cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Big_John1
Explorer
Explorer
Blowing oil out onto the tire? I'm with Boondocker here. If the oil is blowing out rather then just leaking, I'd be worried that you have other issues like a cracked piston or something like that causing that much crank case pressure.

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
The VC gaskets can be severe leakers tooo. THIS is what I think it is. If part of your OP gasket was missing .. you would be losing a TON of oil.

During that drive from PA to MI ? .... 700 miles ? .... you would have probably run OUT of oil halfway into your trip !

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
One piece? You might be able to get it in there with a lot of cussing but not much trauma. You will have to make enough clearnace that you can slide the gasket under the oil pick-up unit, otherwise just put it on!

Remember, don't over-tighten the bolts or else you'll be changing it again!

And yes, all of your gaskets are going to be shot. The only way they keep working is with regular use. Don't be surprised when you need to change your seals on the tranny and rear end too! just the nature of the beast!
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon

I picked up a gasket at lunch today... one piece.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see it squished out, I would say rotted out before blown out. The Valve cover gaskets I pulled off were VERY dried and cracked. The unit spent the last couple of years pretty much stationary. PO claims he started it 'bout once a month, but I have my doubts.

How much? Well, we drove from East PA to West MI and haven't had to add anything yet... it's just making a mess.

How much oil do these usually take? I had the oil changed before I left with it, the shop put in 7 (!!!) quarts. Seemed high to me. At first I figured it was just "self leveling", but as it got worse I started looking into it more.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
MasterBoondocker wrote:
9er ...I don't have a Class C sitting here. What would you imagine the job would take ? ...would the motor have to be RAISED to get the pan off?

I'm 30 miles from mine right now, so I can be of no use (as usual). And I have an LA, not an RB, so even less of a help.

I'd bet if he wrestled with it, he could do it by just dropping the pan. Be sure to glue it on so it doesn't move while you're trying to put it back together.

I don't remember, is the 440 pan gasket 1 or 4 pieces?

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
Is the gasket all squished out ? ... or BLOWN out ? ... how much oil is it blowing out ..... miles per quart ?

You just MIGHT have some serious motor "issues".

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
If it wasn't blowing out hard enough to coat the inside of the passenger wheel, I might consider simply adding oil.

I'm hoping I could just drop the pan, and slide it back. I have a couple inches clearance to the cross member... which is fairly close to the front of the oil pan.

You're scaring me...

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the motor has to be raised if it's like our Ram van.

Unbolt the motor mounts, jack up the front of the van, put a couple jack stands under the motor to hold it up, then let the van back down (the motor mounts usually get stuck). Then you can unbolt and pull the oil pan.

I don't think it's a 10 hr job, though. iirc, it took us about 2 tops to replace the one on our van.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
9er ...I don't have a Class C sitting here. What would you imagine the job would take ? ...would the motor have to be RAISED to get the pan off?

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Adding oil is cheaper than 10 hours of labor! :B

I wonder if you clean up the area real well with brake cleaner if Eternabond will work?:W

MasterBoondocke
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
More Repair questions...

Looks like I need to replace the oil pan gasket as well. Actually... even more so than the valve cover gaskets. Good 'ole 440 power plant.

Any words of wisdom from the gear heads?

On a van-chassis .... YOU have your work CUT OUT for ya' !

On my class A ? ... 10 minute job. Yours ? .... 10 hours ?? ... if you are good.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
More Repair questions...

Looks like I need to replace the oil pan gasket as well. Actually... even more so than the valve cover gaskets. Good 'ole 440 power plant.

Any words of wisdom from the gear heads?

75Americanclipp
Explorer
Explorer
saw this one ebay, 3 of them now

The American Clippers are great in that it has a full fiberglass body. Really cuts down on the worry of corrosion and leaks. I just completed a couple of trips on it and was getting between 10-13 MPG depending on speed and terrain. Here are a couple of websites that have some great information on these homes:

http://www.americanclipper.com/index.htm
http://www.americanclipperownersclub.com

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Summit has them.

Of the 4 we got, 3 of them look brand-new. The 4th looks just slightly used - the metal just looks older. No dents, scratches, etc. And they all still have the plastic plugs in them.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo