cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Summit has the regulators. Leeann is spot on with the set-up. I'll be doing exactly the same thing. Only buy a new or slightly used one at a swap meet. No need to throw good money after bad on someone elses junk, if ya know what I mean! ๐Ÿ˜‰
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Summitt have these?
There's a swap meet in Canfield this weekend, I will have a look.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, they work with anything. It'll get put up near the engine and dialed to whatever pressure we want. We actually bought 4 on eBay (a package deal) for the price of 1. We're keeping a spare so we have 2 extra to get rid of ๐Ÿ˜‰

This isn't a tank regulator, per se: it's a fuel pressure regulator. We need enough kick from the electric pumps to get the fuel from the back tank up to the engine, no matter what we're doing (ie climbing a mountain towing the race trailer), so we bought stronger pumps. But when it gets to the engine, it needs to be not strong enough to flood it, so the pressure regulator will dial it down for us. The adjustability is the best part - adjust it for the fuel pressure your specific engine needs.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Eric, much appreciated; at that price, I knew it'd be go fast.
Although... this time of year seems to me folks will want to unload what they have rather than store it. Maybe I'll find what I want "cheap" *g*

Cheap is a good thing.

Leeann,
What kind of "stock" regulator is on the original gas tank?
These Holley regulators work with anything? I have found tank regulators are brand-specific, but my experience of them is in dealing with the Merc.
....I cleaned the original up and use it! Not bad for 66 yrs old.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry Trish. The guy with the Ford FINALLY got back to me and it's sold. I'll keep looking for ya!

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I like your fuel pump words ๐Ÿ˜‰

We've installed 2 extra tanks on our RV and have installed (but not taken live quite yet) electric fuel pumps on each. And each is controlled by 2 toggle switches on the dash - a not-so-complicated way to make sure only one pump is activated at any one time. I like toggle switches, too :B

Both toggles have 3 positions. One toggle either selects the other toggle or the pump on the very back tank - the generator tank - with the middle position being off. The other toggle selects the pump on the front tank, the other toggle and the pump on the mid/back tank (top to bottom).

Everything's installed for that system except the mid/back tank. Which we just finished making new hangers for (the old ones wouldn't work where we have to install it) and will install this weekend. I've got a block-off plate with gasket and bolts to remove the mechanical pump altogether, too.

Oh, and we've got a Holley fuel pressure regulator that's going into that system up by the motor, too. So no matter what, we've always got the same fuel pressure to the engine.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
75Americanclipper wrote:
I love my American Clipper, the new fuel pump work but I think I clean the one in the rear by the gas tank I hope that minght help, or the ground wire is not working all the time, so here I go again, wish me luck.

re: Fuel pumps.
CarQuest sells an aftermarket electronic fuel pump that WILL work on old engines.
1-yr warranty, easy install. Word: if you replace with one of these, set it back by the gas tank but within easy access, gravity helps.
$70 or so with tx.

I got one on the Merc, put it on 2 yrs ago, works great. No grief.

The Merc is running a 67 Buick 340, 4160 Edelbrock on the stock manifold, taken to .30 with new mains,crank and cam --my dad's work.
The Buick's *about* 370hp, no one's quite sure, a guestimate from his notes.

Another fuel pump word: Put a toggle switch on to start /stop it.
Mostly I like toggle switches.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon wrote:
OK Trish, I'll give the seller a call. If it's still for sale, I'll have a look-see!

I'll mail you the old DODGE logo from the hood of my PW and you can slap it on thenose

Thankee.
For both. *g*

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
75Americanclipper wrote:
Trish you say that the New Craftsman tools junk, how new you talking about

Mine are ok, had nothing happen, plus it you break it the replace it for free
jc

"New Craftsman tools --socket sets, drill chucks-- are JUNK, stay away!"

In'88 (on an old Harley, no jokes, please, I always got it home), I spun the inside-ratchet-thing by the side of the road one day and took it apart when I got home to find it had plastic gears (wrong word, right idea).

Yeah, Sears replaced it, but with another one with a plastic gear.

4 years ago, I lost one of the springs out of a drill chuck. OLD chuck with the 3 springs that tighten /loosen, was using it on the post drill.

A post drill IS NOT electrical, one I have's got a date of 1909 and a stamping from a foundry in Pittsburgh. Post drills are great, you can drill 1/2" plate if you want.

I called, they wanted a part # for replacement.
Fair enough.

"Craftsman" is clearly stamped on the top bit of the chuck. Took it in.
"No replacement" on electrical parts.
"No part number, no replacement"
And so on.

Boiled down to Sears would not honor their "lifetime replacement" bit.
Hey, they should have been tickled a drill chuck from the 30's didn't give it up for 70 years.

Sears doesnt' have the Craftsman line in chucks now, it's all Jacobs made in --you guessed it --China.

New Craftsman? Never.

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You so much for the effort. These numbers are on the face of the manifold towards the front of the engine. I removed the doghouse to see them. Is this the correct location?

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
eyeteeth wrote:
I always liked the American Clippers. Almost bought one. However I thought they were 4 peices of fiberglass? The roof, the back, and each side. The Robin hood I mentioned earlier in the thread was fiberglass as well.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: she asked if the roof was one piece and I intended to say yes....

I missed her asking about the roof... prolly sorry here too. ๐Ÿ™‚

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
IdahoJamboree wrote:
MasterBoondocker; I have those casting numbers for you. There are two sets.

D0511
4D41468C

IJ ....those numbers do not ring-a-bell at all !! ... there should be 7 numbers ...and no letters. I will look these up by mid-nite - at the latest.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
I always liked the American Clippers. Almost bought one. However I thought they were 4 peices of fiberglass? The roof, the back, and each side. The Robin hood I mentioned earlier in the thread was fiberglass as well.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: she asked if the roof was one piece and I intended to say yes....

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer

IdahoJamboree
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker; I have those casting numbers for you. There are two sets.

D0511
4D41468C