cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ice forming on fridge "fins"

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I know I have read about this in the past, but could not find anything when searching for it.

I am getting ice forming on the fins in the refrigerator. What is causing this and how do I fix it. Your help would be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
You don't state the year, make, or, model of the fridge you reference, but, if it's a typical RV gas/electric refrigerator, this is a common problem as mentioned previously. Opening the door less, raising the interior temperature, and occasionally defrosting the system will remove the ice. The ice won't hurt anything but the system will be less efficient and use more propane until it is defrosted. The available freezer space tends to "shrink" a little when it's coated inside with ice.

A few minutes reading the owners manual will explain the manual defrost cycle.

Chum lee

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. I lowered the temp setting to 2 and the ice melted. Noticing it was getting a little warm according to my thermometer, I raised the temp back up to 3. all seems to be ok, at least at this point. I will just keep an eye on it.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
derh20 wrote:

I am getting ice forming on the fins in the refrigerator. What is causing this and how do I fix it. Your help would be appreciated.

You don't need to "fix" it because nothing is broken. How are you able to tell from 3000 miles away that there is no door seal or thermistor issue ?

Mine does that too.
As long as liquids put in the fridge section don't freeze, there is NOT a problem.
If you want more assurance, get a thermometer and put it in the fridge section away from the fins.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

KAttkisson
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on the Door Gasket.. Check with a pulling out a piece of paper between the door/gasket with the door closed. It was the problem with mine and I had the same symtoms.

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
I am real old, and just "learnt" the importance of frig temps based upon my recent experience with both our house and RV units. But after monitoring both, I now will never be without a way to know the temps. I used a wired remote unit. Our house was running well into the 40s, and that is just too warm -- recommendations are 35 or so. Now, I have adjusted it to almost exactly 35 degrees. I can imagine with a house full of youngins that the temp would probably be real close to 50 or more most of the day, but they eat a lot, so maybe it isn't that bad.

Thanks for the recommendations on the remote units -- will get two for both house and RV.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get AcuRite 00986A2 from Amazon!

Wireless, sensors for Freezer and Fridge, Display has Magnet to stick to your Range Hood. Has Min/Max temps monitored, and can have a high temp alarm if you like.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
The best twelve or fourteen bucks you can spend is on an inside/outside wireless thermometer. You can buy them at Target, Walmart, Lowes, HD, about anywhere. Put the unit in the refrig and attach the "outside" sender somewhere convenient and you can constantly be aware of the temperature in your refrigerator without opening the door.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
This a normal problem. If the fridge doesn't have a defrost cycle like stated above you will have some ice on the fins especially if you are in an area with higher humidity. Every time you open the door moisture laden air enters the fridge and it will collect on the coldest thing in the fridge which happens to be the fins.

When we lived in out 5th wheel for a project in Oregon we had to manually defrost the fridge a few times. Our door seals where good and there was no kids grazing in the fridge to keep it open for long periods of time. We also had a bar style fridge in the basement to precool items and keep our adult beverages in. This kept me out of the regular fridge to get a beer.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Leaking door seals will cause this also.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Verify that the condensate drain has a restrictor in it's outer end. If not, it will be introducing outside air into the fins all the time.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I try to keep my crew from "shopping," spending lots of time with the door open.

We have a Norcold, and if there's good news about Norcold... It has a "defrost" every couple dozen hours. It isn't a forced defrost like a home fridge. Rather, it stops the cooling unit for half an hour or so, and the frost/ice usually melts in that time.

One of the many not-so-good things about Norcold... Our fridge door is so flimsy that the door gasket doesn't seal at the corner below the latch. We now have the Norcold Knee Knock and High Five. Nudge the bottom of the Fridge door and the top of the Freezer door every time we close them. Its now second nature and really helps with cooling and frost. Along with No Shopping...

Dometic doesn't have the defrost cycle. Luckily, Dometic DOES seem to have stiffer doors...

I keep a squeeze bottle with a Stream setting on board. On long summer trips I keep a air-pressured garden sprayer. If the fins get heavily frosted. I fill the sprayer with hot water, open the door and blast away at the ice with the fine jet of hot water. Ice is all gone in less than a minute of Shopping.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
derh20 wrote:

You don't need to "fix" it because nothing is broken.
Mine does that too.
As long as liquids put in the fridge section don't freeze, there is NOT a problem.
If you want more assurance, get a thermometer and put it in the fridge section away from the fins.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found that pre-cooling my items,especially canned or bottled, before I load the RV helps. Install a thermometer and monitor the temperature ,adjust thermostat accordingly.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Open the fridge less. Also vent the RV or possibly run the A/C to de-hemudify.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST