cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

thehoneybees
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention that we plan to tow a trailer with one of our
4x4 Suzuki Samurai's. Not new to towing the trailer, we used the same setup on our old truck/camper. Hopefully the weight limits for the new to us 1980 Dodge Sportsman 360, Honey 23' motorhome, will be accepting of our trailer and which ever Samurai we load to take to the mountains.

Any of the seasoned RVers with advise. please reply

thehoneybees
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a 1980 Dodge Sportsman chassis V8 360, with a 1981 Honey 23' foot motorhome, sleeps 6 people . All original intererior in good condition. Microwave, full bathroom with tub/shower sink and toilet, 3way frig, A/C,furnace, rollout carefree awning,TV antenna.
Came with a file folder with all the original manuals for everything and all maintanence records.

The outside ladder had been removed (damaged) by the previous owner. We found a ladder and luggage rack, lens covers, I even found 2 sink cover boards that fit over the sinks, radio antenna, vinyl cover for dodge van windshield/driver/passenger windows at a local salvage/junk yard, for a great price.

I was surprised there were only 3 motorhomes at the junk yard we went to. And one just happen to the same year dodge.

Any colorado people know of any RV salvage/junk yards anywhere in Denver?
Realized after purchasing the Honey motorhome that it is an orphaned
company last models were made in 1990. Anyone know of any websites for our classic motorhome.
How do we find out what size of a quiet generator to purchase?
I have seen these small Honda generators,seems convenient for lifting out of the motorhome and placing outside for use.
We camp in backwoods country, not rv parks.

What a change this will be after years of truck/cabover camper, then
last few years of tent/tarps camping. I doubt we will every give up all our tarps,chuckbox etc. LOL

We are in the process of getting the ladder and luggage rack mounted. And me going thru years of camping gear.

Glad you started this thread about Dodge Classics!!!

regal5575
Explorer
Explorer
D&Sluv2fishandcampMN wrote:
How many of you take your old beasts on trips of 150+ miles? I have always limeted mine to about 1 hour long trips.

We take our 1970 Travco from Michigan to Florida and back every winter. 1220 miles, one-way.
Jerry & Diane

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgiardi wrote:
Hello everyone I am a very happy owner of a 1974 Robinhood RV. I paid $1300 for it and in the past month I have replaced all the interior carpets, painted it, and I was told that the old owner didn't know if any of the appliances worked or not. I have had a water heater melt down and I have replaced it with one I got on EBay. It has 360, auto, headers, and a lovely flame paint job. I will never get sick of her. On the first trip I found out that there was one leak and that is fixed now it was the front window. I love the putty tape god is great for making that. I donโ€™t have any information on my RV but would love some. Also I have a very large knowledge about repairing anything. Handyman by trade. Sleeps 6 2 above cab, 2 on table, and to above table on a drop down bed.

Welcome Bgiardi!!

You gotta post some pic's of your rig. I know it's sweet with
a flame job!!! Let's see it!

Mark a.k.a whiteknight001

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
jollybg wrote:
hello forum, I'm a new breed of super newbies who is completely lost when it comes to my 79 dodge sportsman heritage that i just recently purchased. I have been reading this 54 page thread for a bit, but I want to jump right in and ask a few questions. Please do not ream me I've at least tried to search... here we go:
the plan is to sorta remove some of the cabinetry. Is that possible?
I want to install a sound system (a DJ amp and 2 DJ speakers) is there enough juice? how should I setup it up? given I have no clue how the electrical system works on this baby. Do i need a generator?
The Mh has been sitting for a year but has been used once recently. What are the first thing I should do engine and maintenance wise? (its a 440)
Where can I get a manual for this baby?
I did purchase the RV repair maintenance manual by ron livingston.
Can you guys help me out?

Hello Jollybg and welcome!!

To answer your questions:

#1 "I'm a new breed of super newbies who is completely lost when it comes to my 79 dodge sportsman heritage that i just recently purchased. I have been reading this 54 page thread for a bit, but I want to jump right in and ask a few questions. Please do not ream me I've at least tried to search... here we go:"

We all were newbs at one time or another. We won't ream you because no one did that to us. Dive in!

#2 "the plan is to sorta remove some of the cabinetry. Is that possible?"

Best way? Try it on paper first. Draw out what you want to do. If
your drawing skills are like mine, get a friend's help who's good
at drawing or pictures. Try taking things out that way before you
unpack the Sawzall. Cook up a plan for finishing the project too,
like carpet/paint/trim. etc for a pro look. Plan your work, then
work your plan.

#3 "I want to install a sound system (a DJ amp and 2 DJ speakers) is there enough juice? how should I setup it up? given I have no clue how the electrical system works on this baby. Do i need a generator? I did purchase the RV repair maintenance manual by ron livingston."

Here's where you will need to do some research. If possible ask the
previous owner about the electrical system. You picked an excellent
reference manual. Go to the section on electrical and look your rig
over closely. It may have a genset or not, or an inverter Take the time to look this over carefully. On these things it's always smart to be safe- have it checked out by a local RV dealer, and add up the amount of watts used by everything you want to use in your rig. Then go from there. Leave yourself some room power-wise and use your better judgement. And have fun!

#4 "The Mh has been sitting for a year but has been used once recently. What are the first thing I should do engine and maintenance wise? (its a 440) Where can I get a manual for this baby?

Once again, crack that manual you have now. An RV rides on a 1 ton or larger truck chassis, so look things over closely. Pop the engine cover( we call it a doghouse- some have actually been used for that.)
and look at the condition of things there, hoses, belts, etc. If the
rig starts and runs good, consider doing a tuneup, changing oil and
filters, check your antifreeze and fluid levels. Make sure the brakes and tires are in good shape and regularly check air pressure. Turn on the headlights and turn signals/flashers/brake lts and make sure all are working properly. Sounds a little nitpicky but it makes all the difference. Besides, the Captain of his ship must know it inside-out
before he sets out to sea. And you are the Captain, my man. Just do
the little things regularly and you'll do well. And you'll really be
able to say: "Yeah. Have sound equipment and booking- will travel!"

Invest in a Chiltons or other repair manual for the year of Dodge
truck you own- a '79 model. Along with your RV maintenance manual you'll be well-prepared to handle things on your own as much as possible. If it is a class C (looks like a Sportsman van in front)
you can find an owners manual for incomplete cab/chassis
and have the greasy side down/motive part covered. As far as the RV body? Well, that'll take a little doing. Post pix of your rig and ask if anyone has one like it, or manuals to share copies of. We'll try to
help you that way.

Once again, welcome! And good luck with all your efforts! You can DJ
the national rally for us.

your greasy compadre

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

jollybg
Explorer
Explorer
hello forum, I'm a new breed of super newbies who is completely lost when it comes to my 79 dodge sportsman heritage that i just recently purchased. I have been reading this 54 page thread for a bit, but I want to jump right in and ask a few questions. Please do not ream me I've at least tried to search... here we go:
the plan is to sorta remove some of the cabinetry. Is that possible?
I want to install a sound system (a DJ amp and 2 DJ speakers) is there enough juice? how should I setup it up? given I have no clue how the electrical system works on this baby. Do i need a generator?
The Mh has been sitting for a year but has been used once recently. What are the first thing I should do engine and maintenance wise? (its a 440)
Where can I get a manual for this baby?
I did purchase the RV repair maintenance manual by ron livingston.
Can you guys help me out?

bgiardi
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone I am a very happy owner of a 1974 Robinhood RV. I paid $1300 for it and in the past month I have replaced all the interior carpets, painted it, and I was told that the old owner didn't know if any of the appliances worked or not. I have had a water heater melt down and I have replaced it with one I got on EBay. It has 360, auto, headers, and a lovely flame paint job. I will never get sick of her. On the first trip I found out that there was one leak and that is fixed now it was the front window. I love the putty tape god is great for making that. I donโ€™t have any information on my RV but would love some. Also I have a very large knowledge about repairing anything. Handyman by trade. Sleeps 6 2 above cab, 2 on table, and to above table on a drop down bed.

ssvette
Explorer
Explorer
westtexus wrote:
I have an Edelbrock 750 carb. It has two vacuum ports on the front, one is very strong at idle, one is very weak at idle. Both provide timing advance when the engine is sped up, the timing stays at 8 degrees BTC at idle. Which port should I use?

Their should be little to no vacuum to the advance port during idle unless you have the idle set to high which exposes the ported vacuum slot in the bore by the butterfly notice if you reduce the idle speed the ported vacuum will drop also.

Here is another quote someone else asked it is very much like your question maybe this explaination is clearer:

On the carb, one is timed vacuum, one is ported vacuum or manifold vacuum. You are not going to get "more" vacuum from the manifold than the ported vacuum, it defies physics. Now the timed vacuum port only gives vacuum after a valve opens, butterfly that is. The timed vacuum port is above the butterfly, so at idle, that port sees little if any vacuum because it is "open" to the atmosphere (above the vacuum source, the manifold) You may get a quicker response at the distributor from the manifold because the port is about 10 times the size as the one in the carb. Some Phords have the distributor vacuum line coming right off the intake.

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Edelbrock 750 carb. It has two vacuum ports on the front, one is very strong at idle, one is very weak at idle. Both provide timing advance when the engine is sped up, the timing stays at 8 degrees BTC at idle. Which port should I use?
Westtexus 1991 Fleetwood Flair

ssvette
Explorer
Explorer
westtexus wrote:
Can anyone tell me if the vacuum advance on 440-3 distributer is to have constant vacuum, or not?

It should be to a ported vacuum, this way the timing will change
with the increase in vacuum. Use a timing light and watch the vacuum
change as you rev-up the motor, a non-ported vacuun would be a constant advance in timing.Unported vacuum is an excellent tuning tool to see the over-all condition of the motor 17-20 at idle is ideal.

westtexus
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me if the vacuum advance on 440-3 distributer is to have constant vacuum, or not?
Westtexus 1991 Fleetwood Flair

NewfMom
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven our 76 GMC midas about 3 hours each way. I'm still amazed how well that old thing drives! Only problem we've had on the road so far is a blowout, front driver's side. That was before I learned about tire issues, and how to check age,etc. It was scary, but DH handled it great and we lucked out with no damage underneath.

OldDodgeJohn
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you take your old beasts on trips of 150+ miles? I have always limeted mine to about 1 hour long trips.

We drove ours to the beach and back. 200+ each way. It ran fine. I figure if you've got oil in the crankcase, air in the tires, coolant in the radiator, and gas in the tank you'll probably get there. That applies to all vehicles.

Only running issue I've got at the moment is the starter turns the engine very slowly after a gas stop. i.e. when the engine's hot. Engine spins fine when cold. I had to replace the starter because the old one was failing to engage reliably, but the hot start behavior is the same on the old starter and the new one. I'm going to try and add a heat shield of some sort between the engine and the starter; I'm guessing that's the problem.

sa1lng
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
Need help here, my 79 dodge 440 runs hot on hills, have replaced radiator with a 4 core super cooler, new stat, new hoses, new cap, and installed a new large transmission cooler and 50/50 antifreeze, motor runs cool in town with Vegas high temps and stop and go with no problem, runs cool on flat highways however it all goes to #@%$* when I drive up large grades in the summer, with all this work what is going wrong or is this normal for these old dodge motorhomes...

We had a 1977 Allegro class A based on a Dodge 440 chassis. The best thing I ever did was replace the exhaust system with dual full flow systems. We never ran hot again, and the rig just ran super
Donna and Brian
Sebastian, FL
'07 Chevy Duramax 2500
08 Travel Lite Truck Camper
2008 HD RoadKing

ssvette
Explorer
Explorer

Just got back from a 720 mile trip 7 hours each way, averaged about 8MPG not to bad but a lot of work to get it to this level. Showers everyday and everything works even the fresh water level and battery level gauges. I did install a new fan system on the fridge it kept the trout frozen all the way home.