cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

stevegriffith22
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys got a question for you. I rebuilt the rear wall of my sportsman. I don't really care what the back of it looks like. I went to the recomended RV repair place to purchase siding. They wanted 5.99 a sqare foot. I get that there is a cost for everthing, but I can't swallow that. I have thought about everything from 3 tab to fiber glass! This rig is for fun, its mechanically sound I have done all the work my self. So do you all have anythoughts of what do do with back of the rv. now the framing and ply is up, I have just to insulate and cover it. I was thinking of flat steel roofing? thoughts?

sg

stevegriffith22
Explorer
Explorer
Interior questions are good too.

sg

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

Someone else will come along with tips about the exterior construction; that's not my area of expertise.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

stevegriffith22
Explorer
Explorer
Hey

New to the forum....thanks for all the great info so far. So I picked up a 1976 22ft bunk house dodge sports man. So far I have done the battery, alternator, belts, tranny fluid and filter, rear end fluid, rubber dampner on the back of the tail houseing of the transmission, gas line, gutted down to the wood deck and ceiling, taken everthing out that could hold moisture, I have found a little water damage in one corner. So this is the question. I have found that in the drivers rear that it has seperated and rotted. But it appears to be only the rear wall. So I figure I should just be able to replace the lower ply wood? Ideas? I also just want to start over on the roof. Its not showing leaking or anything, just looks old and nasty. So I was wondering how difficult it is? I imagine I just have to start the process by cutting the rubber mebrane, pull it off, run tar paper, glue, then re do the roof with the sealant while over lapping the tar paper.

We are also looking for suggestions to start the inside? I have a month to do this, but have about six hours a day to work on it. Thoughts? I will post pics when I can. My wife is incharge of the interior, so I'm not worried about that. It appears to run fine, gets ok gas milage like 9-12. Were thinking of rhino linning the floor. This is going to be a surfing and pheasant hunting rig. Ideas, throw them out?

garyandolina
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

How do you post images in your post? Anyone know?

atwrk
Explorer
Explorer
ALnCORY wrote:
atwrk,
My wife thought I was nuts!.. my grandkids on the other hand thought it was the coolest thing ever(they were 6 and 9 at the time I think) so my wife said "well if nothing else its a good playhouse for the grandkids"... but now she loves it, as Leeann says, her own potty, bed etc, etc.... good luck with yours

If I can just get my wife to camping with us just once maybe she would like it! So far my oldest daughter can't wait to go again.
Another tip planned for this Friday!

ALnCORY
Explorer
Explorer
atwrk,
My wife thought I was nuts!.. my grandkids on the other hand thought it was the coolest thing ever(they were 6 and 9 at the time I think) so my wife said "well if nothing else its a good playhouse for the grandkids"... but now she loves it, as Leeann says, her own potty, bed etc, etc.... good luck with yours
I don't think anyones dying statement ever contained the words "I wish I had spent more time in the office", so lets go somewhere!

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
On mine, it was the vacuum dashpot. Replaced it and voilรก! Problem fixed. Other than that, check and lube all the linkages.

On mine it turned out to be two things... one... one of the linkages was rubbing against the carb and then getting stuck, two, the linkage for the choke spring isn't tight enough, and needs to be a little shorter so i actually pulls down on the butterfly when disengaged. That's be a lazy Saturday project one of these days.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

All kids are a bit skeptical. They'll warm to the idea, as will the wife. Your own bed, your own potty, cooking and food storage, heat and AC....it's all good ๐Ÿ˜‰
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
atwrk wrote:
Hello, new user here with a 75 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 19'.

I really don't know much about this thing other than I seen it, and bought it that quick. Wasn't a good idea..........
Did I ok it with my wife, nope......kids like it, nope.....do I know how to use everything.......ya right! LOL
I took it out last weekend for a test run, and so far everything is working that I used. Yet to be tested is the oven, and bathroom (still to cold here to put in water)
Oh well, this should be fun!

Wife's reaction normal, but she might warm up to the idea ...

Kids' reactions also normal but they quickly discover is can be fun ... better than a tent.

If I recall correctly, Trish's or Leean's kids hated it to until they slept in it overnight.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

atwrk
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, new user here with a 75 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 19'.

I really don't know much about this thing other than I seen it, and bought it that quick. Wasn't a good idea..........
Did I ok it with my wife, nope......kids like it, nope.....do I know how to use everything.......ya right! LOL
I took it out last weekend for a test run, and so far everything is working that I used. Yet to be tested is the oven, and bathroom (still to cold here to put in water)
Oh well, this should be fun!

garyandolina
Explorer
Explorer
Me,Her, and the Mutt wrote:
Have a 24' 1977 Travelcraft, class C. She has a 360 c.i.d. V-8, 51,000 miles and is all mine, paid in full. She is a beast, but I would be hard pressed to get ride of her for something different.
I have been turning wrench on these old Dodges for 15 years. Any questions, give a shout. Happy to assist.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
rehoppe wrote:
Here another one with a 360 CI motor..... Just in case anyone still needs one.

Not mine, and I have no interest in it! Just FYI.

Another Dodge to play with.
Makes me wonder what my old dodge is worth, $1200 for this.....WOW

I'm guessing that the 'house', has not been rebuilt. Don't know, as It's not close to where I'm at. (I'm up the hill, at my place on the river.)

I stuck in on here because it didn't look like it had been beat up too bad. In case anybody wanted one. I have no interest in doing a rebuild like you did. I'm engaged in a 'soft' search for a pop up TC for my half ton Dodge,,,, low budget. So that's not one but two, tough criteria to overcome.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
rehoppe wrote:

Makes me wonder what my old dodge is worth, $1200 for this.....WOW
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT