cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Induction Cooktops

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have read glowing reports regarding installing an induction cook tops as a replacement for the propane units but I have no personal experience with them.

Glowing reports aside I would be very interested in hearing about the drawbacks to the replacement. Also, if one were to undertake such a project what are the best brands available.

Thanks for any input.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad
19 REPLIES 19

lenny-shawna
Explorer
Explorer
We have a stove with a 3 burner propane cooktop. Love it. Propane was one of the must have's for us.

While we stay mostly at KOA'S or other full hook-up sites, boon-docking is something we will start doing more of therefore we wanted to rely less on electric.

We do however plan on purchasing a portable induction cook top allowing us to have the best of both worlds.
lenny-shawna 2011 Winnebago Tour 43'. Cummins 450. Freightliner Custom Chassis. Hydra-lift motorcycle carrier 2014 Harley Ultra Limited. 2012 SRX. With our 3 Beagle/Hounds

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks again for the info. I broached the subject to DW and just got a strange look and was told in no uncertain terms to "stay out her kitchen" and she likes the propane just fine.
Dick

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
While induction cooking may be the best thing since sliced bread, I thing LP will always work for me. I really like cooking with gas and since I only uses it for occasional heat to back up may heat pumps or heat hot water if I am off the grid, a tank of gas lasts between 1 and 2 years. LP, for me is very convenient
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
We have been cooking on an induction unit at home for about 4 years and have had a uniformly very positive experience with it. It is more than 90% efficient in converting electricity into heat -- in the pot or skillet. Gas, by comparison, is less than 50%. The induction unit boils water so fast that one can't cook a 3 min egg on the high setting -- the water boils so fast, an egg is not done in 3 min. By trial & error, we found that a middle setting (5 on a scale of 1-10) gives the perfect boiled egg.

The other good thing about them is that changing the cooking temp is essentially instantaneous, as fast or faster than with gas.

The only negative is that, as others have mentioned, the cookware needs to have an iron or steel bottom, but that's a negative only if you don't have any.

We're getting ready to hit the road full-time, and an induction unit will be in our coach ...
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I appreciate all the replies and may look into this more thoroughly. Outside of the power use they sound great. I'll have to think about the extra load since we already have a tough time living on 30 amps when that happens.
Dick

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
You are looking for drawbacks... Well, if we have electricity, either shore, generator or inverter, we can cook. Can't use out of propane as an excuse to not cook. DW doesn't get to experiment with overcooked or undercooked food because of lack of LP pressure (tank less than full), or altitude effects on burner efficiency; #4 or #2 is always the same amount of heat on our induction cooktop. The wife doesn't have time to do her nails waiting for water to boil on LP...the induction top is as fast or faster than the microwave. We don't get to breathe various cleaners trying to get burnt on food off and out of the burners; induction cookbooks are flat, smooth and can't burn food onto its surface.

In short, it saves us so much time and aggravation, that we now spend more of our time thinking of things to do besides slaving over a hot, wasteful LP burner.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

JFC
Explorer
Explorer
We had a residential refrigerator installed on our Scepter several years ago, so the three burner stove was the only propane user in the coach.I purchased a True induction cook top and since I was having other service done, I had Oregon Motor Coach Center in Oregon install it and remove the propane tank. They did a great job. They turned the propane bay into another storage bay and used material that matched the original counter top to fabricate a recessed counter where the original stove had been. Being recessed, the original stove covers are still there so the entire counter is usable when the stove is covered. The installation was six months and two trips ago and it works great.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Also use the portable NuWave model. You must have the right cookware, as previously explained, to use it but it does replace so many other cooking tools, like a crock pot, electric fry pan, etc. I haven't used my propane cook top since I got it, over 2 years ago! Its portability is a feature I really appreciate. It can be used easily for any type of cooking, from searing a steak at very high temps to low temp slow cooking. Totally versatile.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I love my Nu-Wave. They have many more heat settings than any other product I've seen. My only wish is that it were smaller.

I store it on a cutting board that covers the (unused) propane range.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't buy one yet. But, I probably will soon. It seems like a great addition to the kitchen.
I would not replace the propane stove top even if they made a drop in convection replacement.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
It's no different than a portable electric heater. It's max draw is 15 amps. The two burner models only allow a total combination of 15 amps.

No matter how hard you fight it or disagree, the wave of the future in large coaches will be all electric.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Can we assume you don't want to use one if you're limited to 30 amp servuce?
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"bluwtr49".....At first we bought and tried a portable unit to see how it works and to use outside for cooking. We liked how it worked.

When we bought our coach, it was all electric with the exception of a two burner cooktop. The two burner top was small and was difficult to put anything larger than a medium pan on it.

Last year, I bought the True Induction cooktop, the same one that Newmar installs as standard equipment, and replaced my propane cooktop. This made my coach all electric and allowed me to remove my propane tank and gain a nice storage compartment. I had a huge built in propane tank for a tiny two burner stove.

Here is a picture of the install. True Induction makes a countertop and insert model. I bought the insert and it fit perfectly over my opening. I already had a spare outlet under the sink, so connecting it was easy. We now have a much larger cooking area and really looks more modern.

It should be noted that I'm a big believer in NEVER using my microwave or high energy draw units, like the cooktop, on an inverter, even though I have a PSW inverter. If I don't have power and need to cook, which isn't often a part of the way we camp, I start the generator. For the few occasions that we boondock and just need to heat water or a cup of coffee, I bought a small portable cooktop (butane).

I had a custom cutting board made that just fits over the perimeter of the cooktop and protects it when not in use.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I love this nu wave as it goes outside and cooks up my bacon, doesn't splash up my RV countertop.
We also have used it as a crock pot, with a cast iron crock pan and lid, you can set the temp and forget it. People are always coming by to see what we have in the pot that smells good.
The only downside, getting used to the fact that if you remove the pan, it shuts off automatically.
I am used to it now, but it took a long time, because I am Polish.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3