cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy - American Clippers are mighty nice rigs. Well-built, well-equipped.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Lots of photos,......Good luck with her.
Without Trucks,....America Stop's

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Of course we all want all the pictures you can get posted here.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Smart_Alec
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everybody.

I posted a topic about two years ago entitled "Someone's Giving Me a Motorhome". Some of you may remember it. It was a Vogue II and things just didn't work out. Long story short, there was a lot of water damage and the engine air cleaner was full of acorns.

Now it looks like I'm going to be getting a motorhome after all. She's a 1979 American Clipper with a Dodge 360-3, and she runs! The body is a big fiberglass shell instead of framing and aluminum, and the seller said everything works on her as far as he knows. But she's been sitting unused a lot for several years, so who knows?

Anyway, I just wanted to drop in and say howdy. I'll post more when I know more.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced mine with a refurb Progressive Dynamics with a charge wizard (smart charger). I got a 45 amp, but there are 60 amp models available.

Th e smart charger keeps the charger portion from overcharging and boiling batteries.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

new_v_er
Explorer
Explorer
I guess they don't make things like they used to :W The OEM (1976) power converter died. Anything to consider when replacing the old 30 amp unit? Thanks Bill
Regarding your LOT in Life: Build something on it ... or park your Dodge on it.;)
Bill & Laurie
1976 Dodge Sportsman Midas Mini 226

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
oldtrucker63 wrote:
goreds2 wrote:
Here is an interesting one and a good price on craiglist. It has been sitting awhile though.

Click here...
Yelp This one needs a complete rebuild, I would say when you open the wall's there is rot everywhere.

AGREED
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
goreds2 wrote:
Here is an interesting one and a good price on craiglist. It has been sitting awhile though.

Click here...
Yelp This one needs a complete rebuild, I would say when you open the wall's there is rot everywhere.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer

Click here...
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
Chilton's and Clymer's are two others that are/were available then...'70s'

I liked Chilton and Motor Manuals best IIRC.
Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
swatmo wrote:
Thanks rehoppe, sorry I forgot to post miles....

the mileage currently reads 49,000 ish... that being said... this thing is in

really crappy condition for something that only has 48k high dessert miles on it. So i don't know I will try a used book store, so you would recommend against purchasing that book I linked before.

I will try the spark tests soon. I will let you know... I am waiting to get all the bits together before i do anything... all the fuel carb stuff seemed best if i did it all at the same time so... I will let you know.

Sorry I didn't even go look at the book. Buy new only if you have to.

I look for used books, that have notes in the margins. The USE tells a nother story.

Oh yes, and I'm a Cheap SOB as well!:B

At 50K You are probably ok mechanically. Just make sure that you change ALL fluids and filters ASAP. It sounds like it was neglected, beyond just being left sitting. OIL and Filters are way cheaper than 'Hard Parts'.

Went and looked at the Manual. I've never seen one, but it's probably good, although way over priced for a CD. ... I'd go look for a Haynes, Motor, or similar as well.

If you've gat a spare $40, buy it.

My Dodge book is an old Haynes " Dodge PUs Full Size 1974-1986 2wd and 4wd.. Not specific to the Chassis only but very useful. I'd like to have what;s on that CD in real Book form, you bet. Cause it's only for the MH Chassis.
Hoppe

440BoltMainiac
Explorer
Explorer
Learning fast about my 1978 440 Tioga.
Fixin up real detroit metal makes me happy and proud...
When my F44 Tioga was built America was boomin and we had our BOOT
On the worlds neck, a dollar was really a dollar, and a toyota corolla or datsun b210
Were the "smart cars". Ha ha not me pal...
Anyway many questions I have just wanted to say hello to all out there and look forward to the
Information and experience with commorodity... 440BM
1978 dodge sportsman tioga
440/ 727 that reignites lost Big Block Memories right now.
1983 Scottsdale K10, swb,detroit 6.2, NP 4spd o/d
Tilt, pdl, pw, two tone, 6000lb,cc,hydroboost, aka TUGNPUL
7 mo. Brindle APBT named RUMBLE

oldtrucker63
Explorer
Explorer
swatmo wrote:
Thanks once again rehoppe and trish, and you also oldtrucker63.

I will definitely put a site together once I begin the building of the carriage ! thanks for the idea oldtrucker63.

Hey guys, is this the book I need ? is it even possible to say after the engine has been rebuilt/replaced like this ? if stuff has changed substantially do you think this book would be helpful ?

http://www.autobooksbishko.com/Items/1976-1977%20Dodgetruck%20Shop%20Manual/13988.html
Just by looking at the photos you posted the Engine looks Factory to me, I don't think anyone has messed with it.

swatmo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rehoppe, sorry I forgot to post miles....

the mileage currently reads 49,000 ish... that being said... this thing is in

really crappy condition for something that only has 48k high dessert miles on it. So i don't know I will try a used book store, so you would recommend against purchasing that book I linked before.

I will try the spark tests soon. I will let you know... I am waiting to get all the bits together before i do anything... all the fuel carb stuff seemed best if i did it all at the same time so... I will let you know.

rehoppe
Explorer
Explorer
One quick check when you have it ready for the engine to run a bit. Fire it up at night when it's dark, open the hood, and watch for 'fire flies'.

If your plug wires are bad they will arc to the nearest 'grounded' metal, showing sparks in the dark.

In the same scenario, pull the plug wires one at a time with it running, (with insulated grippers!), is the spark bright blue, or weak and yellowish? Weak indicates problems with coil or (stator? I don't think you have points). Somebody jump in if I'm wrong!

Weak spark to the plugs or bad plugs, is power loose and unburned fuel. A longer more PITA is to pull the plugs one at a time, fire it up and see how the spark as well.

Also if/when you take the distributor cap off (LEAVE THE WIRES IN PLACE ON IT), look for cracks inside and 'arc marks'. They are signs of 'misfiring', if present. Replace the cap.making sure the wires go on the new one the same way as they were on the old one. (very important)...If you Screw if up, that's a Whole NOTHER 'can o worms".

You have a used book store in town? Go there and find an aftermarket manual for PU and Van of your year. They are printed in Ranges of years. And they will tell you more explicitly than I,,, and with pics.
Hoppe