cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to carry a tricycle?

DAS26miles
Explorer II
Explorer II
The DW never learned to ride a bike. I want to get her a tricycle as she wants to join our rides with family and friends on our trips. My Class C has a hitch and ladder, any suggestions for carriers? I want to bring my mountain bike and sometimes my daughter's bike too.
10 REPLIES 10

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at My bike rack
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Too funny, your situation is exactly the same as mine, right down to your MH size and the wife never learning to ride a bike.

As for a rack, Hollywood( I believe is the company) sells a rack that clamps around the spare. I have that, and it works very well for hauling bikes. As for the trike, I have not done it yet but I believe a platform carrier for the rear hitch would work. May have to spend a bit to get one long enough though.

As for getting the wife, a trike, like workman, folding trike or the trek plush I would advise against it. We started with a used Trek plus. The negatives were, pretty darn unstable, high center of gravity, hard to turn, very loosy goosy on any slanted or uneven pavement. She was not a fan.

Bought a Terra Rambler tadpole trike about a year ago. Have put many miles on it. Very stable, very fun to ride, light weight( about 40lbs). Stops well, disc brakes, 8 speed internal hub, fenders mirror, bag etc. Highly recommend a Tadpole trike for your wife.

They are not cheap. but for the enjoyment we have gotten out of it, and the physical exercise, I consider it money very well spent.

Will never forget the grin on my wife's face first time she rode one, went from skeptic to believer and I want this in about 15 seconds. My 2 cents for what it is worth

As an after thought they do make folding tadpoles. that also could be an option. But again not cheap.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are folding tricycles
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a trike and I run our Boxer along side. He's fast and I keep up.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes take my homemade recumbent tadpole trike with me. I have a platform on the rear. With a Class C, I would try to find someone local that could fabricate a tray or platform that would have plenty of ground clearance and some adjustable bracing on the side to prevent any rocking side to side.

I agree with having her try different trikes first. My recumbent is actually harder to pedal in hilly terrain than a regular bike. I think some of the upright trikes have 3 speed axles which would help but keep it simple
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just put one of those folding platforms in the hitch, and carry it there. Sold at WalMart, or any trailer supply.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
Have her try out the tricycle before you go through all the motions. The dynamics are quite a bit different than a bicycle. The turning radius, and the comfortable speed on less than nicely paved areas might prevent her from keeping up with the group under some conditions.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a question, if I may. Has your DW tried the tricycle? The reason I ask is years ago, growing up, a neighbor was in the same situation and bought a tricycle so she could exercise. However, she was never able to get any real speed out of it. In fact, most times people could walk faster than she could pedal. Granted, I think a good part of this was due to her lack of physical condition. But I don't think the tricycles are built for any great speed and your DW might have difficulty keeping up with those on bicycles.

I could be wrong, but if she hasn't tried one yet, I'd have her do that before buying. A good bike shop will let you try before you buy.

Just out of curiosity, is there some reason she can't learn how to ride a bicycle now? A bicycle with training wheels would be much better than the trike.

Good Luck, I hope you can find a solution which works for her.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Put a trailer hitch on the front for a bike carrier on the front and a shelf type carrier on the back trailer hitch.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
A small trailer?