cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to secure exterior plastic trim separating from wall?

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Winnebago Vista LX. There is a plastic trim piece that runs front to back of the RV on the exterior. A section of it has separated from the wall. I can see it was held by double sided sticky tape on the inside. I have tried gluing it back and also tried 3M double sided tape but nothing has held. I think the expansion in the heat makes it difficult.

My next idea was to put one or two screws into the plastic trim and attach it directly into the wall but I'm hesitant to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you LadyRVer I will check to see.

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRV is right on had same problem with my Itasca. CW fixed no charged.

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yours may not be the same, but is it the frame which holds the plastic molding which has come loose? If so, behind that plastic insert are screws, front to back. Maybe a few need to be tightened or a slightly larger screw? With a little silicone into the hole first? I redid both sides of one of mine, put 84 stainless steel screws each side, siliconed each hole first and then put in new trim. Just a thought.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
You're getting close.
3M weatherstrip adhesive. Comes in yellow or black and can be found in most auto parts store. Thoroughly clean both surfaces and follow the directions on the tube. Use masking tape to hold the molding in place while it dries, if necessary.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

bzboy
Explorer
Explorer
It is probably covered under warranty but I figured this could be something I could do myself and save on the time my RV is at the dealer.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the warranty issue stated above. But if you don't want to hassle with it, I have found original Liquid Nails is absolutely great for holding just about everything.

In an older truck I had, the plastic turn signal holder fell out completely. The plastic snaps were broken off. I didn't have the resources at that time for a replacement, so got a tube of the original Liquid Nails. I pumped that stuff all around the plastic holder and the metal of the grill. I made sure I got none on the part where the light bulb fit through the hole on the back side. That Liquid Nails held that plastic turn signal element there for the next 9 years when the truck finally died and was hauled away to the junk yard.

Since then, I've used original liquid nails on virtually everything, bonding metal to plastic to wood to concrete ... especially trim pieces.

But beware! Once it dries, you will NEVER be able to remove the trim again!

Do not use the specialty Liquid Nails for styrofoam or Liquid Nails for Projects. You want the original.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
2017? I'd take it back to the dealer, before I started drilling holes. Got to be under warranty.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
bzboy wrote:
2017 Winnebago Vista LX. There is a plastic trim piece that runs front to back of the RV on the exterior. A section of it has separated from the wall. I can see it was held by double sided sticky tape on the inside. I have tried gluing it back and also tried 3M double sided tape but nothing has held. I think the expansion in the heat makes it difficult.

My next idea was to put one or two screws into the plastic trim and attach it directly into the wall but I'm hesitant to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you.

3M makes a contact cement for that - need to get it CLEAN then re-glue - clean means CLEAN - or it will not stick. Just go to a good NAPA or auto supply store they should have it.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach