cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to carry a canoe on a RT 190V?

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone carry a canoe on their Roadtrek? If so, what equipment are you using?
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK
7 REPLIES 7

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again folks for all of the good suggestions!

Now I just have to figure out which way to go!
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
We do like taking a canoe (and a motorcycle) with us when we travel in our PW Lexor. To accomplish that, I pull an enclosed trailer with a motorcycle inside and I installed a "LoadIt" contraption on the roof of the trailer, ran 12V from the PW to power it, and we put our canoe "up" (or take it down) with the push of a button.

You can see a "LoadIt" here.

Given that neither my wife nor I are youngsters, the "LoadIt" sure makes it easy.

Separately, given that we do pull the enclosed trailer, I also put a Honda 2HP outboard inside the trailer and mount it on the stern of the canoe when we go paddlin' just in case something happens and we need a little help to get home. Nothing more than peace of mind.

Cheers.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yakima or Thule makes a ratcheting boat lift/rack called a "Hullivator" that can put a boat up on a tall vehicle - but I'm not sure if that would work with all the "stuff" that tends to be on the roof of an RV.

In the past, I owned a Sea Eagle "FastTrak 385" which is a really tough inflatable with relatively low sides and a skeg. It's rated to Class III whitewater, and be paddled solo or tandem; I paddled mine mostly on inland lakes. It's pokier than a hard sided boat; but tracked well. Packs up to the size of a large duffel bag.

If I wanted to bring one of my boats along on my travels, I would probably opt for a trailer that would also carry bikes and maybe offer storage for other things. Maybe a small enclosed trailer with a boat rack on top?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Seaeagle.com. Very durable, light, stable and paddle very well.

Love ours: https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice.... I appreciate the input.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Like Lizzie, no good options for carrying a hard shell canoe/kayak. Even though figured I could add a rack to the roof of our 190P, my concern was wind load on the top of the rig (one disadvantage of those real windows in the top...), not to mention the difficulties associated with getting the boat up onto or off of the roof. Our solution was certainly a compromise - we used an inflatable canoe (Sevylor) that traveled in a bag on a hitch-haul rack on the back for some 40k (!) miles. Not the performance of our hard shells, but certainly functional. Ruled out towing a trailer with the RT, but was considered. Currently use the Suby toad behind our B+ as our canoe/kayak trailer - makes it nice to get to put-in spots, etc. ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately we were never able to solve this problem and with deep regret gave up our RT 190V. lizzie