cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't imagine this many cables (UPDATED)

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
In my "new to me" motorhome, I am getting it set up for my wife and me. I was getting ready to install the satellite receiver and take out an old VCR.

Here is what I found when opening the cabinet. I know there should be four wires in there. One in for the roof antenna, one in for the cable/portable satellite, one out to the front TV and one out to the rear TV. I have 13 coaxial cables in that one cabinet and there are more in the other overhead cabinet which I haven't explored yet.

Does anyone know what anyone might use all the different ones for? Several of them are numbered with professionally made labels. You can see those that have the little white plastic tape on them. Numbers 1 through about 8 or 9.

I'm about to go out and try and trace where they might go but any ideas might be helpfull.

:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
26 REPLIES 26

MrWizard
input from sat box, cable and antenna
output from vcr, sat box, dvd, going to (2) different TVs
the little 4 wire plug is sat controller cable

i would say your RV has had the B.O.M.B. removed (box of many buttons)
and the vcr and sat boxes removed

the BOMB was used to switch all those inputs to the two or three different TV's
so the bedroom TV could be on vcr or sat box, while the front TV was on antenna or park cable input
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have an HD satellite box, the cables to the TV will have to be HDMI instead of coax. The same goes for a DVD player if it is HD.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
The term SNAFU comes to mind! (f = fowled right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah that stuff is a mess. Get a smart TV that can connect to wifi and stream stuff. HDMI & Smart TV's with wifi are really solving this cable mess problem we all have had.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I label any coax that is still connected. Build a connector with a known value of resistance. connect it to one end of the cables. Check through the other end of cables with an ohm meter. When you find bot ends label it and move your resistance connector another cable and repat the process. I use a resisto on one end because you want to rule out shorts or cables that may still be connected to something else.

norwestie
Explorer
Explorer
If you are installing a new flat screen TV, dump the switch box. Figure out what you need for satellite, park cable and rooftop antenna for the front and bedroom TVs and scrap the rest. It is much easier to have satellite receivers and DVD players in each location, that way you and your partner can watch different show/sources at the same time.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2012 Ford Edge Limited toad

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You need a Cable Mapper.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
I would go to harbor freight and get a tone and probe, not too much money, and then trace the wires. Looks as though your BOMB, box of many buttons is missing. Cable should be cable in, Ant in, Sat in, Cable to two TV's, DVD and VCR. Or look at the other ends of cables for matching numbers and start drawing a diagram.

LEN

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I would first be sure to have each one numbered, then do an ohm check between the center and the shield to see which ones might be connected at the other end, and which ones are not.

From there, go to your known devices and disconnect or jumper, one at a time, noting any changes at the other end.

Eventually, you will have it all figured out.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may have cables for a recorder, amplifier, satellite box, as well as a switchable entertainment center that is used to route the signal to different areas of the coach. This takes a lot of input/output cables.

lakebum
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
In my "new to me" motorhome, I am getting it set up for my wife and me. I was getting ready to install the satellite receiver and take out an old VCR.

Here is what I found when opening the cabinet. I know there should be four wires in there. One in for the roof antenna, one in for the cable/portable satellite, one out to the front TV and one out to the rear TV. I have 13 coaxial cables in that one cabinet and there are more in the other overhead cabinet which I haven't explored yet.

Does anyone know what anyone might use all the different ones for? Several of them are numbered with professionally made labels. You can see those that have the little white plastic tape on them. Numbers 1 through about 8 or 9.

I'm about to go out and try and trace where they might go but any ideas might be helpfull.

You are going to have to do some testing...

Most likely there is a splitter or AV distribution box and/or your sources can feed multiple locations. ie. bedroom TV, outside TV, etc.

Then you have multiple sources, DVD, SAT, Ant, etc.

I would suggest having a good understanding of your TV or monitor and know what inputs and if it requires to be on Channel 3, etc and then just test and label all the cables. Might take a while, but it will be worry free when you want to watch TV
Ken & Janice
South Hill, Virginia

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, BTW; I know there is one composite A/V Cable, one power cord and you can see one little four wire plug hanging down (don't know what it goes to either). Anyway, I'm not counting those in the 13 coaxial cables.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C