cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some part information from the mopar gurus.

My cab is listed as a 78 F40. Engine is a 440. I assume the 727 trans. I have cruise control on this puppy... what I do not have, is a working speedometer cable. Apparently something was moved, changed, or relocated at some point, and my current speedo cable committed hari kari on the exhaust.

The parts stores around here look at me like I'm crazy... "a '78 wha?"

I found one close on evil bay, but it was "non-cruise" model.

I'm lso trying to find a halogen sealed beam 'low' headlight.

Thanks.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I got mine from Mancini Racing:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/automatictrans.html

...and I never use quickie lube places. I do all that myself...
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
JulianTracker wrote:
I have the 440 with the 727 trans in my '78 tioga and would like to put the pan extender kit in it. where would I find this kit? any suggestions.

Your local Dodge dealer can order it or may have it in stock. Ask for Mopar Performance P4120161AB (chromed steel), P3690730AB (plain steel), or P5007793AB (cast aluminum)

Also, try Summit Racing Equipment: Chromed Steel, Plain Steel, or Cast Aluminum.

Interestingly, the chromed steel pan is the least expensive.

WARNING: If you have a transmission pan with a drain plug and go to a quick lube place for an oil change, keep an eye on the workers. The tranny drain plug is sometimes the first thing they see so they drain the tranny instead of the engine. They even failed to notice the difference in fluid color and assume they drained the engine. I've heard of cases where they've overfilled the engine, left the tranny dry, and pretty much destroyed everything between the radiator and driveshaft.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

JulianTracker
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 440 with the 727 trans in my '78 tioga and would like to put the pan extender kit in it. where would I find this kit? any suggestions.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I will check it out, but Wal*mart has a mattress that would work for $120. Perfect width, but about 11 inches short. I wanted to make a headboard/shelving/cabinet/ ala waterbeds to keep more stuff in.

If the mattress was any good, I was going to pick up a second one, cut it in half, and replace the mattresses in the bunks too.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Eye, do a Google for Bed in a Box, they are a memory foam manufacture that will custom make you a bed for REALLY good prices, free delivery, and VERY fast turn-around! I have their king sized bed upstairs right now ($500.00 delivered!) and it is the most comfortable thing I ever slept on! Plus, it was the only way to get a bed bigger than a full sized up my stairs...

Eric
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
A topper with nothing under it? The one I'm looking for is a combination of memory foam and denser foam designed to be a complete mattress replacement for sofa hide-a-beds.

The current mattresses are about 4 inches, so it works out.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Finally have all the paneling and moulding put back in the overhead and ceiling. Threw a little paint on it just to see if I like the colors we picked out... I think it will work just fine. Now its on to lining the shower area with waterproof paneling stuff I found at Home Depot and then get the counter tops built and installed and paint it all, new flooring..... man it never stops.... I thought once I would get to do some fall camping but looking more like spring at best... oh well, its all good....
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
A topper with nothing under it? The one I'm looking for is a combination of memory foam and denser foam designed to be a complete mattress replacement for sofa hide-a-beds.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
broke the little plastic connection for city water. ๐Ÿ˜ž Dang it...

Happens a lot...really. You're not alone ๐Ÿ˜‰

eyeteeth wrote:
I've been trying to track down a 4" memory foam mattress for the cab over. EVERY single store around here that carries the one I want is sold out.

We have a 3" topper that we like a lot - and any thicker would be too much. Got it at Sam's Club.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Had a little time last night...
so I put the lights back in the bunks and the bathroom.
installed the water pump
connected the water lines to the heater, faucets, and water pump.
but broke the little plastic connection for city water. ๐Ÿ˜ž Dang it...
installed the doors to the closet, and the bathroom.
Found a temporary home for, and put away, all the various tools I had been using.
cleaned the place up to make it livable.
I guess we'll test he water incoming, and outgoing this weekend at the campgroud. !!!!

No worries?

I've been trying to track down a 4" memory foam mattress for the cab over. EVERY single store around here that carries the one I want is sold out.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth wrote:
I realized while typing in another thread...

Even after I am done buying all the materials and the replacement parts, I will still probably have less tied up in this unit than one years depreciation of a new RV with bunks. ๐Ÿ™‚ There's something to smile about.

:C

...and same here, too. 'Tis a wonderful thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I realized while typing in another thread...

Even after I am done buying all the materials and the replacement parts, I will still probably have less tied up in this unit than one years depreciation of a new RV with bunks. ๐Ÿ™‚ There's something to smile about.

Brett_J
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's cool. You have flown in the face of society by working hard to fix the old, instead of just buying new.