cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Oldtrucker63, mine didn't come out as nice as yours did, but I'll live with it for now. I'm worn out from all the work I put in it, I can't imagine what you did in three days!
I'll post the pics as soon as I figure out how to.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
vaxination wrote:
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Jer&Ger wrote:
I have the carb. rebuilt, but as I took it off the engine, I saw all the leaks the valve covers had & the crude that had built up :E. So I'm in the process of cleaning it up & repainting some of the stuff I take off to clean. The back half of the engine is starting to look a little better :). I debating if I should take the Distributor out and cleaning it up too, it doesn't look to good :(. Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a test drive Monday. I'm so glad to have a digital camera to take lots of pics so I can go back and check where things belong, I'd never remember without it! Have a good weekend to all!
This is what mine came out looking like when I replaced the gaskets and added new exhaust manifolds, Take your time and you can make it look like the engine was took out of the RV and painted up,...Good luck.

Wow shes a beaut, want to paint mine too?! ; )
seriously though how long did that job take you? my engine looks like its been out in the back 40 rusting for years compared to that one!
About 3 days for all of it, Here is the before and after but this before photo was after I cleaned all of the grease off.

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
On mine, it was the vacuum dashpot. Replaced it and voilรก! Problem fixed. Other than that, check and lube all the linkages.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:

Oh, make sure your choke is pulling completely off. If it's not and is staying partially engaged, you'll use more gas.

Yea... I'm having that problem. Not sure how to correct it. There's a ton of linkages involved. Any suggestions? I can't quite seem to figure out the main cause for it not fully closing...

vaxination
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
Jer&Ger wrote:
I have the carb. rebuilt, but as I took it off the engine, I saw all the leaks the valve covers had & the crude that had built up :E. So I'm in the process of cleaning it up & repainting some of the stuff I take off to clean. The back half of the engine is starting to look a little better :). I debating if I should take the Distributor out and cleaning it up too, it doesn't look to good :(. Hopefully I'll be able to take it for a test drive Monday. I'm so glad to have a digital camera to take lots of pics so I can go back and check where things belong, I'd never remember without it! Have a good weekend to all!
This is what mine came out looking like when I replaced the gaskets and added new exhaust manifolds, Take your time and you can make it look like the engine was took out of the RV and painted up,...Good luck.

Wow shes a beaut, want to paint mine too?! ; )
seriously though how long did that job take you? my engine looks like its been out in the back 40 rusting for years compared to that one!
1975 Dodge Sportsman 360 double barrel v8
500 watts of solar, 2k onan gennie
the never ending project ; ]

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:

Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer

dragonmaster194
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the welcome, I need to reseal some of my windows, the tips are most welcome. Guess now I have to go to rv supply house.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
So, Jer, wanna buy my Ford ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jer&Ger wrote:
Hey Griff, I worked in inventory control at the plant where your Explorer was being built back then. I was there for about 6 months. I haven't heard anyone mention them in a long time.

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Griff, I worked in inventory control at the plant where your Explorer was being built back then. I was there for about 6 months. I haven't heard anyone mention them in a long time.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Trish Davis wrote:
hola, dragonmaster.

Make it 3, then. I've got a Travco 210. Or does it have me?

Where's Griff been, by the way?

Here, lurking in between work and research ... and building ... and experimenting ... and restoring parts.

Make it 5 ... no, wait -- 6 ... or maybe 7. (I have several Class A's and people keep giving me more.)

The two main ones are a '73 RM-350 (R4) and a '72 M-375 with a 413. (Need to change my sig block ... the RM-350 is getting a specially built 318-3.)
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Oldtrucker is right. I used Eternabond dbl-sided on my bathroom window.
It does come in 1" strips... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Butyl tape is asking to do it again and again. And again.
Do it once, do it right, be done with it.

I used 3M 4200 on my rr window and large side window.
Clean with pure acetone, go slowly, make certain you can reach the entire window without breaking the 4200 bead.

Do NOT use 3M 5200 caulk because it is forever. Really forever.

vaxination wrote:
whats the best sealant for resealing the side windows on a old school dodge aluminum sided rv? I got silicone only people have said thats not a good solution for weatherproofing rvs, which makes me wonder whats better?

oldtrucker63 wrote:
Most people use Use butyl tape but it will fail over time, I sealed all of my windows with double sided Eternabond tape 2 inch wide and I folded it to make a one inch wide strip, It will be hard to remove the windows but it will seal them forever.

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
hola, dragonmaster.

Make it 3, then. I've got a Travco 210. Or does it have me?

Where's Griff been, by the way?

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

I have a Class A, too - as long as it's Dodge-based, no one will yell ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

dragonmaster194
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, Just found this forum, and am enjoying it. I also own a Class A MH, hope no one holds this against me. 1973 Winnebago Chiefton Dodge M-400(375) Chassis with a 413 engine. What a workhorse. Best part is, it is mine! This way I have the $$$ to add the things I want to make it just the way I want it.I am retired and will be travelling a lot with it. Hoping to see the parts of the US that I have not had the oppertunity to see before.