cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Allegro front engine diesel

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to look more and more like we might be buying a 2008 Allegro 35QBA. Front engine diesel. 38,000 miles.
Thoughts? Things to watch for? Things to ignore?
Buying it from a friend who says it needs a new rear furnace, and that the check engine light is on but he's getting that light checked this week.
Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.
21 REPLIES 21

Loren_Ross
Explorer
Explorer
A friend has this same coach. Only problems he's reported are electrical in nature. After several various problems, they finally located a corroded ground terminal with 12 ground wires under the dash on the driver side. After cleaning and replacing the corroded connectors, all is well. He's been full-timing in it for 7 years now and is still happy with the rig.

mikey52
Explorer
Explorer
Tgator1 wrote:
Hey mikey, how does it compare to the racket from your Harley?

The FRED was worse than my Harley when the cooling fan was running.
2013 Discovery 40x
2016 GMC Canyon
2011 BMW R1200RT

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
time_to_go_now wrote:
Greyghost wrote:
We looked at one in 2009 and found the storage very lacking. There were no pass through bays at all. Our 93 Winnebago Adventurer had more storage. The other issue for me would be the fact that it's a FRONT ENGINE, you do not get the benefits of a rear engine DP.

No pass through storage on a 2008. But, they did add pass through storage over the rear end in later years.

And it is a front engine diesel, as advertised. I did a bunch of work to the engine cover with both sound deadening materials and heat blankets. It is very quiet cruising down the highway. 1,600 rpm's at 62 mph. Good mileage. But it does get loud when climbing hills!

OK, it is loud climbing hills. So is our Southwind 32V Ford V10.
I wish I could afford a FRED toyhauler!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Tgator1
Explorer
Explorer
Hey mikey, how does it compare to the racket from your Harley?
Tgator1
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

mikey52
Explorer
Explorer
Just to add my two cents, I had a FRED for five years. The first time we drove our pusher my wife and I looked at each other and couldn't believe how nice it was the have the engine in the rear. As was stated, it is not real bad until you are going up a hill then the fan kicks in.
2013 Discovery 40x
2016 GMC Canyon
2011 BMW R1200RT

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
This is the freight liner front engine diesel 35QBA. definitely.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure about the model and chassis? The Allegro line was gas powered and the 35 QBA was a quad slide with bunk beds. The Allegro Bay was the FRED line.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer
Authorized Cummins repair center says it's not the turbo - it's a wiring harness on top of the turbo,?which has melted. They are pricing the repair now.
Thoughts?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
http://www.fcccrv.com/coaches/

Click on 2008 Allegro.

Kind of a cross between a gas chassis and a DP.

Front engine, Allison 2000 series transmission, hydraulic brakes, leaf spring suspension.
Brett, are manufactures still making FREDS or is everything in the rear now?

Sorry, don't know the answer. But a quick call to Freightliner, Gaffney would tell you.
O.K. Thanks

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Greyghost wrote:
We looked at one in 2009 and found the storage very lacking. There were no pass through bays at all. Our 93 Winnebago Adventurer had more storage. The other issue for me would be the fact that it's a FRONT ENGINE, you do not get the benefits of a rear engine DP.

No pass through storage on a 2008. But, they did add pass through storage over the rear end in later years.

And it is a front engine diesel, as advertised. I did a bunch of work to the engine cover with both sound deadening materials and heat blankets. It is very quiet cruising down the highway. 1,600 rpm's at 62 mph. Good mileage. But it does get loud when climbing hills!
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres

MrWizard
our 95 Safari doesn't have an OBD port
but when i went checking, i found out the the big diesel ports are different than the car ports
the programming is different and the $30 readers don't work for diesel RVs coaches buses etc..

IF it really is the turbo Again ?

walk away, find a different RV, preserve your friend ship
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
http://www.fcccrv.com/coaches/

Click on 2008 Allegro.

Kind of a cross between a gas chassis and a DP.

Front engine, Allison 2000 series transmission, hydraulic brakes, leaf spring suspension.
Brett, are manufactures still making FREDS or is everything in the rear now?

Sorry, don't know the answer. But a quick call to Freightliner, Gaffney would tell you.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

time_to_go_now
Explorer
Explorer
Let me know if you have anything specific. See my signature.
Jim and Deanna

2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA FRED
2007 Carson Trailer 22' Titan TH
Trailer Toad
Me, Wife, Boy/22, Boy/19, Girl/17
1985 Toyota 4Runner
TWO quads, THREE kids, TWO motorcycles, ONE wife, TWO dogs, ONE cat, TWO Polaris RZR's