cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
gbm97 wrote:
Your welcome...and actually its a 1978. Just checked the ownership papers.

If you need parts,,, you might want to check on the data plate/serial#, to make sure of the chassis year. They are sometimes earlier than the titling year. Titling is done by the manufacturer of the 'box', when they get 'A round tuit'. So to speak.:B
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
pehbunny wrote:
I'm a hippy living in a '77 Dodge Class C motorhome, and I have a lot of questions regarding my RV, so I hope you guys have a lot of patience, I'm not very mechanically inclined.

The problems I have are the following: I don't know how to get my furnace and hot-water heater going, also don't know how to hook up/test my generator, fridge is not working, and I have some structural problems as well.

I decided to buy this and live in it because I couldn't find a place to rent in my income bracket that wasn't in the ghetto, so I am currently parked and plugged in at a friend's house in Nashville.

also, does my model use fuel filters, cuz I had to get my carb rebuilt recently and I don't wanna have to pay for that again,

Yes to fuel filters.

Search this thread on how to operate and troubleshoot both the furnace and hot water heater. Keep searching this thread on your fridge's problems as well as the generator.

pehbunny
Explorer
Explorer
denisondc wrote:
My 72 winny is a class A on the M400 chassis. Another durable chassis for sure! All of the travcos I have seen I believe were on the M300, M400, or M500 chassis. There are many winnies from the early 70s around on the M300 chassis. I dont know how many parts the B300 and M300 chassis had in common though. My impression is the class C RVs from the early 70s were fairly scarce.
I bought mine for $2500 in 91, and wouldn't trade it for any newer RV. It like its simplicity. Good luck.

I'm a hippy living in a '77 Dodge Class C motorhome, and I have a lot of questions regarding my RV, so I hope you guys have a lot of patience, I'm not very mechanically inclined - I'm a musician, I've actually recorded a few songs in my RV, and it's about my RV, here's the YouTube vid, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7pEFGgWGAc email me at bigjimshively@gmail.com if you wanna buy a CD or respond to any of the following questions (I check my email more frequently)

The problems I have are the following: I don't know how to get my furnace and hot-water heater going, also don't know how to hook up/test my generator, fridge is not working, and I have some structural problems as well.

I decided to buy this and live in it because I couldn't find a place to rent in my income bracket that wasn't in the ghetto, so I am currently parked and plugged in at a friend's house in Nashville.

also, does my model use fuel filters, cuz I had to get my carb rebuilt recently and I don't wanna have to pay for that again,

Thanks and sorry for all the dumb questions! Hope you dig my song!
- always looking for advice/tips on rv living, ways to save money, and I need to learn more about my '77 Dodge Sportsman - message me about buying my CD about living in my motorhome, I play all instruments, listen at www.boilingplain.bandcamp.com

hoover4466
Explorer
Explorer
hi all, i wanted to give some info on front end thumps and bumps, sqweeks and squawks...

the early chassis (round headlites) had different steering rods than later (square lites) the early has two idler arms in the steering, and those can jump up and down on the bolt a lil bit.(rubber inside)(seems to be more common on passenger side) the track arm bushings get pounded down (rubber)and move a small bit. the upper arm bushings can get sloppy (rubber inside) and then the springs can move slightly. its as much from sitting and age, as from driving.
isnt an issue, just annoying, until/unless, the tires start wearing off side of tread. some silicone spray on these rubber parts helps for a while. the alignment is often a bit off, but as long as it goes down the road straight, isnt a big deal.
the later ones had a different tie-rod setup, eventually one of the rod ends gets worn, the one nearest steering box.
both/all yrs work hard on steering boxes, to keep in lane and down road straight in wind and such, its a light truck steering gear, and they get beat down in the straight ahead position. the last little thing, the early subframe gets metal fatigue around where the steering gear bolts on, starts as a crack, that keeps spreading, just needs clamped back into position, and welded with a (best) wire-feed welder, as the channel and brakets there are same as wagon, cargo-van what have ya. -most of these parts can be found at salvage yard- (somewhat thinish and undersize for heavy camper bodied use) and hey, if ya drive one long enough to actually wear-out or break something, then you are a true road warrior !! all hail!!
part-timer. '85 mallard shorty C

hoover4466
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 1973 robinhood 22ft, 360/2bbl/727trans.. i forget which one was the arrow, there was a 20ft and a 22ft. well done for the era, rounded windows and such. the coachwork was as good or better than any. (except for the big $$ coaches) the inside needs redone -really bad- the roof has leaked too many times over the years. ive had this rig a few years, work on it when i get ambitious. very low miles, running gear, generator, appliances, all there and taken care of, and/\or survived well. neat rig in any case.. in the interim, i found and of course had to buy the 1985 20ft mallard, its like a step back in time, and ive been using it for trips. so,,, what to do with the first one?? not sure yet.. in each one, i have more money into than what anyone around here would pay, or likely consider.. but, i like them, keeps on doing and going everywhere i need and want, and havent seen anything i really would like any better, so i keep em up, and keep puttin along. whatever gets ya out and about is fine to me.. peace all.
part-timer. '85 mallard shorty C

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your welcome...and actually its a 1978. Just checked the ownership papers.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Round Headlights is the older Cab Version. I have found in '79 the Cabs could have either round headlights or square headlights, the square headlights are the newer cab version. So... my rig with the square headlights and the 'non clunking' front end would not be a good basis for comparison.

I like the screwdriver idea, I don't think I have one small enough to get in there. But I will definitely check it out. also makes me wonder if a coat hanger might work. Not knowing how the mechanism works though makes it a shot in the dark. We'll see... thanks for the obvious. (That I DIDN'T think of.)

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
No need to apologize...your here aren't ya.
I do avoid turning to the full lock.
My rig has the round headlights. Can be seen at my profile page.
Cant help you on your broken vent rod problem.
Possibly stick a long screwdriver in the vent if you can reach the open/close flap you may be able the push it shut/open. I love these old school ways.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
My apologies all... I just realized I was called upon a little while back and completely absent. I have not kept up on the thread as I should and beg forgiveness. Work, racing, and my two bands have sucked up pretty much all of my time lately.

Trish, I would say get a dolly, and don't ever back up with the car attached.

gbm97... don't turn to full lock. ๐Ÿ™‚ Mine does not do this, but the power steering likes squealing at me, but again, only at full lock. I avoid it. That extra little turn of the wheels doesn't do much for the actual radius. However, since mine does not do this, it might be worth looking at. Question, does your rig have round headlights, or square headlights?

While I'm catching up, I have a fun one perhaps someone can shed light on. On the passenger side there is a vent under the dash, with a pull lever to open/close. Well... the rod rusted out. My 12 year old opened it, but now can't pull it back closed and I really have no idea what to take apart to get to it... Not sure if I have to repair it so much as just get it closed, but having it working would be nice too.

Apart from that... camping every weekend, just getting ready to put it away again for the winter months. (If only I had a heated basement)

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
So would this be normal? Is there a fix or is one needed?
Is this what they refer to as the "Dodge Clunk" ??

Glenndolph
Explorer
Explorer
The strut rods are being forced out of their comfort spot... Mind does the same thing...

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 1979 Dodge Sportsman MH makes a loud clunking sound from the front end when turning the wheels sharp,,,full turn.
Any idea what may cause this??

Not sure of the model and all...how do I find this info??

Thanks
Gary

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Jer&Ger wrote:
Trish, how about this one?

I wonder which Detroit, it is using? Hmm

It does look nice.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we are leaving for the trip to Fort Worth, TX. Monday with our new toy. Wish us luck, Please! I hope I didn't miss anything. Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Trish_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Now, that's a nifty trailer.

Not only way above my pay grade, but half as long again as my old 210.
Could probably push the Travco down the road; definitely down a hill.

I got Petey's hubcaps, one's dome was bent (not on the lettering!) and we beat it back to round with a rubber mallet. And my grandmother's huge wooden salad bowl, circa 1947, made from a CA redwood.
Don't yell at me, I didn't do it... I just kept it.