built on a Dodge Sportsman with a 440. I know the chassis is a one tone but don't know if it's a b300 or what...

Repairs / upgrades so far:

Water heater
Water pump (5.7 gpm, now can take a real shower when not on city water!!)
exhaust (3" s/s, out in front of rear wheels)
front brakes
elec.fuel pump
carburetor (edelbrock)
complete tune up
upgraded the electrical to mopar performance
super coil
sun tachometer (from the 70's as well!)

It runs well but I have to re-route the fuel line as vapor lock has become a problem since replacing the carburetor (even with an elec.fuel pump!). The line now runs along the intake manifold (the old thermoquad had the fuel intake in the rear and the edelbrock is in the front).

My family loves it, the kids call it "The Beav". We've been out in it about 10 times. So far this summer we've been away in the Beav more than we've been home. It's our first MH and are probably going to buy a motorcycle and quad for next year to take with us.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined and have done most of the work myself. It's the first Dodge I've owned and so far are happy with it. I'm finding all sorts of little things wrong that the previous 3 owners have done and are fixing them.

It's all fun and we're making many memories for our kids who are 3 and 6. We keep it pretty stocked with most everything and it takes only about an hour to get on the road for a trip. While tent camping it would take most of a day!

79roadranger
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the moderators will set up a forum for "CLASSIC rvs"?
"It's not old...it's a classic!"
-- 1995 27' Tioga Montara Quad Bunk --

BobJoh
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Dodge 440-3 (That dash -3 is important in getting parts from NAPA to get the MoHo version instead of automotive.) For example the --3 thermostat is very different than a 440 in a car.) 1976 Coachmen Statesman 25ft actually 26+ft bumper to bumper. M500, 14,000gw Class A with 19.5" wheels. Also had to request special timing chain and sprokets as diff. than two row auto chain and was for racing but same as original extra one and replaced forward cam bearing as was not set deep enough in block so forward edge was multi chipped as it rubbed on cam sprocket. Used 3/4" bolt to pull bearing sleeve in with large washers on it.. and filed a slight low spot in its front edge so oil sprayed on timing chain. Didn't replace with RV cam but now wish I had. With heads off, sprayed WD40 in ports and saw only slight seep so didn't do valve job. Old main bearing had 74 stamped on backing and had crank reground -.010 as had one bad rod throw and had rods reground round as my brother said if bearing shells fall out easily on rod removeal the big end of the rod had been pounded by detonation and need to regrind circle to get good bearing shell pinch. Cyl walls looked OK and didnot have to use ridge reamer as only slight burr at top of ring travel. Had hard time finding rod bearing shells with that little notch for oil to squirt on cam and cyl walls thru grove in rod caps. Dodge Parts said not needed with the good oils we have now. Replaced all freeze plugs, new water pump, new fuel pump and had deep pan with HiVol oil pump with thick rotorgears. They said don't use HiVol oil pump with standard pan as may pump dry before it runs back down from valve covers. New fan clutch, new eng. and trans mounts, all new hoses and fuel inline filter. New both resistors in ignition and Accel Super coil RV9cl plugs replacing RV12 champs as too hot may have caused the pinging. MOPAR cast alum valve covers to be ridged enough to prevent leaks... ONe head wasn't true where gaskets seat and leaked badly on first test drive.. had to grind that raise ridge down some.. ground freehand what oily rag around valves to catch grindings. Also had to grind off bottom wide foot of valve cover to allow it to seat more over against the exhaust manifold as was half a bolt hole missaligned. Both exhause castings were warped and ground eyeball true with bench grinder and straight edge and now holds gaskets OK. Used double washers under all exhaust stud nuts to allow 'cushion' for heat expansion. Torqued them three different times but not too tight, to absorb gasket crush during each test run and heat soak. Original hot oil pressure was 4psi hot idle now is 15psi and hot run went from below 40 to 68-71 psi and no rod knock. This engine had 32,000 original miles.. had been in storage for 12 years. Does not overheat, and pulls the grapevine I 5 hills well at 40-45mph in second same going up to Big Bear. Did all the work with block in place and trans moved back and radiator removed. Welded up dual mufflers and crossover 2 1/2" pipes and exit forward of rear duals. Have dryer duct from above radiator to feed cool inpact air to carb. air cleaner. Happy to run at 62-64 mph and at times run 70mph to keep up with rushhour traffic in LA. 6-7Mpg but does use oil as I didn't replace the rings. Disconected cruise control box and run speedo right to transmission. Using Ford 'F'fluid in 727A transmission and has large trany oil cooler. Forward dinette seat flips forward or back or both go flat for twin bed and pulldown above driver and two cabinet beds above mid rig twin beds gives sleeping for eight if half are kids and has eight seat belts, driver plus four in dinete facing forward and two plus one sidewise on twin beds. Rear bath with five foot tub and shower. I took out the bad LP burner and just have a HotRod in water tank. 4kva Koller and AC on top for cooling enroute. 30+30+30 fresh and black and grey with 45gal fuel. With the fix to engine and all new tires and some roof leaks repaired it is a great pratical road warrior. Grandkids and dogs and fish and sand and spills and etc. all OK.
BobJoh

Grand_Slam_79
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all! I have one of these things, also. Mine is a 1979 24 foot Champion class C, built on a 1978 MB400 Dodge chassis, with the 360 engine. I bought it to pull the wife's horse trailer, and sometimes my enclosed race car trailer. Couldn't see having a newer rig to go to the mud, dust and dirt of horse shows and sprint car races. I really wanted one with a 440 in it, but after 2 years of looking, I never came across a 440 powered class C that I felt the camper part was worth saving. The 360 powered Champion I ended up with has a one piece fiberglass roof and cabover section and seems to have avoided all the water leakage problems that are so common on these machines. I decided I could modify the engine for more power easier than rebuilding a water damaged coach.

I've owned the MH for three years now, and after some pretty extensive modification/repairs, I can report it does what I expected it to do quite well. Since I've owned it, I've pulled the heads and done a valve job, replaced the 2 barrel manifold with a 4 barrel manifold and Thermoquad carb, and replaced the distributor with a 4 barrel version. I've also serviced the transmission, replaced the U joints, and had the pinion bearings in the rear axle replaced. To get the chassis in shape for towing I've had a leaf added to each rear spring, replaced the shocks, added air bag helper springs, had a killer hitch-frame extension structure welded to it, and replaced all six tires. To make the inside nicer, I've replaced the sagging headliner with short pile carpeting and replaced the front seats with junkyard Aerostar mini van seats. Future mods include replacing the carpeted floor with vinyl, for easier clean up, and installing a new, big bore, (like 3") exhaust system. Maybe someday the lower end of the motor will get a rebuild, with new pistons and one of those Mopar stroker crankshafts, to make it a 400 cu. in. engine.

While it's no speed demon, it will tow the horse or race car trailer at 55 to 60 mph on level ground, and it's so nice to have the camper once you're there. I have driven it to the Florida Keys and back from Chicago twice pulling a Hobie 18 catamaran, and found it averages 8.5 mpg at 60 to 65 mph. That's not much worse than the new MH's get. I like Thermoquad carburetors, having had them on other Dodge vehicles, but I admit it's nearly impossible to find anyone who knows how to make them work correctly. You pretty much have to learn to tune them yourself. I've had exhaust headers on vans, and will never put them on the MH, I don't want to deal with the rust out, heat and noise tube headers create. All in all, I'm very satisfied with the machine, and one of the best parts is IT'S PAID FOR!!
Randy Reed
Spring Grove, IL

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello and welcome to you, 79RoadRanger, Mekola, Vacilando
and Knicka!!!

It's great to hear from you all!!! And Knicka, so far you take
the honor of having the oldest Dodge rig here so far- 09/70!!!
34 years young and still ripping up the road!!! Mine comes in
second- 08/72...

We are a unique group of RV owners- our vehicles are true "vintage"
rigs, built back in a time when metal was thicker, motors were stouter
and there was a true sense of pride and craftsmanship built in to every last rig.
This is why they are still going, and will be for a long time!

Because of what they are, and their age, we should band together and
support each other's efforts- like a special interest group. Not only
for advice but helping each other locate parts or services. I would
be honored to know that I helped someone keep their A-Dodge-io on the
highway by something I did or shared with them. If someone needs
a part, like 79RoadRanger was looking for captains chairs
(come to think of it I could stand a pair too), and Vacilando needed owners manuals for appliances, let's pool our efforts and try to help!
Maybe we can cook up a "wish list" of items we can help each other find at the best price. Or maybe we can lend a hand by helping someone fix a problem, like you name it- we've probably been there done that on some things, or we know of an honest, reputable someone who can.

We are becoming mighty upon the earth... hee hee...:) I read somewhere
that a group of less than a hundred determined former citizens of Great Britain formed what is now the greatest nation in this world-
the United States of America. And we're driving our own little bit of Americana... think about it...

It's easier to hang together than it is to hang seperately.

Mark a.k.a. White Knight

knicka
Explorer
Explorer
Just went out and checked, ours is a 18' Californian, built 9-1970. Tradesman 300. Lots of miles, several owners. Was given to me by a friend who said it needed a new engine. He had driven it home to strip for parts but thought there were a few more miles left on it. He had just driven it 30 miles to his home, with his head out the window because of the fumes, and he said the bottom of the 318 was coming apart, or so it sounded, and no oil pressure. I crawled underneath the front when he started it up for me. The fuel pump was squirting gas right on the exhaust manifold, and it sounded like the rods were about to come out the side of the block! After that, when I checked the oil level, the crankcase was full of gasoline. The fuel pump diaphram had ruptured and had filled the block with fuel. I put on a new (used) fuel pump and then we drained the pan, put in 4 quarts of oil, and started it back up. Oil pressure came up, engine quietened down, and I drove it home. Two weeks later we took it on a 200 mile round trip to Greyland, WA. (South of Aberdeen, on the coast) and had a great time... We are glad our friend is still with us, still wondering why that thing didn't blow and burn up. Oh, just before we got to Greyland, one of our daughters asked what a muffler looked like, just after the thump, and Blaaaaaap noise/roar rose up from under the floorboards. She saw it skid off into a field, as cars were backing off from our rear... What an adventure! Loved it

vacilando1105
Explorer
Explorer
Just came across the RV.Net site tonight.

I just bought a 1977 Dodge 360 Class C Minnie Winnie Lindy. The engine was recently rebuilt 12,000 miles ago. Chasis has 102,000 miles on it. It's a 19'. The Lindy has a lot of pep and goes really fast on the freeway.

I am looking for a manual on how all the appliances, etc. works since I am a newbie on owning an RV. I just picked up a book "RV for Dummies" and it probably will get me through the nuts and bolts of grey tanks and black tanks. I figure if the Lindy has made it since 1977 it can make it through a Newbie like me.

This Dodge 360 really cooks!

mekola
Explorer
Explorer
We have a '78 Dodge Sportsman Renaissance. I have sewed new covers for the cushions, made valances, put in shades, took out all orange shag carpet, put in black and white vinyl tiles, replaced the wallboard in the bathroom and kitchen area, new curtains in bunk area, replaced the dinette with custom built dog kennels that have seats on them (dogs won't be in them that much), took foam mattress out of bunk and bought an airmattress with sleeping bag that attaches to it for the bunk, rebuilt cabinets where refrigerator goes and have painted everything that needs painted. Now on to the other parts of this project...
1982 Starcraft Popup or a 1979 Dodge Renaissance Sportsman loaded with:
DH and I along with 2 kids and 3 mini schnauzers,
pulling a 16ft. trailer loaded with:
Honda 450S
Yamaha Grizzly 660
Polaris Scrambler 400 4x4
Honda 300 4x4
climbatv

79roadranger
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1979 Dodge Road Ranger.
It is old, but the criticals have been replaced (extra battery, newer fridge, awning, floor), etc.
Sure, I too would love to upgrade, but for the money it works for me!
I would love to find someone who has found a good deal on captains chairs for the passenger side -- would just give me an extra seat once we are settled.
Would also like a good deal on recliners, swivel chairs -- I have the party model -- no couch, just two swivel chair with a bar table between.
We have re-uphostered the cushioned, painted, etc; but the only engine item was an exhaust system and muffler. Way to go to Bucky's Transmission shop.
-- 1995 27' Tioga Montara Quad Bunk --

Slim___Retta_s_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Sir White Knight. We used it this weekend, just for an overnight at the new site. Still serves the purpose and like you said, it's paid for! I do believe my hubby overpacked, cause he just got home today with the RV, I came back ahead, and he was unpacking most of the stuff that he packed, unused. We had everything with us except for a pair of tiny tweezers to get a splinter out of our grandson's hand. But we did have a good time! And yes, I already got the material for the curtains, now if I can find someone who can sew them. !!

Slim & Retta B

๐Ÿ™‚

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Fence.. 3000$ for the rebuild. Also new manifold, headers, balanced... whole bunch of other terms that I haven't the foggiest what they mean. It wasn't rebuilt inhouse, they sent it to Eugene. Who knows what the tally will be after they rebuild the A/C, heater core replaced, few other things.... I'll be the person begging beside the road, sign will read "My Clipper needs work, god bless you":p
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Fencepost and Susan-y

Welcome to the Mopar corner of the RV world!
Stay up with us- and if you get the opportunity
to post pic's, do so! Burnt orange shag and all!

your fellow Mopar land yacht captain

Mark a.k.a. White Knight

Fencepost
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Susan. Love the Great State of Oregon. If you don't mind saying, what did you have to pay for that rebuild? We are always up towards you in the Lake Shasta area. Our Motorhome says "Sportsman" on the side too. Ours has the bunk beds in the back which we use only as storage space. No kids here. Regards, Fencepost & wife.
Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.

susan-y
Explorer
Explorer
1978 Dodge Sportsman chassis. 21'American Clipper. 440 engine having it rebuilt. Exhaust headers ("dougs" not doug thorley.. guess his wife got the "dough thorley" line when they divorced?) Fell in love with the look and the twin exhaust made me smile, rather throaty. Decided it was worth some $$ to get it interstate and cross country ready! Should be home the end of the month.:C I do envy you who have the (whatever) to get in and fix it yourself. But hey.. someone has to keep the "living wage" jobs in Oregon. HAH!!!
[purple]Life looks better through a windshield.
[/purple]
2008 Winnebago View

Fencepost
Explorer
Explorer
1978 Tioga with 360 2 bbl on a M or B300 Chassis. Picked it up for $1500 knowing it needed an engine. Toyed with the idea of dropping a 440 in it when I got around to rebuilding it at 69000 miles. It had 68000 on it when I got it. Seeing what a tight fit the 360 was when I removed it I stuck with the 360. Didn't even put a 4 bbl on it. They wanted $5000.oo to rebuild it here in Cal so, I did it myself for about $600.oo. That's because I put a new RV cam in it, MSD ignition & coil & headers on it. Otherwise it would have been less. It gets 6 to 8 miles per gallon now & it doesn't seem to matter much if we are towing or not. It sure sounds good, it has a real nice lope to it & turns heads at idle. It's a 21 foot motor home & sometimes we tow a 22 boat. I know I'm letting the tail wag the dog here but it seems to work, so far. However I am wondering if that is legal here in Cal, or anywhere else, to tow a toad larger than your tow vehicle. I'm always working on this thing & probably have $10,000 in it by now, but everything works because it is new. We love it & are happy we started with it. Only 4 years later now, & we already want a newer class A. We heard that their holding tanks are larger. Seems we are always on "full" There are only two of us. I take military showers but I think the little missus still thinks she's at home. And, that's why she goes with me.
Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live.