cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
mbryanr,
I needed new side mirrors so I just went to the local salvage yard. I found some west coast style mirrors that were the perfect size for my 74 dodge brougham on a 70's era ford pickup. They actually had 3 or 4 pickups with the mirrors I wanted so I just picked the best looking set. I believe it cost me 10 or 12 bucks for the pair.
good luck,
A.
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

mbryanr
Explorer
Explorer
Alright everyone, you've helped us tremendously with the doghouse, carpet so far. One more request...anyone know where I can get a side view mirror for the Green Machine? (77 Dodge Brougham Class C). Getting prepared to replace the carpet, install a generator and AC, and other miscellaneous items. 33,000 miles on it, of which we have put 10,000 on it.

Thanks!! I will post pix when finished. Getting close to travel season!!

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Doug for the input....
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

Doug_in_CA
Explorer
Explorer
My 1976 has a 360 and the PO put in an auxilary electric fuel pump.
I often wondered why there was both an electric and a mechanical pump. Mopar mechanics have told me to remove one or the other. Occasionally when cruising 70 or more or on a steep incline the engine will starve for fuel. Kicking in the electric cures the problem. Also, the fuel bowl on my carb will be empty if the rig sits for weeks making it hard to start. Of course the electric pump helps out there to. Hope this helps with the 360 vapor lock question.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
440 here... can't help... ๐Ÿ˜ž

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
I guess no one has an answer for us Lefty...... I know the PO of mine ran it around the mountains here in Idaho and didn't say there was a problem... guess I will find out this summer.

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
ALnCORY wrote:
On the vapor lock question,,, was that more of a problem with the 440's or do the 360's have the same tendancy... I haven't run my 360 up any big grades in the summer but plan to this year.

I'm interested in this question myself...I might be getting another '77 in the spring and it's got a 360.
I didn't drive the last one (RIP) enough to find out.

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
On the vapor lock question,,, was that more of a problem with the 440's or do the 360's have the same tendancy... I haven't run my 360 up any big grades in the summer but plan to this year.

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Lieutenant Dan wrote:
just a couple of old Mopars hanging out at the campground

Two very nice Dodges there.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, most of us probably have. We re-routed the fuel line since we removed the mechanical pump anyway and ran it on the outside of the frame rail, where it'd get more cool air, then up the back of the engine to the carb. Keeps it away from most of the heat. That's the second re-route....the bf had it inside the frame rail the first time and we had major vapor lock going up a 6,500 ft hill on the PA turnpike in 94ยฐ heat. He re-routed it while we sat on the shoulder 1/3 of the way up.

You can add a small electric pump back near the tank to help push the fuel if you don't want to completely remove the mechanical (we did it when we added 2 tanks to make switching easier without the expense of a 3-way switch) pump and just use it as a pump helper when you need the most fuel, like going up a big hill.

Another option, thought up by Griff, is to add a marine bilge fan under the doghouse to remove some of the hottest air.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

jayhedden
Explorer
Explorer
tree seeker thanxs for the link.

heres a new topic,has anybody experienced vapor locks in there rv? i read somewhere that the older carbed ones like we have are notourious for that...?

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like fun Jerry, I am sure you can make it... your making great progress.

LT, my duster was a 72 with the slant six and 3 speed on the floor... it was green as well.... wish I still had it, it was a pretty mundane car but a good one.

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Al, I don't think your alone in that! We've got a trip to Fortworth, TX. in march "IF" I can get the RV finished.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Lieutenant_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys

John, isnt it cool how all of the most mundane cars of the 60s and early 70s are now classics?

Mines a 58K original mile 1973 Duster with a /6 and a 3 speed on the column but in a couple of years its getting a 340, a 4 speed, candy apple green paint and Im going to build a 70s retro hot rod to match the orange shag carpet in the Dodge RV. Theres only Mopars parked at my house (and campground) and the classics are the best!

John_H
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Lt,
I use to own a Duster also '75. I used for a work car, mine was called a "Gold Duster", back of back seat droped down for a streight threw shot, from trunk to front seat. A very, very good mill, 225 slant six, great tribute to Chrysler's MoPar !!!! Thanks for the picture/memory.
John H