cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insulation and exterior condensation

KC8RXQ
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed locations on our RV where there are areas of condensation on the exterior surfaces and some places where there is no condensation on exterior surfaces. This makes me wonder how much insulation was installed or if I even have a problem. About the only place I have actual proof of no insulation is behind the back bedroom cabinets, and there is exterior condensation at that location. Thor didn't secure the inside wall boards and when I pulled one out I could see the back side of the fiberglass end cap and the wiring for the camera and marker lights. I have removed some of the ceiling LED fixtures in the main coach there was some evidence of expanded foam insulation there and batt-style insulation around the LED fixtures in the molded fiberglass cab area.

This photo is the outside of the rear cap with condensation only apparent near the top where the insulation is missing.

This photo shows condensation on the side wall. Notice that there is no condensation above the coach door.

This photo is of the opposite side. Notice that there no apparent condensation on this side.

I would appreciate any thoughtful comments on if this is a problem or not. The RV is still under warranty and I have it scheduled for repair work on Aug. 11 and would like to be able to discuss this with the service manager - who is a really good guy to work with.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ed and Robin
Travelling buddies: Nina, Kit and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24, Ming Blue
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3.0L, V6
4 REPLIES 4

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I always knew that as morning dew, cars, patio furniture, even the grass and cement side walks would have moisture.

That has nothing to do with the insulation, it has to do with what side does the moisture laden breeze comes from and the temperature difference from the insulation to the metal frame.

The metal frame shows where it is, if you need to install somethig or drill a hole, you can mark where these are to either avoid or use them.

navegator

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Along the same lines, I took a spice rack off my wall behind the stove and noticed that the 4 screws were rusted on the ends. Condensation maybe?? No sign of roof leaks. I haven't had it long enough to notice outside condensation.
Marvin
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

ronfisherman
Pretty much the same as my MH. Wherever aluminum studs are located. The lines show up.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
On my MH which is white it is easier to see why when the temps are just right it condensates on the outside.

It is real obvious to see that my condensation runs along the aluminum studs. The metal is a different temp.

Can't tell by your picts but stand back and see if the condensation runs along where the studs would be.

It means nothing about one side having condensation and one side not. Just means the temperature/sun/shade was different on each side when the temps hit that point to condensate.

Gotta admit the first time I saw it I freaked out too. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.