cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann, that rig is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to put a pic of the 73 Tioga in my profile...
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
We always want pics - and details ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
More details... pics if you want 'em... and plenty of questions forthcoming.

lol I promise... especially with the latter.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent, Eyeteeth! You're in good company! No twin I-beam front ends to go wacky for us!

Details! (and a pic?)

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Well... add one more to the list of owners.

I finally found something that fit my "budget". I haven't taken possession yet, but am finishing a deal for a '79 Dodge 24' Holiday Rambler. While the DW isn't too keen on the age of the Unit, it was 1) in our non-existent budget, and 2) the only real way to get the desired floor plan.

I'll have many more questions coming to this thread in the future. lol.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, no fuel injection for me. Too expensive, no support. A simple Eddy Performer intake and AFB with a K&N will be just fine! ๐Ÿ˜‰

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
How about a Holley TBI Fuel inject system verse the carb,, you wont have any of those old carb Blluuueeeesss....

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, the Summit Racing brand cam kits are actually made by Crane, and are top quality. Their timing gear sets are Cloyes. I've been using them since the mid 90's or so and never had any issue. And for well under $100.00 delivered, you just can't go wrong! The RV grind is a good one, especially for small blocks.

Small block Mopars EAT their timing chains for some reason. It's not uncommon to hear stories about only having 500 miles on a set and it's shot. That's why I go double roller right away. If someone would ever develope a cost effective gear drive set-up, that's be the hot ticket!

For exhaust, I've changed my mind and will not use headers. That's alot of heat coming through the dog house. A set of late model Magnum manifolds will work just fine (they breath a whole lot better than the original ones).

What's wrong with my engine? I don't know yet! It only runs at 3500 rpms, no matter what! Not only is it getting too much air through somewhere, but it's getting enough fuel to allow it to run like that! Probably a major vacuum leak combined with a sunk float or other defect in the lousey Holley carb. I can't do anything with the engine until I can get it to idle at about 850rpms. It just started doing this, I can't explain it. I've never encountered it before!

But, in true "Master-of-lost-causes" fashion, I'll figure it out!

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
I hear you on the swapping engines. I thought of that while I was buying.

Keep me posted on the engine. I have a 22 foot at about 9000 pounds and probably a litle more loaded up. Bone stock with an exhaust leak and it does okay. a decent exhaust would be real good if I wasn't planning on towing which I probably shouldn't with this tranny. May put a cooler on? the 4 barrel 6 cfm edel I have in the garage would be perfect and I just need the intake. 80 bucks off ebay. that would probably give me what I need. I may do the chain to just because I've heard horror stories about the stock set up breaking. don't know if there is any truth to it. I don't know about the cam. The old RV cam that's in there is probably an iron beast. I'm going to leave mine as there have been too many soft cams going around these days. My rig only has 59000 so it will be okay.

Get that carb and let us know how she sounds. Got spark? Compression?

Ken

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Ken

I'm waiting to "borrow" another boat-anchor 2v carb from a friend just so I can run this thing and trouble shoot the engine. If it does in fact have issues, then I have a lead on a new engine cheap. But I'm not looking forward to lifting this tank up that high to pull the engine out!

So, if my little experiment works, and I find there is nothing wrong with the engine, I'll definately go the Performer route and a Summit cam kit (as well as new lifters, push rods, and chain set, might as well while I'm in there!). Not sure about exhaust yet other than 2.25" duals. I need to do more research on headers for vans... The trick to this rig is to get her working safely and properly first, than worry about the FUN stuff! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Eric

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
don&max,

Absolutely, i never walk into these "projects" with my eyes shut. doesn't sound like power wagon does either. I have also rebuilt various cars, boats, and other campers. Your point is very correct and funny. the guy I bought this MH from used the lower miles, 59000, as a selling point and became aggitated as I explained that is not a good thing. But....for 3 grand and being in great shape with everything working, straight body, new tires, brakes.....it was a no brainer. But....I can work on these babies no problem and actually enjoy it.

PW, the elastamere stuff is a coating separate from the plastacoat sealer. Supposed to be a three step process of using the sealant around seams, then strengthening with a mesh, re-sealing, then coating the whole roof with a roll on coating. I'm not sure if all that is going to be necessary. Looking into it though.

Did you ever decide to pull the intake and put on a performer and edle carb? i am definitely going with the tri-y's and 3 inch h-pipe for exhaust but am up in the air on the intake and cam? Figure it's already got a RV am in it? Timing gear is probably a no brainer on these? i'm also afraid the performer and edle carb won't fit under the dog house? I'm not sure the increase in horses will be worth the decrease in gas mileage. I want to pull a boat about 3000 pounds so the torque and horses are needed. HMMMM! What to do?

Ken

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
Beware of old motorhomes with low mileage they have sat for a long long time and that aint good !
If it aint broke fix it till it is

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
It is a rubber like material when cured, and can be rolled on. The refective quality? It's grey in color, so I doubt it'd have much affect on temps.

I paid $29.00 a gallon for it locally, and seems to go farther than the can says. They say to get it to about 1/8" thick and covers 50 sq.ft. I think I'm getting a tad better yeild.

The trick to using the stuff is to read the dircetions. This material is by far better than the other 34 years of******spackled on my roof!:B

Eric

mkpj1
Explorer
Explorer
Eric,

That's what i have been reading. the Plasti-cote is for borders and seams and the Elastamere is a roll on reflective "rubber-like?" covering for the whole roof. Maybe like those spray on bedliners for pick-ups? The reflective nature of it is supposed to reduce heat quite a bit?

Ken

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
mkpj1 wrote:
Anybody used any elstemeric or plasticote products for their roofs?

Any opinions?

ken
76 22 foot

Ken, I've been using the Plasticote stuff for aluminim on mine. Strange material, but if you follow the directions, it SEEMS to work pretty well! I say "SEEMS" because it's still pretty fresh! I'm about to brush it to seal the screwed on gutter extrusions, possibly the top edges of the windows as well!

Eric