cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing a Deadbolt on entry door

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have always hated the cheap tiny deadbolt that came in the entry door lock. Is is a a thin small piece of metal that would not keep my hungry bulldog out of the RV.

So I wanted to buy an RV deadbolt and install it. But when I search I see residential deadbolts being passed off a RV ones and the RV wall is much thinner than a house wall.

So my question to you guys are as follows:

Have you done this ?
What RV deadbolt did you use ?
How did it work out ?
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
10 REPLIES 10

JCat
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the feedback, some right on, some speculative, some funny (my bulldog does not let anything get between him and dinner), some fact based.

Thanks
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Trimark entry system and feel it is adequate for keeping the rig secure. In storage there is nothing of value left inside. The electronics are left there but today those are not worth the hassle of removal for storage at home and then installation for trips.

While we are traveling, that's different but still it is a matter of do we really need great goo gobs of stuff. My jewelry is two watches, the DW has some pieces that can never be replaced and yet she takes them with us because she enjoys wearing them and if they are stolen, well they are still held in memory.

The thing that can never be replaced is the feeling of security. Most people who have lost significant things to thievery are more deeply touched by the feeling of violation than the loss of the material things.

I have never seen a deadbolt lockset that was designed for a 1.125" door, I'm sure they are out there and I'm sure they are bottom of the line. A great deadbolt such as a Baldwin or Medeco can run hundreds and are designed for 1.375" doors but will fit a 1.125" door. What they won't do is make your rig safe they will just make a thief more anxious to see whats inside.

Noise in a campground is probably your best deterrent, a very loud siren or horn blasting away will definitely draw the attention of others. A car horn will just elicit a rude comment about some stupid jerk can't operate his car/truck alarm, however, a very loud and unusual siren with a weird sound will cause someone to look out their window. There are alarms that use voice recording that are addressing the thief and will scare away most thieves and I don't mean a dog barking.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. In 38 years as an RV tech, I have YET to find someone successfully breaking into a RV door. They have DESTROYED the lock and the door, but did NOT gain entry thru the door from attempting to break in.
2. They ended up breaking a window, either in the door if it had a window or another window and once inside they then opened the entry door from the inside.
3. Crooks rarely know and understand the design principles behind an RV door lock and the latching system used on RV's. Doug

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If I'm worried about someone breaking thru the deadbolt...I'm rolling down the road to find someplace safer not adding a bigger deadbolt.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I have a residential dead bolt on my 95 Bounder. Residential dead bolts will adjust to different door thicknesses, no problem. The tab between the outside part and the inside part is designed to break at different lengths.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, most stories I have heard about someone breaking into an RV were cases of someone simply putting their foot through the thin, single layer of plastic that comprises a skylight or roof vent.
Deadbolt wont help much with that.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading the lock is only placebo... The construction of the rest of the RV is a still very weak, and hard to upgrade.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Is is a a thin small piece of metal that would not keep my hungry bulldog OUT of the RV."

Your bulldog can open the door to the coach to enter?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Were you planning to upgrade the hinges too? How about the frame around the door? Otherwise a thief, or your dog, could pry it open that way.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Trimark latches. They make most of the door latches used on all brands of RVs. The one on our Gulfstream is very touch, and the deadbolt is very solid and the latch it goes into is also very solit and sturdy. However the brand does have a reputation of the bolt breaking, and a number of horror tales about getting locked in or out. Since getting locked in and replacing the OEM lock on ours, I do think that the newer models have minimized that problem. After what we went through tring to get our door open and get us out of the RV, I can testify as to the toughness of the latch and deadbolt assembly. There are a couple of easy ways to do it, although there are only a few that know how, and none of tem are around when you really need them.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.