cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Poi_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Scruffy5! I'd like to order the Edelbrock carb, linkage adapter & the spread bore to square thingy. Found all but the last one with the part# of 1932. Where'd you find that? I need to get rid of that Carter thermo quad so's I kin pass DEQ here in Orygun. Found the Parts Express web site... nice!

C'mon Good Buddy... In need of yer help.

thanks...... PD
To go where everyone has gone... before!

dongizmo
Explorer
Explorer
FrizzleFried wrote:
A new tank from Dodge shouldn't be TOO expensive being that it is plastic. I have the same 36 gallon plastic tank on mine...

Frizzled,
on a whim I took a look under my 95 ram b250, it has a 35 gal plastic tank I think with a little engineering on the fuel lines will work,:? now I wonder what was the last year that used the mechanical fuel pump?:) the tank on my 95 has the electric fuel pump in it, if I can cross to a year/model that has a mechanical pump, the connections for the fuel lines should work.:B
now, what about the gauge........:R:?

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.hehr-international.com/contacts.htm

The windows look simular to what are in my clipper you might check with them
I was able to replace all of the seals and lock strip for about 80 $
nice looking home.
Rodney
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

jssussex
Explorer
Explorer
Oh I guess I should at least show you the whole RV. This site sure has great information - especially this group.

1979 Mobile Traveler Dodge Sportsman with 440 engine

This is a great locking storage unit added to the back.

jssussex
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Would like some suggestion on fixing some of these problems.

1. the findow gaskets have shrunk, what are my options? They won't go back and stay in place.

2. The Frig gasket is shot at the bottom and I can't find anyplace that carries a replacment. Any suggest or alternate solutions.

3. The decorative striping on the truck has that beautiful crackle design and my wife would like me to paint over it. None of it is pealing, but is this possible.

Thanks for any suggestions

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno...all I can say is that I have documentation from 1988 showing work done to a 2 bbl Holley carb...then there is documentation showing that the owner at the time bought a 4 bbl Carter and paid for parts and labor for a 2-bbl to 4-bbl conversion?

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
FrizzleFried wrote:
My vin# is F44CD7V007116...

According to some info above, the 5th character being a D indicates it is a 440-1, as opposed to a 440-3. What is the difference?

Also, what other information can I get off this VIN? I am sorry to ask, but I just can't bear going through all these pages looking for the "chart" someone was kind enough to post.

What I DO know is:

(a) Manufacturered 9/76
(b) Dodge 440 with a 4 bbl carb...though it appears that it was converted from a Holley 2 bbl carb at one time. I have a receipt for both, including one indicating labor for converting from 2-bbl to 4-bbl Carter

Looking at the above VIN, I my best GUESS is that though manufacturered 9/76, it is a 1977 model...??

I don't know what the difference between a -1 and a -3 engine. Been wondering that myself but haven't had time to research it yet...Mr. Mopar, can you enlighten us?

Yup, it's a 1977 model...at least that's what the serial number says...mid-70's was when manufacturers started model year creep...kinda like the fact that I can buy the July issue of Classic Trucks magazine in late May.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Shaggy-360-Dodge-RV wrote:

FYI, 440's never came with a 2bbl only a 4bbl carb.

Are you sure? I've seen a couple of Mopar big blocks with two barrel carbs. Not very common but they did exist. I had a 383 with a two barrel on it.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Shaggy-360-Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
FrizzleFried wrote:

According to some info above, the 5th character being a D indicates it is a 440-1, as opposed to a 440-3. What is the difference?

Also, what other information can I get off this VIN? I am sorry to ask, but I just can't bear going through all these pages looking for the "chart" someone was kind enough to post.

What I DO know is:

(a) Manufacturered 9/76
(b) Dodge 440 with a 4 bbl carb...though it appears that it was converted from a Holley 2 bbl carb at one time. I have a receipt for both, including one indicating labor for converting from 2-bbl to 4-bbl Carter

Looking at the above VIN, I my best GUESS is that though manufacturered 9/76, it is a 1977 model...??

FYI, 440's never came with a 2bbl only a 4bbl carb.

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer

What I DO know is:

(a) Manufacturered 9/76

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like great fun you have going there. Any good radiator shop should be able to recore your radiator with no problem.. they would use your tanks so everything will fit as before. if I were to got to the trouble of repacing the engine I would go with a 360 ci in or better yet a 440 but that would take replacing the transmission and some other parts to make it fit. if going to a newer engine be sure and make sure the engine is balanced correctly. the 360's are balanced externally not sure of the newer 318's this means there are counter weights welded to the tourqe converter and the harmonic balancers are also weighted.
:)have fun..
Rodney
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

meffordfamilypr
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow dodge motorhome owners!!

Our family is the proud owner of a 73 class A, Dodge Swinger motorhome with a 318 engine!!! The "moose" (Big, slow and ugly..but not for long) as we call her is currently being torn apart in a grave attempt to salvage her beauty and restore her usefullness. Does anyone know where to get parts for these classic motorhomes?? We took the large rear window out since we need to repair the wall and then realized that the inside window molding may be difficult to replace?? It is about 2-3 inches wide and presses into the channels on the inside of the window. Anyone who has made major reconsrtuction attempts and would like to share some tips, please do so. My spirit is warmed to see so many others who love these old creaures.

We are going to replace the 318 engine with the marine heads?? with an 87 318 to remedy the inability to find a replacement radiator that outlets on the proper side for the water pump... 2 years of looking and we could not locate a radiator. So we are putting in a newer engine and keeping the high performance heads so we can find replacement parts.

Tootles

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Robinhood. I'm going there now to see what I find!

RobinHoodRV
Explorer
Explorer
munkalido wrote:
Mine is a MB400 (as the vin is F44CD6V1xxxx) and the Chilton I bought to help with repairs is for full sized vans, but doesn't include MB400.

Is there a repair manual, generic like the Chilton, available?? Or is it close enough? (Chilton's #20420, Chrysler Full-Size Vans, 1967-88 repair manual)...

I purchased one of those service manuals on CD from:
www.moparmanuals.com/mopar/main/home.asp

It is better than the Chilton but only covers the Dodge section. The motorhome section will not be included since it is built by a 3rd party and NOT Dodge. It does cover the cut-away cab (used by the MH builders).

I have used it to rewire the entire engine compartment twice now (pesky squirrels) and had no problems.

By the way, the part number for my MH was 81-370-7012 which covers "1977 Dodge Compact & Plymouth Voyager"
-jc

78 Robinhood 23' Class C
97 Geo Tracker Convertible 4x4
87 Jeep Comanche Chief 4x4

scorpicus_1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!:

I bought a 20 ft.1977 Dodge MB400 Lindy that sleeps six (Over cab bunk, and two tables that make into beads) here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for $400.00 about a month ago. It didn't run,(wouldn't even turn over) and had to be pulled down our alley to our house. The next day I had it running though. Aparently the people who had it had messed with the main power cable that runs from the Starter relay to the battery,lol.
I had to rebuild the bunk above the seats. Fun,let me tell you. Then I had to replace the manifold gaskets. One was leaking, and they had put the other one on backwards.ROFL!!. :E
Funny part is that I had it running before replacing the Manifold gaskets, but it wouldn't stay running once ya put it in gear. But now that The new gaskets are in, it stays running but the starter is going out. So I'll buy a new starter.:R
Ya know, finding a manual for one of these things is impossible! I've even looked all over the web for one. But since they are'nt made anymore I can't find one. I wanted to find one that had wiring diagrams for the MotorHome section, cause the people I bought it from mangled the wiring and plumbling systems while they were trying to fix it themselves. Is there anyone out there who has a manual for the Motorhome part?
I've got some pics of mine that I can show ya!If I can ever figure out how to add them here...Here is the url though. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/scorpicus_1/album?.dir=b255
I thought about trying to make a canopy/ awning for mine since it was missing when I bought it, but really need to see some pictures of how the original looks close up before I'll know where to begin.
But luckily the cranking TV antenae still works and there are no leaks! And it has the bathroom with the toilet,shower,and sink all in one,lol. You can sit on the toilet, take a shower and wash your hands all at once. That's pretty unique in my opinion! :B
Money has been tight since I just finished recovering from a Broken neck,shattered ankle and heel.(Now have artificial ankle and heel). But am seriously thinking about trying to come up with my own design for an easy to make Awning for a 20' motorhome. You know the old saying, "Jack of all trades....." Since the injuries I can't do the same field of work. So I went back to the old trusty ones. I build ,repair, and program PCs at home now. And my boy and I are trying to get our Lawn Mowing service back in operation here in Cedar Rapids,Iowa.
Maybe we'll see ya out there some time soon!