cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How nimble is a 35' Class A motorhome?

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. This may be my third post seeking advice on my next RV. Different thought/question for today. As previously mentioned we have a 40' fifth wheel toy hauler and a dually crew cab. This setup has proven to be a bit of a challenge in the wooded campgrounds of Oregon. I have been exploring different Class A and C motorhomes. Ideally, I would like to have a motorhome that was "nimble" enough so that I would not need a toad. A 35' motorhome actually "seems" pretty small to me given my current setup.

Our current rig is very long. While driving on a trip we may make some small excursions into towns for shopping, grab groceries or other attractions. I have become "competent" at pulling this behemoth through, for example, crowded Walmart parking lots, downtown Vancouver BC, downtown Portland, etc. It is convenient once we setup camp to have the pickup to run around in.

Previously, I owned a Class C and towed a Jeep. This worked out ok, but here is my thought that I am looking to get feedback on. Is it practical to think that I could have an (approx) 35' motorhome without a toad and:
1) Once setup in a campsite is it practical to think that if I wanted to take the family on a drive (to the beach, store, whatever) to just lift the leveling jacks, fold up the lawn chairs, bring the slides in and drive off on an errand? Or does that become a huge pain?
2) Drive a Class A around the town and tourist attractions? Or does parking become a huge pain?

I know that I can rent a car if parked for long stretched. Anyway, I appreciate any feedback from those that go everywhere with their Class A and no toad.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
51 REPLIES 51

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the feedback but not very encouraging. Is there some commonly recognized length of RV where it becomes small enough that you do not need a toad? Or does it boil down to having to break camp to run around town is just a pain?
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

ryanallie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All.

Think of this. I lived in Central Oregon for over 18 years. We also have a 33.5 ft Motorhome. Being a out doorsman, I know those woods like the back of my hands. I also was a Hunter for thos 18 years also.
We have taked our Motorhome of rod many a time for some of the greatest "Boon-Docking" of your live.

We live in La Pine, Oregon. for 18 years. So remember this, there are thousands and thousands of old Logging roads in the woods of Central Oregon. Some are in great shape and some I wouldn't do in a fixed up High Rise 4X4. It is so easy to get lost out there, if you don't know the area.

And don't even mention the chance of going for miles down a dead end road, and not even knowing it, and with no place to turn a big Motorhome around.

And yes, we take our Toad with us. Great for scouting out head of the Motorhome, and also keeping yourself out of trouble. And another thing, you always bring a good Chain Saw with you in the woods. As you never know what might have been blown over last winter blocking a road.? Espically nice if youcan't go forward or backwords either ?

But we have been doing deep Boon-Docking for the past 46+ years now. And I do all of my own work on everything I own.

Now, don't let me scare you. you some common sense, and be careful and you'll do just fine.

Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill & Two Small "Yorkie Kids" who love to go out as much as we do.
1998-34 ft Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
You and your significant other will not be happy campers without a toad. You will not be happy after about the third time you have to undo everything and the missus won't be happy living with a grouch...I did that with our 27' Chieftain but never again.the letters PITA come to mind...just sayin....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
I must agree with the others, I would not consider a 35' MOHO "nimble" under any circumstances. Sure you can handle it and may occasionally find yourself in a tight spot, but not something that I would routinely want to do. Although the setup/breakdown is easier than a TT or 5er, it's still not as simple as push a button and go.

I always felt that one significant advantage of the MOHO over the other types of RV's is the ability to tow your daily driver. Good luck in whichever way you decide.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 31' and I wouldn't take it sightseeing, shopping or anyplace other than a campsite or a gas station.... I have my JK for those tasks :W

Just sayin :E
2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you really want to do either 1 or 2? Unhook water, sewer, elec, move/store all your outside stuff, make sure everything inside is secure, then go to the store just to redo? Seems like a lot of work just to fetch a quart of milk..

Navigating a 35' mh is not much of a problem, but it may limit where you can park to go see an attraction.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
Our first motorhome was a 36" gasser, and our first trip was from Chicago to do the oregon coast. 5 weeks, almost 6000 miles. No Toad.

No, you do not "uncamp" a beast of this size because you ran out of milk, or want to take the family out for ice cream.

I was VERY careful that if I needed to sightsee or shop, it was done while "enroute" before setting up a campsite. On that trip, our longest stay anywhere was 3 night, most were 2, many just 1. This made it do-able, but just.

The following year I bought a toad (wrangler TJ) and the year after traded for a 40' DP.

Even if I'm just going down the road for fuel or propane, the DP never rolls without the jeep attached.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog