cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 10 in Louisiana

Ole_B
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone traveled on I-10 in Louisiana in the past year. I am thinking of taking it to travel east from AZ? I haven't been on it in the last 6 years. Is it still very rough, or should I find a different way east. Thanks
35 REPLIES 35

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
It is MUCH better than it used to be. We just went both ways, east in Jan, and westbound in Feb. Eastbound is pretty good. No big deal. Westbound however has some sections that are rough.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol have it right except I'd give it a 2. Fom I 49-I12-MS its as rough as 100 acres of plowed up corn, stubble and all. For years I hauled mail from Harrisburg Pa to N.O.-Baton Rouge-Lake Charles-San Antonio and it would beat you up with airide truck and trailer. Hasn't improved. MS repaved a lot of theirs. Stay off it till after FAT Tuesday anyway as traffic will be horrid.

Artguys I came accross there the 8th of Feb 2014----that is not exactly a long time ago and I was driving a 45ft Monaco Dynasty which rides pretty smooth, usually. It about humped my brains out it was so rough.....but what do I know?

Ole_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just what I was looking for. I know you get both sides on the forum.

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
The last section of Louisanas planed I-10/I-12 rebuild(Exit 34 to exit 43 Iowa) was completed in 2009. There remains some sections, most notably both sides of Breaux Bridge, from just east of Lafayette to exit 115 Henderson and the Basin Bridge. When you consider just how bad it was for years it's now in great shape.

As for those telling of how bad it is, I'm certain it's been some time since they've traveled it.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Ole B wrote:
Thanks for all the information from everyone. Have a great RVing year.

But did it help? :B

Lots of varying reports. Guess it depends a lot on your particular rig.

Have a great trip!

I wasn't touring when I went through there a couple of weeks ago---I was going from LA to Orlando by the quickest route----That means I-10......

Ole_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information from everyone. Have a great RVing year.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I travel I-10, 12, 20, 49 and 55 quite a bit on business every year in both my MH and pickup. I-10 has been improved quite a bit over the last few years and other than the Whiskey Bay approach and bridge I don't find it bad at all. Unless you want to see New Orleans definitly take I-12 from Baton Rouge to Slidell.

I-20 and 1-55 around Jackson,Ms. in my mind will provide you with a real bumpy rollercoaster ride for miles.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
I think the stretch from Lake Charles to Lafayett is horrible, I do know that sections of it have been black topped, all I remember is "kathump " kathump" kathump" drives me crazy. Like Dennis said Head south of New Orleans and take HWY 90 the coastal route, If you have time. That road was wiped out from Katrina and has been redone. We went that way a couple of years ago really enjoyed it.Has the Construction through Baton Rouge been completed ha! .

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
LynnandCarol wrote:
We hate the LA-I10! Out of 1 to 10, would give it a 5. We travel allot of interstates and that part has got to be our least fave.

It's 65 miles longer, but IMHO a more pleasant drive and better road: at the I10 - I20 split in west Texas, take I20 to Jackson, MS then US49 south to rejoin I10 at Gulfport. Schedule your trip to pass Fort Worth and Dallas during early afternoon.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

I came across there 2 weeks ago and it was pitiful.....I thought I was on a country road in WV. I did take I-12 which was somewhat better but still not what I am used to on Interstates. If it rattled my teeth in a big DP with air ride I can just imagine what it must be like with conventional springs....But from LA to Orlando----what choice do you have?????

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a recent thread on the topic.

I've been through there many times recently. The last time I pulled my TT thru LA the 15 mile section between Lafayette and the Atchafalaya Basin bridge (Swamp Freeway) was the one remaining rough spot of any length. Had to go 50 to keep from bouncing off the road. The Swamp Freeway isn't a problem for my rig. Also, there's a lot less construction nowadays than there was while hundreds of miles of I-10 was being resurfaced.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We hate the LA-I10! Out of 1 to 10, would give it a 5. We travel allot of interstates and that part has got to be our least fave.

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, stay on 12. Guess as a local I wouldn't even consider taking 10 from B.R. through N.O., it's not a straight shot and would add miles and time to the trip unless N.O. is your destination.
2014 Berkshire 360QL