cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Did you change your intake or use the factory? I know you probably don't have to change but I also know the factory isn't as good as an aluminum aftermarket.... and do you still have your EGR?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is it, holley 2d tbi system, thats also a good price, go for it you wont be disappointed, take your time and get the wires correct and you might need to run a return fuel line to tank, my 79 dodge did not have one to begin with so i made a adapter at fuel hose inlet where you pump gas, made a tee for fuel line return into this pipe instead of removing tank...

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Is this it?

Holley TBI

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
munkalido : I just removed the msd ignition box but left the high out put coil, just could not get the msd box to work right it caused timing to miss at 50-65 miles per hour, also found out that about 15% of people who use the msd ignition box have similar problems, did not notice any change in performance any way.. my rpm is 3000 at 60 mph..the holley tbi is a great buy, you will like how it runs and starts..

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
The Holley 2D TBI Fuel injection is great, had a eldenbrok carb on for a while but used to much fuel, with tbi I can get around 8-9 miles per gal at 60-65, starts with no need to pump gas pedal, runs smooth, sounds better, with carb only best gas mileage was 7 1/2 at 55, Holley TBI has 5 controls on computer for fuel/air ratios, put my computer at dash for easy change of controls for using E-85 fuel or any blend, changed all fuel lines for ethanol, advance timing 4 degrees, added MSD ignition control box, high volt coil, now my RV is a full flex fuel RV, runs great with E-85, runs cooler, quieter, cleaner. E-85/Bio-Diesel/Hydrogen is the fuel of the near future.. are you ready...

I am worried that adding a hotter spark to my system will just make me run hotter than I already do. Oregon doesn't have e85 fuel yet, at least that I can find on the net. I am interested in the Holley TBI FI however, especially if I can get 2 more MPG! One question is what RPM are you running at while driving 60mph?

travcojim
Explorer
Explorer
hello all, its been some time since I have posted anything. I have a 67 Travco in tip top shape. I am over here in Northwest Arkansas, the Springdale area. The first weekend of May I am taking her out camping to a large area about 40 miles away, Anyone want to do some boondocking come on over and join us. Whiteknight is close by and I know some others are around the Tulsa area.

FrizzleFried
Explorer
Explorer
It's been quite some time since I posted....about 8 months or so I figure. In the 8 months since my last post a number of things have transpired in regards to the "DOOOD"...my 1977 Diamond 22 footer. Lets see...my last post I was considering purchasing a new air conditioner. I managed to find a brand new Carrier unit online and had it installed. It works like a charm! My PowerWise 3500 (Chinese) generator even pushes it without much issue (I do have to slowly crank it on...no direct to high or it REALLY pushes the gen).

I have developed a really small leak where the prior owner installed a CB antenna. No worries...once the weather clears up for a bit I am going to pull the antenna off the rig, add some Eternabond tape...and then I plan on adding a fresh coat of Plast-A-Coat.

When I last wrote, I was writing from sunny San Diego California. In late March we moved from San Diego to Nampa Idaho. I was a little worried about the trip....the funny thing is that the Dodge made it without issue...the 2004 Budget Rent-A-Truck with 32,000 miles on it broke down in Las Vegas!

For the trip, I had a number of things done to the rig. I had new shocks installed all the way around...AMAZING is the only word I can think of when it comes to the effect it had on the ride of the rig. Things were MUCH less mushy...especially toward the front end. I had new brakes done up front. I installed new belts, performed a complete tune-up (plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc). I replaced the majority of my fuel line...and because my tires were about 6 years old, I replaced the meats all the way around.

Now the "DOOOD" is sitting next to my new house in it's very own RV pad instead of some rented spot in hell-hole El Cajon California.

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law just returned from a winter in Dulac LA. They were helping the folks down there with storm damage. They were showing us some of their video of the destruction.:E Substantial homes were just blown apart. In one scene was a lime green and white Dodge class C looking just fine.

These old buggies are tougher than the the bad girls of the south.:B
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
This Topic was started when I first Joined... Just keeping it going for the Mopar Guys
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

QualitySnowman
Explorer
Explorer
Add me too! Actualy, this is my first post on RV.net. I have a 1979 Skyline Lindy 24' that is built on a 1978 Dodge Sportsman chasis w/ the 360 V8, 727 TorqueFlite, and Dana rear end. I'm 23 and "officialy" bought it last year. My parents were the second owners in 1986. It has lived in shelter (except on dry, summer, weekend use) in a barn built just for it on my grandparent's property. It still lives there today. It is in EXCELLENT condition. Early on it developed the usual manifold leak. It went long enough that it torched the exhaust side of the heads. I took it down to the block last summer (and lost use of it for almost 4 months) and rebuilt the entire top end myself. I put on new manifolds, metallic racing quality gaskets where applicable, and a completely new exhaust. I also re-wallpapered the kitchen, put up new modern window blinds, new cushions throughout, and a custom stereo and entertainment system. It has only 72,000 miles, and runs EXCELLENT now. I love it, but do plan to upgrade to about a 28'C eventualy.

Being 23, I use it for camping, just as I have all of my life, but I have a lot of friends (The Crew) that like to have it at outdoor parties at their houses, because it makes a great "rolling tavern" with the awning, fridge, and all. Glad to see there is this much following out there!

Some pics of it at a party 2 years ago. (I'm in white)
~82 Brian "QualitySnowman" Snowden :C

~06 Ram 2500HD Quad 4x4 Laramie 8' Cummins 5.9 - 5" w/o Muff or Cat, Prog, 35's, Intake.
~13 Streamlite 27RKS 32' Champagne Ed.
~07 Honda Rancher 420 EFI 4x4 - 2" Lift, ITP 212 Alloys & 26" MudLite XTR, 2.5k Winch, Camo

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
The Holley 2D TBI Fuel injection is great, had a eldenbrok carb on for a while but used to much fuel, with tbi I can get around 8-9 miles per gal at 60-65, starts with no need to pump gas pedal, runs smooth, sounds better, with carb only best gas mileage was 7 1/2 at 55, Holley TBI has 5 controls on computer for fuel/air ratios, put my computer at dash for easy change of controls for using E-85 fuel or any blend, changed all fuel lines for ethanol, advance timing 4 degrees, added MSD ignition control box, high volt coil, now my RV is a full flex fuel RV, runs great with E-85, runs cooler, quieter, cleaner. E-85/Bio-Diesel/Hydrogen is the fuel of the near future.. are you ready...

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
add me to, 1979 xplorer 23 ft class c, 440, added holley tbi fuel injection, new upholstery, new fridg, new toilet, new carpet, this rv has steel frame not wood, fiberglass ext, 1 3/4 inch floor, large 1 piece fiberglass bathroom, these rvs were built with high quality and life time paint, would like to here from other xplorer class c owners. timmac121@netzero.com

How does the Holley FI work for you? I have a similar rig (Dodge 440, 23') but opted for the q-jet replacement of the thermoquad. Gas milage is about 7 mpg while running at 60 mph or 8-1/2 gallons per hour while idling ๐Ÿ˜›

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
add me to, 1979 xplorer 23 ft class c, 440, added holley tbi fuel injection, new upholstery, new fridg, new toilet, new carpet, this rv has steel frame not wood, fiberglass ext, 1 3/4 inch floor, large 1 piece fiberglass bathroom, these rvs were built with high quality and life time paint, would like to here from other xplorer class c owners. timmac121@netzero.com

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
add me to the list. Dodge, 1977 Brougham 360. As I've seen so far, I'm doing the restore thing too. Still have a few things to figure out.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

AlohaMan
Explorer
Explorer
Add me to the list. Purchased sight unseen 1976 Mobile Traveler 318. Live in Hawaii but going to Colorado to retrieve it in May. Get it mechanically sound and off to Mexico for the summer (I hope).