cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

There should be a spigot or something on the outside to drain the tank. If not, get to a waste dump station, open the taps and send it through.

On mine, the tank is at the rear, across the back, and the tank drain spigot protrudes from under the sheet metal on the left. Locate your tank and check underneath to see if you have one.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

doom13c
Explorer
Explorer
hey there everybody. we were just given a 1976 Dodge Establishment 23'... with a 360 and an a727 tranny. She's quite the beast, but we like her. One thing I was wondering about was how to drain the pottable water tank so I can flush it out.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem with the mechanical fuel pump and our ThermoQuad (well, sorta...for us, it would start to flood at idle after 10 mins. or so of running but got worse when we shut it off). Turned out to be the wrong fuel pump - it was the HD version instead of the regular (HD was for school buses, etc. where the tank was far from the engine). Replaced it with the correct pump and all was well.

Definitely adjust the choke as suggested, but also check your fuel pressure. 5 psi, I think, is the highest needed for a carb.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga76 wrote:
Does anyone know what might be causing the flooding? I replaced the original carb with a rebuilt one last year (the original had the same problem). The carb does not stay flooded after the engine is running; it only floods after I shut it down. The carb is a Holley 2210 2bbl.

The carb. I don't know what it is about 2V carbs used on Mopar's, but once they need a rebuild, they never work right again! Just be thankful it's not a dreaded BBD!

But my first guess is that your choke isn't working properly, it's resetting to quickly. Try bending the control rod to keep it open longer (little test bends at a time until you get it right).

Also, these older engine aren't big fans of E10 fuels. Even a seasoned carb user can have difficulty re-learning their engine when starting it after heat soak, and it's do to the change in fuel chemistry. E10 also eats up the needle and seat on your float assemblies, in Carter/Weber carbs anyway.

Just remember for emission testing purposes, lean is not always the best, you need to find that perfect balance to simply pass the test. Once passed, then re-set it all so you can actually drive the darn thing! :B

I can't believe you have to test a one ton vintage vehicle. It's not like it gets used enough to actually affect anything, in the grand scheme of things.
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Tioga76
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the Tioga failed the emissions test today because of smoke.:M The problem I have is that after I drive it around for awhile and then shut it down, the carb gets completely flooded after about 5 minutes. So when I go to the emissions place it takes them 5 or 10 minutes to hook up the equipment, and it won't start unless I hold the gas pedal to the floor while its cranking, and then it makes a huge cloud of black smoke when it starts. Does anyone know what might be causing the flooding? I replaced the original carb with a rebuilt one last year (the original had the same problem). The carb does not stay flooded after the engine is running; it only floods after I shut it down. The carb is a Holley 2210 2bbl.
Tioga76

1976 Tioga w/ Dodge 360

Tioga76
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
Tioga76, nice looking MH. How does that thing do climing the grades out there in Colorado with the 360? I have a similiar size MH, and the wife wants to visit her friend in Idaho this summer. So it would be a long run from MI to Idaho Falls. We are trying to decide weather or not to tow the Jeep with us. I am not to sure of the power to climb the hills out there though.

Going west out of Denver on I-70 I keep it in second gear up the big grades and I can do about 40 mph without pushing it really hard. I feel like the MH has just enough power as-is that it doesn't struggle too bad, but I don't know if I would try to tow anything with it.

ALnCORY wrote:
Nice looking Tioga, Tioga76. My brother lives in Englewood. I plan on making a run out to see him in my old dodge one of these days and do some camping along the way. Lots of great camping out here in the mountain west.

If you have time try to get a spot at the Moraine Park campground up in Rocky Mountain National Park. Wonderful views up there!

FrugalFreak wrote:
Beautiful Rig Tioga76! I wish mine had been yellow themed outside instead of just Poop brown. my inside is yellow on seats at least. Wanna trade

You can have my burnt orange swivel chairs if you want.:)
Tioga76

1976 Tioga w/ Dodge 360

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga76 wrote:
I have a 76 Tioga 23' Class C with the 360. It has about 88K miles, and still has all the original appliances in working order. I've had it about 3 years now, and aside from some minor maintenance it has been very reliable and I have enjoyed camping in it. Here are some pictures!

Nice Rig Nice Color.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Damn....NOOOOOOOOO - not apple red wheels with apple green rig.....

I highly doubt you have lockup in your MH. My '90 B250 with 360 and A518 didn't have lockup - vans that came from the factory with a towing package don't.

My '73 440/727 doesn't, the '75 MH with 360/727 didn't. And there is no mention of lockup with the Loadflite 727 (Torqueflites are in cars) in either my '73 books or my '75 books.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
79powerwagon. I am very aware of impacts on tire size and overall final drive. The I rolled one of the tires up next to the pickup's last time I had tham off the MH. They were deadly close in size. This led me to the conclusion that I have a different axle ratio, larger numerically, than the pickup, or the transmission does not have a lockup clutch. Some of the litterature have have on the 727, granted all they talk about is cars, says that in 1978 it did have a lockup clutch in the Torque Converter for all combinations except the 440. But this literature only discusses cars. I need some more info on the trucks.

On another note, 2 leafs added to the left pack, motorhome is all but level now. I drove it down a twisting road and it no longer feels like it wants to rolll over and have it's belly petted on right hand curves.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
OD, remember tire diameter has something to do with final drive ratio as well as the rear gearing. My old PW had 3.91 gears and 32" tires, 1900rpm at 45mph.

And speaking of tires, I FINALLY found a set of tires for my rig! That means (Trish and Leeann, you listening?) I can finally install those beautiful red wheels onto my apple green rig! :B
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

FrugalFreak
Explorer
Explorer

Beautiful Rig Tioga76! I wish mine had been yellow themed outside instead of just Poop brown. my inside is yellow on seats at least. Wanna trade ๐Ÿ™‚
P.S. Can anyone confirm that air breather can as the same one on a 440-1? or does anyone have a pic of one for a 440 carter 4 barrel or the mopar part number. I hate to ask SOOOO many questions, I just have SOOO many. I AM a Dodge RV grasshopper. ๐Ÿ™‚
15' ??Unknown?? Travel Trailer

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
1) Pickup has a lockup converter. Does my '78 Torque Flight 727 have a lockup converter with the 360 engine?

Unlikely.
overdrive75 wrote:
2) Was a 4:56 a possible axle?

Yes, my '73 chassis has a 4:56 axle.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so here is a rear axle ratio question. In my pickup I have a 4:10 and when the trans is in third at 60 mph I am turning about 2600 RPM. On the motorhome at 60 I am trunning 2900 almost 3000 RPM in 3rd. The tire height is about the same between the two. This leads me to believe that I have something other than a 4:10 in the motorhome. Two questions. 1) Pickup has a lockup converter. Does my '78 Torque Flight 727 have a lockup converter with the 360 engine? 2) Was a 4:56 a possible axle?

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking Tioga, Tioga76. My brother lives in Englewood. I plan on making a run out to see him in my old dodge one of these days and do some camping along the way. Lots of great camping out here in the mountain west.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
sweetnessmonster wrote:
Griff in Fairbanks wrote:
Pinging (pre-ignition/detonation) would be one reason for going to a colder plug.

I had forgotten to check the timing, I'll check it tomorrow. What should it be? I'll be sure to listen for any pinging too.

The spec on my '73 440 is 7ยฝยฐ BTDC.