cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

bingbill
Explorer
Explorer
cool. as to the window slide for a screen, it's the long window on the passenger side of the truck. The one over the water tank. if you have one, let me know how much and we can go from there . Again, thanks for all your help!!

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
bingbill wrote:
Thanks for the info. I think it's a 'c' it says it had a 360, but it's been replaced with a 440. says something about a MBH-300. as you can see I don't know a lot about this stuff. it's 10,000 lbs loaded. 23ft long. 6 wheel xpoler 260. I have found a lot of info on other xplorers, but nobody seams to know about the 260. I think it's just the short brother of the 300's. what can I tell you that would say 'a' or 'c'? and again, thanks for your help.

Yes, it's a Class C.

The Dodge Class A chassis are MXXX or RMXXX. The M chassis had all drum brakkes and the RM chassis (sometimes called a R3, R4, or R5 chassis) had disc front brakes.

The original motorhomes (Travcos and their essentially-the-same predecessor) were on P300 delivery truck chassis, with slant six engines. (People had trouble believing their fancy motorhome was on the same chassis as their local dairy/laundry/bread service trucks so Dodge came up with the M300 designation ever though the M300 chassis was identical to the P300 chassis.)

The Dodge BXXX trucks were/are the vans. The Class C chassis is MB300, with the M standing for motorhome. (To the best of my knowledge, all Class C's are 1-ton MB300 chassis.) As in your case, you will sometimes find additional letters thrown in there (Mother Mopar got weird at times) but the 300 and the MB are the important parts.

Because the MB300 is a cut-away version of the B300, most of the non-coach parts are the same ... which is why I tell people to tell the counter folks to look for B300 parts.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

bingbill
Explorer
Explorer
just looked up the deference between an 'a' and a 'c'. I think mine is a 'c'. it's on a 1 ton chassis has a truck type driving cab. i read that 'a's are more like a bus.

bingbill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I think it's a 'c' it says it had a 360, but it's been replaced with a 440. says something about a MBH-300. as you can see I don't know a lot about this stuff. it's 10,000 lbs loaded. 23ft long. 6 wheel xpoler 260. I have found a lot of info on other xplorers, but nobody seams to know about the 260. I think it's just the short brother of the 300's. what can I tell you that would say 'a' or 'c'? and again, thanks for your help.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
bingbill wrote:
Hi! my fuel gauge just seams to go anywhere it wants to. would that be the limiter? oh, mine is a 76 xplorer 260 I need a side window slide so I can put a screen in it. The front corners are curved. I also need a heater control panel. not sure what the last guy was doing, but it's gone. I do have a few tech sheets from the 70's if there is any thing i can help with, more than happy to see if I can find any info.

Yes, a faulty instrument regulator could cause that, especially if it's malfunctioning intermittently.

All older electric gauges, except ammeters, are essentially voltage meters. The sensors, in turn, are variable resistors, varying the voltage going to the meter based on changes in oil pressure, water temperature, or float position in the fuel tank. Faulty voltage regulators, corroded connections, longer or shorter wires, and bad grounds will all contribute to erroneous readings.

As for windows, do you have a Class C or a Class A? As long as you're not looking for a Class A driver's or passenger's window, I might be able to help you out ... I have quite a few salvaged from other motorhomes. Rectangular windows are fairly easy to find but the parallelogram (raked) windows are becoming hard to find. (I'm hanging on to the front side windows for projects in progress or on the drawing board.)

Heater control panels depend upon whether you have a Class A or Class C. (To the best of my knowledge, Xplorers were all Class A's.) If Class C, ask the parts person for the heater control for a '76 Dodge B300. (If they're clueless, I will be able to look up third party part numbers for you.)

If you have a Class A, the heater controls becomes very problematic. To the best of my knowledge, all Class A's used third party heater systems and it can be very difficult to track down who made the heater and where to get parts ... assuming they're still in business and/or anyone's even heard of them. Parts stores specializing in medium- and heavy-duty trucks may be able to help you.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Awesome!
Thanks for that.
Typically anytime I go for parts they look at me like I'm from outer space. If I try them on the regulator and let you know.
Thanks a bunch.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
gbm97 wrote:
Hi Griff In Fairbanks...& thanks!

The stock Fuel gauge is connected to a voltage limiter, turning 12v into 5v to make it work.

The voltage limiter is burnt out so need to bypass that.
So now how do I approach that problem with using a new aftermarket gauge Sorry, just not sure.

Interesting what your doing installing modern with old school!!
Thanks

Aftermarket gauges each have their own voltage regulator (limiter) ... wire them directly to 12v.

Or, replace the OEM instrument voltage regulator. If your parts person gives you a perplexed look, tell them to look it up for a '78 Dodge B300. If they're still hopeless, let me know and I'll look up the part number through my weblink parts finder.

bingbill
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! my fuel gauge just seams to go anywhere it wants to. would that be the limiter? oh, mine is a 76 xplorer 260 I need a side window slide so I can put a screen in it. The front corners are curved. I also need a heater control panel. not sure what the last guy was doing, but it's gone. I do have a few tech sheets from the 70's if there is any thing i can help with, more than happy to see if I can find any info.

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi Griff In Fairbanks...& thanks!

The stock Fuel gauge is connected to a voltage limiter, turning 12v into 5v to make it work.

The voltage limiter is burnt out so need to bypass that.
So now how do I approach that problem with using a new aftermarket gauge Sorry, just not sure.

Interesting what your doing installing modern with old school!!
Thanks

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
gbm97 wrote:
Have 1978 Dodge Sportsman Otto MH. Speedo & gauges not working, damaged circuit board broken power plug pins.
Unfixable near impossible to find replacement cluster.

Wondering if anyone here has hooked up aftermarket gauges.
Concerned mainly about aftermarket temp gauge. Are all aftermarket gauges compatible with my 78 or does voltage needs need to match?

Thanks
Gary

Replace the OEM sensor with the aftermarket sensor that corresponds to the aftermarket gauge.

I'm replacing all my gauges with Autometer gauges and using the corresponding Autometer sensors. (Except the oil pressure sensor but did the research to make sure the Autometer gauge was reasonably compatible with the OEM sensor.) That's especially true for the fuel gauge as the spec's vary wildly between various OEM and aftermarket gauges.

Of course, I'm immediately voiding the Autometer warranty by cutting the guts (movement) out of the casing, making new faceplates, and mounting them inside a '69 Dodge truck cluster. (Modern gauges combined with old skool look.)

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have 1978 Dodge Sportsman Otto MH. Speedo & gauges not working, damaged circuit board broken power plug pins.
Unfixable near impossible to find replacement cluster.

Wondering if anyone here has hooked up aftermarket gauges.
Concerned mainly about aftermarket temp gauge. Are all aftermarket temperature gauges compatible with my 78 or does voltage needs need to match?

Thanks
Gary

bingbill
Explorer
Explorer
Hey. I'm Bill I have a 76 xploer 260. can't find any info on it. good to see others have them!! pics at my page.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, Rudy! Living in AZ, I hope your AC works...

๐Ÿ™‚
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

RFV
Explorer
Explorer
I recently picked up a 1973 Dodge B300 Sportsman in decent shape but it will need some work. Hopefully I'll be using it sometime this summer. Living in AZ there are so many places to camp my boys and I will have a blast with the new/old toy.

I look forward to asking you all for your opinions, guidance, and help as I make it my own.

Good to meet you all!

Rudy

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Heheheheโ€ฆ.my bf calls me the mechanic (his dad owned a shop when he was growing up and he's an HVAC master) ๐Ÿ˜›
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo