cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How/Where do you transport/store propane?

wplate
Explorer
Explorer
Last year was our first summer in our Sunseeker motorhome. We used the grill that came with the coach, it runs off the RV's low pressure propane system, and grew to NOT like it.

This summer we are planning to use a Coleman Roadtrip LXE that wants a standard propane tank. I have seen discussion of changing the gas lines on the grill to make it work with the RV, but have decided it will be easier in the long run to keep the grill as-is and use separate RV than the coach.

This makes me wonder about how people transport their propane tanks. Is it safe to store in the general storage bays with other stuff? I have a vision of them being stored on something attached to the back bumper, but my reading suggests that's a safety no-no.

Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7

Extremist
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
You can also get an adapter tee off your main tank and run a high pressure hose to your grill. That way you don't have to mess with the little cylinders.

This is my setup and it works great. Not only can you run your grill off it but also can run your RV furnace/stove/water heater off an external tank in a pinch in case you run out and can't break camp for whatever reason.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I used a 10# lite fiberglass tank. Unfortunately these were recalled last year because of unsafe practices at the plant and an "incident" with one of their tanks. Now you can buy a 10# aluminum tank from Amazon for $149. Kind of pricey. Not recommended to carry inside the RV. We have carried ours under the bathroom sink though. If you are weight conscious and have a smaller RV, the smaller lighter tank is nice.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the little cylinders. I store them in an outside compartment with the little grill.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
You can also get an adapter tee off your main tank and run a high pressure hose to your grill. That way you don't have to mess with the little cylinders.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 11 pound propane tank for my grill. I store it in my pass thru compartment. I made a holder for it so it can't move around.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
danager wrote:
Both my lantern and portable stove/grill use them. I keep a few of those 1# bottles in my TT pass through storage compartment. I keep them in a Rubbermaid roughneck tote along with the lantern and a few other items that keep from rattling around.

x2

danager
Explorer
Explorer
Both my lantern and portable stove/grill use them. I keep a few of those 1# bottles in my TT pass through storage compartment. I keep them in a Rubbermaid roughneck tote along with the lantern and a few other items that keep from rattling around.