cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

oslotaxi
Explorer
Explorer
A bit offtopic maybe ?
Just wondering,have anyone ever seen a MH like this ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-Landau-Imperial-35-Motorhome-RV-Ad-_W0QQitemZ350165192339QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090212?IMSfp=TL0902121210008r31885

it looks real cool !!

Johnny

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
My wires are 7mm silicon resistor (and I, too, don't remember what brand), plugs are Champion truck plugs and the cap & rotor are Standard Motor Blue Streak, as recommended by a friend who only owns 70s Dodge trucks. I don't remember what brand of coil I used; it was just what they had in stock.

I did all of these 2 years ago and they are still good (I checked last weekend).
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure which is "better" Alan but the ones I just put on say they're AC Delco cap and rotor and they replaced the same which worked without problems for 2 1/2 years.

Wires were replaced by the last PO and are 7mm silicon resistor (don't know the brand name off the top of my head) and also seem to work fine. Plugs are "stock" champion and don't need replaced yet as they were done the same time the wires were.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
OK Kendas, back to old dodge class c discussion. I am going to change out the plug wires, dist. cap and rotor and coil as I have observed most of you have done.(I have already changed out the plugs) Any advise on a specific type or brand that works better than other. Mine is a 1974 w/ 360.
Thanks,
A.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Okay people... Let's drop the argument on emissions. It matters not in this thread and political BS will get the thread closed. I'll live with it because of where I'm at and I don't know if historic plates on a '78 will exempt me.

Now let's get back to talking about Dodge class Cs (yes Griff and company can stay since they are "honorary" class Cers).

Ken

USAF Retired

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
^ double amen!

Though I don't have to bring my rig for emissions testing...the benefits of Historic plates (and/or being older than 1977).

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
"It's all just a bunch of BS for the government to get more money from us."

Amen !
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
I understand this emissions thing, but some states are just over the top. The used to have it in MI but eventually they did a way with it. What was found was that every car that was passing was going to pass and that the ones that were failing there were to many work arounds, like if it is going to cost more to repair to make it pass, you got an exemption and never had to be tested again. And come on on a Motorhome, it should fall in the same catagory as the medium duty trucks, I mean after all most class C's even the smallest are in that Category based on GVW alone, not to mention GCW. I mean I am all for doing my part, yet at the same time these are old carb'd motors in "heavy" vehicles, they are going to emit some bad stuff, no way around it. It's part of the lifestyle. Heck with these old motors running on good fuel (no ethenol straight gas) they would probably pass just fine as that is what the motors were designed to run on. Now with this government mandated E-10 crap, that my be just enough to get them to fail. It's all just a bunch of BS for the government to get more money from us.

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Griff in Fairbanks wrote:

Kendas - I usually have the folks in the hobby shop hook up their engine analyzer when I'm tweaking the carb. (On-post and on-base auto hobby shops are one of the advantages to being a military retiree.) They don't like dragging the analyzer out but do it to get me to stop cussing and swearing.

Personally, I believe the simplest design that works is best. I'd chuck the TQ and replace it with an Edelbrock.
Griff, I'm not sure I trust the auto hobby here at DM... Last time I was there they didn't understand that you don't need to open up the rear end of a 70's era LTD to remove a rear axle. Of course they same guys tried to press out the bearing on that axle without wrapping it in rags too. I corrected them and saved a few ankles when the bearing came apart.

As for the carb... Unless someone gives me one, it ain't going to happen. I've got enough problems having to replace the instrument cluster on my daily driver.

Looks like I've got enough info from you all now to get this thing past emissions one more time.

Thanks all!

Ken

USAF Retired

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "77" Dodge MB300 with the 360 and I average between 8-9 mpg. I've heard that the fuel injected models have the advantage of automatically adjusting for elevation and being able to use ethenol, but I'm sure about it....Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

steve93101
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies so far. I know about the "lean burn" and I believe that is on the early 1975 1976 Chrysler rigs.I have a '78 that has the normal pollution stuff. It has a bad engine, and ugly corrugated aluminum sides, always chasing leaks... so I am probably going to upgrade to a Lazy Daze or American Clipper. I am looking for a 19'-21' rig max, and prefer rear queen bed layout. So from I gather I might squeeze some more MPG from a non-lean burn 360 over a 440. The other rig I was considering is a later 80's Minnie Winnie or similar, something with fuel injection and a Chev 350 or Ford 3xxx. I guess the FI is a giant leap forward, any one get much better MPG with FI? I drove a Chevy with what I remember to be a P3 chassis or something. It seemed a bit more nimble and lighter than the old Dodge B300. What I am getting at is ( short of an underpowered Toyota "6") what is the best bang for the buck MPG wise in a 20 foot long RV, V8 engine... I have a budget up to 5K ?

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Spectramac wrote:
The hot ticket to pass emissions up here was always to pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover. As long as they didn't have to do an under hood check it worked like a charm.

Changing the oil and replacing the PCV valve are two of the things we do to make sure we pass emissions tests. The emissions testers up here do an under-the-hood inspection so there's not many tricks we can use to fool them.

Kendas - I usually have the folks in the hobby shop hook up their engine analyzer when I'm tweaking the carb. (On-post and on-base auto hobby shops are one of the advantages to being a military retiree.) They don't like dragging the analyzer out but do it to get me to stop cussing and swearing.

Personally, I believe the simplest design that works is best. I'd chuck the TQ and replace it with an Edelbrock.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
steve93101 wrote:
360 vs 440 Gas Mileage?
The owner claims 12 miles per gallon.Is that realistic, seems like B.S. to me.

Anyway , looking at similar Dodge B300 late 70's early 80's RV's. wonder if a 360 engine would get a little bit better MPG. If it matters I will not be towing.Anyone have personal experience and care to comment on what kind of MPG they get?

My 1970 Explorer 23' Class A (on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis) got 12 to 14 MPG before I tore it apart. 318-3 engine, two barrel Carter BBD, stock single exhaust, Loadflite A727 automatic, and Dana 70 rear axle with 4.10 ratio. It had a reasonable amount of horsepower and torque. (Remember, you'll be driving a fairly large, loaded truck ... you can't expect sports car performance.) Most of the time, I was passing small cars going up Turnagain pass and didn't have to downshift until the last 1/4 mile.

Of course, that was when I started adopting the "Enjoy the trip as well as the destination" philosophy.

When I started planning on MLP, an expert, who's opinion I trust, recommended staying with the 318, replacing the Carter BBD with a small four barrel, and switching to headers with dual exhaust. Based on that recommendation, I'm going with a early '70s 340 intake manifold, a Carter AFB four barrel, Thorley Tri-Y headers, and fairly large dual exhaust. I would have gone with an Edelbrock intake except for issues with aluminum at subzero temperatures. (At -30 and below, the difference in expansion between aluminum and steel can cause problems.) BTW, the Edelbrock carburetors are essentially modern versions of the Carter AFB.

With all due respect to Leadfoot Leeann, I personally I think most motorhomes are overpowered. In Leeann's case, it makes sense because she (and her BF) are pulling a trailer loaded with boats, spare engines, tools, and other stuff needed for competing in boat races. For most people, the big block engines are more than they need, unless they're really, really, really into stoplight-to-stoplight drag racing.

As for the much-hated lean burn system, I think politicians and automotive engineers needed to cross their arms, grasp their earlobes, and pull firmly until they heard a loud pop. California politicians and bureaucrats, in particular, had (and have) their heads so far up their butts it's amazing they're able to see anything.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
8-9 is more realistic. We get about 7 towing the race trailer up and down big hills with our 20' Class A with 440.

We originally had a '75 Class C with a California-emissions (ie lean burn) 360 and the poor thing could hardly get out of its own way, let alone anyone else's. That's why we bought the 20' with 440...without lean burn crap.

steve93101
Explorer
Explorer
360 vs 440 Gas Mileage?

I am considering buying a California smog engine 1976 American Clipper 20 footer. The owner claims 12 miles per gallon.Is that realistic, seems
like B.S. to me.

Anyway , looking at similar Dodge B300 late 70's early 80's RV's. wonder if a 360 engine would get a little bit better MPG. If it matters I will not be towing.Anyone have personal experience and care to comment on what kind of MPG they get?