cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warranty Repairs on Class A

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I only have experience with 5th wheels/travel trailers and vehicles that tow them. The Ford truck breaks down and it goes to the Ford dealership. The Jayco trailer breaks and it goes to the Jayco dealer.

So, what happens when a Class A on a Ford chassis breaks down with an engine related problem? I can't imagine taking it to the RV dealer that sold it to me. But I also don't recall ever seeing a 36' RV sitting at my local truck dealer.

Also, are warranty repairs to drive-able RVs quicker than to trailers. I've had some pretty ridiculous waits to get in for service with trailers over the years. On the other side of the coin I've been very impressed with the speed Ford/GM/Ram can get the trucks fixed and back on the road, even with large repairs.
7 REPLIES 7

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Warranty repairs can require a bit more effort on the owner then paying out of pocket for service. Your neighborhood Ford dealer can not help. The coach has to fit inside the service bays which are usually not designed for a coach sized and weight vehicle. The extra effort is locating a Ford heavy truck service center OR and independent shop that is authorized by Ford to do the work. Your first stop is at you phone and making a call to Ford's 1-800 number.

Your local RV service center is not the best choice for chassis and power train related work. If your fridge is acting up or the water pump has called it quits then by all means go to an RV service center. If the transmission won't shift beyond fourth gear go to a Ford truck service center.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great question. I wouldn't let our Dealer change the oil! I think on ours we have to go to a Freightliner place, and I do see them around.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

hfbundy
Explorer
Explorer
I was turned down by 3 Ford dealers to work on my 2016 Ford
f53. I finally called Ford customer assistance and they found one 25 miles from my home who would work on it. I passed 2 other Ford dealers when driving it to the servicing dealer.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
I only have experience with 5th wheels/travel trailers and vehicles that tow them. The Ford truck breaks down and it goes to the Ford dealership. The Jayco trailer breaks and it goes to the Jayco dealer.

So, what happens when a Class A on a Ford chassis breaks down with an engine related problem? I can't imagine taking it to the RV dealer that sold it to me. But I also don't recall ever seeing a 36' RV sitting at my local truck dealer.

Also, are warranty repairs to drive-able RVs quicker than to trailers. I've had some pretty ridiculous waits to get in for service with trailers over the years. On the other side of the coin I've been very impressed with the speed Ford/GM/Ram can get the trucks fixed and back on the road, even with large repairs.

As mentioned warranty repairs on the chassis and related Ford components can be done at a Ford Heavy Duty truck dealership. We have a Ford HD truck shop in our area. They regularly service and repair any Ford built chassis.

Heavy duty Ford truck shops are fewer and farther between than they were in the past. Ford sold the over the road tractor business to Sterling in 1998. Since then I believe the largest truck Ford builds is the F750. However most HD truck shops still service many other over the road brand tractors and other HD trucks.

To be a successful truck shop most of these dealers were also authorized repair facilities for components as well. They did warranty and repair work for Dana, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Caterpillar, Allison, Hendrickson, and a host of other component manufacturers. By in large they are still repairing and servicing these components.

The Ford HD truck dealership in our area is alive and well. Their parking area is filled to the brim with every type of truck and RV imaginable. Before the sale of the HD truck business I would guess about 10& to 15% of their business was RV's. Since the sale it's jumped to between 20% and 25%. At any given time there will be between 10 and 20 RV's being serviced or waiting for service.

This shop runs 2 shifts throughout the week and a single shift on Saturday. You have to make an appointment, but wait times once the vehicle is in for repair are minimal. The longest time I've seen an RV in the shop is a week, and that was only because they were waiting for a part.

We've taken our RV's there for service and repairs many times over the years. In most cases it was in one day and out the next. Very rarely has it been there more than a couple days.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has a wonderful 800 number just for RV customers - they know which dealers support what size of motor homes. I had a dash air conditioner go out and they told me where to go with my 35 ft motor home. It took a few days to fix and they even gave me a rental car to get back home.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some Ford dealers have bays large enough to work on RV's - but that is not the normal. We have not experienced any problems but did have a recall repair done. We are in a small town where there is a Ford dealer - cannot service at their shop due to size, but they sent the tech to our campground that was about 3 miles away to do the recall repair - something with the cruise control. They had him test drive a customers car to get her - took about 15 minutes to do the job and he drove back to the shop. Not all dealers would do this for someone who has never stepped foot in their shop before. We were pleased. The Class A RV dealer that we took our used when purchased motorhome too to be checked over had various shops throughout the city that they used - brake shop, chassis shop etc.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:

you take it to aford truck service center fir chassis/engine/tranny issues. some ford retail outlets may be offer some services but not usually. we've driven ford chassis MH's since 2000 and have had maybe 1or 2 warranty issues. both were handled by our local truck service center quickly and completed same day.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle