cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

insurance

sfo1969
Explorer
Explorer
My Good Sam National General Insurance keeps going up year after year. Up another $88.00 this brings it up to $822.00 for a 2014 Itasca Sunstar 27N. No accidents, no claims.
Good Sam keeps saying how we are going to save money by using their insurance. But i just don't see how i'm saving anything. i guess its time to start looking for another insurance carrier.
16 REPLIES 16

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
rk911 wrote:
db7512 wrote:
I use State Farm for everything but my RV. I found for me that Progressive gave a better rate for more coverage. They even have a no deductible for the windshield which payed off for me in the first six months.

we have $0 deductible for glass coverage on all our vehicles including the RV insured with state farm.

That might vary per state. In the State of Florida, no matter which insurance company you have for your vehicles, your glass coverage is automatically $0 deductible.

Yea that might be nice, BUT when you come from up North and move down to Florida and go to switch State Farm agents and find out your insurance will DOUBLE is what put me on the floor....that and paying 400 bucks for your first set of plates. :R:R

I just keep telling myself there is no snow here, there is no snow here, there is not snow here. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
rk911 wrote:
db7512 wrote:
I use State Farm for everything but my RV. I found for me that Progressive gave a better rate for more coverage. They even have a no deductible for the windshield which payed off for me in the first six months.

we have $0 deductible for glass coverage on all our vehicles including the RV insured with state farm.

That might vary per state. In the State of Florida, no matter which insurance company you have for your vehicles, your glass coverage is automatically $0 deductible.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
db7512 wrote:

Same here. I've had State Farm since I started to drive (a long time ago) and have since had it for both of our cars and home. However, when it came to the motorhome Progressive came in at almost half the cost of State Farm for the exact same coverage. My agent tried, but he couldn't even get close to Progressive's rate.

I'm no fan of Progressive Insurance Co., but, I've got to look out for my wallet too.
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
db7512 wrote:

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

RVHavingFun
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! If you call the Good Sam Insurance Agency, they will shop your rate for you with other RV specialty insurance companies: Progressive, Nationwide, Safeco, etc. They represent those carriers in addition to National General. Beware of insurance companies who don't specialize in RV's. Their sometimes lower rates are indicative of a lack in RV-specific coverage like replacement cost, permanent attachments, personal effects, vacation liability, etc. You don't use your RV like you do your car - so you can't insure the same way either.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
My Good Sam National General Insurance keeps going up year after year. Up another $88.00 this brings it up to $822.00 for a 2014 Itasca Sunstar 27N. No accidents, no claims.
Good Sam keeps saying how we are going to save money by using their insurance. But i just don't see how i'm saving anything. i guess its time to start looking for another insurance carrier.

State Farm here too for over 30 years. I most certainly do NOT get hit with yearly increases! If I were you I sure would change insurance carrier.

Just be real careful is you go with on of those cute gecko, general, or Flo etc insurance companies. Most times the rate they quote you is for "one year". Then they jack the rates up on you. It's written in small print in the policy you receive AFTER you pay the premium. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Face it , insurance is a bet at the tables .. You are betting that your going to have a major claim . The insurance company is saying you won't and for x dollars they will cover your bet
Using it ? Kinda , your placing a bet ea year with every premium. You Win when you have a problem and the ins company has to pay out more than you put in . Ins company's aren't on your side , they aren't your friends as much as they want you to feel that way. They are the house and your betting you'll "win" ! 😉
Bill

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
fitznj wrote:
I am not planning on using any insurance

You're using it right now and 24 hours per day every day you have policy. The point of insurance is to protect your assets (and liability); Just because you have not made a claim does not mean you did "use your insurance".

I hope NEVER to make a claim but I'm using the policy/coverage each and every day.

Good for you.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I am not planning on using any insurance

You're using it right now and 24 hours per day every day you have policy. The point of insurance is to protect your assets (and liability); Just because you have not made a claim does not mean you did "use your insurance".

I hope NEVER to make a claim but I'm using the policy/coverage each and every day.
Gerry

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I shop around and always go with the least expensive coverage I can find. My RV coverage right now is about $350/year for full coverage, agreed value, and $5000 on inside personal items.
I have not made a claim in 30 years and have a clean driving record so I am not planning on using any insurance that I carry so good customer service doesn't mean much to me. Too bad I can't get back the money that I have paid for insurance that I have never used.
My wife was broadsided by a person running a red light who had State Farm insurance and they did a good job of writing the check for her totaled Jaguar.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy State Farm customer; I think I pay < $150/year on a 24ft TT;
The rate has been coming down over the past couple of years. Only 1 claim in 10 years for a ding I put in the siding.
Gerry

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have State Farm and have been with them since 1968. They are the largest causality carrier in the country, with 6& of the business. They normally have the best rates but a local or regional carrier could give you a better rate.

USAA has the best rates, but you have to have a military connection to qualify. Also, they act as a general agent for another company on RVs, and don't write policies themselves.

Ignore the advertisements on TV over the best rates. Look up the ratings in Consumer's Reports. You can find a copy at your local library.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
Insurance rates really vary from State to State!
j

it can pay to shop around. but lowest premium is not always the most important. i've been with state farm for nearly 50-years and they have always promptly and satisfactorily handled claims, questions, etc. having a local agent...soneone you can actually go to, meet with and talk to...nstead of a call center is worth a bit of extra cost. any company will be happy to see you as a new customer but how they treat you after they take your money is important. by the way, the premium for our '16 Suncruiser 37Q is roughly $1100 p/y. we live in illinois.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle