cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood74 wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Be sure to take lots of photos of your too, We love the photos man.

Got the kitche area pretty much finished today, still have to add a small section of counter top. We took out the stove because it seemed like something we would never use.

I take it that it's a microwave where the oven might have been? Interesting 'Delete'.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Rockwood74
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Be sure to take lots of photos of your too, We love the photos man.

Got the kitche area pretty much finished today, still have to add a small section of counter top. We took out the stove because it seemed like something we would never use.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
gdhillard wrote:
With the squirter now working, the engine starts quickly when cold.

Note that after it sits for a number of days without being started, you will have to pump the gas pedal a few times before it will start. At first I didn't do this because I was afraid of flooding it, but without pumping it some it won't start. I have never had it flood on me.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
As the old saying goes. Drive it like you stole it! Enjoy
Hoppe

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
With the squirter now working, the engine starts quickly when cold. I'm a happy guy who will put prepossessing carb repair money into sewing up a new awning. Thank you all for the help.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Can't find specs on the carb.

The valve in the exhaust should open as engine speed increases. If it's stuck it needs to be cleaned up.
Hoppe

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood74 wrote:
Thanks oldtrucker63! Your thread on building yours is a real inspiration!
Thanks, Be sure to take lots of photos of your too, We love the photos man.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
Just took some pics of the carb and discovered I have a Holly 12r 4761b. I pushed the squitter a few times by hand and got a good squirt, so maybe the accelerator pump was stuck. The choke opens after a couple of minutes, and the intake manifold under the carb gets warm, but not hot. There is an iron wheel, attached to the right exaust manifold, maybe two inches in diameter, and a 1/4 inch thick, that can be rotated against a spring return by hand, but which does not turn on its own. I assume this is the butterfly valve for the exaust manifold for redirecting exaust under the carb when cold? Should it turn on its own when warming up?
Is the Holly a better carb than the Carter? Any trouble spots to look out for?

Thanks again,

Gary

Rockwood74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks oldtrucker63! Your thread on building yours is a real inspiration!

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood74 wrote:
Wow! I am so incredibly lucky to have found this forum. I just bought a 1974 Dodge Rockwood. We're doing a light restoration on her and this place is going to be a valuable resource for sure.

As you can see, she needs some work. Weather permitting I'll get started on the exterior upgrades this week.
Nice looking old Dodge Ya have there.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
gdhillard wrote:
Thank you! I would like to stick with the Carter and cast iron if reasonable, and I am happy with the current power. I have done the ignition fix up , with rotor, cap, wires, coil and plugs, but have not started on the intake. Maybe boil the manifold and rebuild the carb? Maybe a new timing chain set as well. Thanks for your help , and all the accumulated wisdom here. I have currently read up to page 180 of the thread.

Gary

Does the accelerator pump squirt strong? If so I'd then look to the fuel distribution/spray from the jets. It that reasonable, all you may need is some carb cleaner in the gas for a few tanks. I can't imagine what you'd need todo to the intake manifold, though.

If you are going to go to the extent of pulling the engine apart, you Could gasket match the intake to the heads, and the exhaust manifolds to the head. That (done right) would gain you 20-30 hp, for only the cost of gaskets and grinding stones. Just a bunch of labor mostly. The better flow would make it more efficient, and produce better mileage IF you could resist using the extra HP.:B

However this is not a recommendation,,, unless you just need something to do.

Of course if you want to spend money, Fuel injection, headers, new dual plane intake manifold, would save you some weight, as well as giving you more 'bragging rights'.:W Just kidding.

You'll probably not ever get more than 8-9mpg, because it's always running 'loaded'. My old 1976 Powerwagon PU super cab 4x4 only got 10 empty With a tailwind.
Hoppe

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
^ thanks ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Dannbo
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see another living executive. Leanne, the Concord is looking nice.

gdhillard
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! I would like to stick with the Carter and cast iron if reasonable, and I am happy with the current power. I have done the ignition fix up , with rotor, cap, wires, coil and plugs, but have not started on the intake. Maybe boil the manifold and rebuild the carb? Maybe a new timing chain set as well. Thanks for your help , and all the accumulated wisdom here. I have currently read up to page 180 of the thread.

Gary

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
gdhillard wrote:
Help! I have a 1973 360 in my 20 foot executive. Milage seems to be about 7-7.5 mpg. Very hard to start, and cold blooded, but better with an electric fuel pump. I am missing some of the exaust crossover connections to the manifold and would guess that needs to be fixed. Should I replumb and clean out the cross over, or just change to an Edelbrock preformer manifold and a 4 bbl edelbrock carb? If I should swap, exactly which manifold and carb should I get? Thank you!

The x over facilitates 'scavenging' from side to side. Helps the low end torque. So yes fix it.

Manifold and carb change. Probably not a good investment. The 2barrel and 2barrel manifold is also set up, with dual plane, for low end torque. The 4barrel manifold probably will not.

In the end, you'd end up with a 'hot rod' engine, when you have and Need a truck engine. Don't get me wrong, you can do the hot rod and make it work. but you'll spend a bunch of money on parts and gasoline to get an appreciable gain.

If you are running at high altitude you may want to go with a larger CFM 2 barrel carb, like the Holley 500... if they are still available, they will give you more air, needed at higher altitudes. Enjoy.

Hard cold start. Clean and lube your automatic choke, and reset it. Also check your accelerator pump (in your carb), for proper 'squirt', it may be dried out and need replacing. I'm guessing you need a 'major' tune up. Plug wires, carb kit, plugs, stator and condenser.
Hoppe