cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is RV living for me?

dancingypsyspir
Explorer
Explorer
Newly retired senior checking out idea of full time RV living as I have wanted to do this for many yrs but got scared off by possible high cost of living that way.
I'm looking into renting a motorhome class C about 24-26ft for 2 mos to experience RV living (I've often camped in a tent). I would be heading down the east coast of US Apr-May.
Your forum is great for info and I love reading your stories!
Living in NS, sales taxes are very high and a friend suggested it would be less expensive to rent one in US eg Maine(although $can is only about US$oo.92 right now.)
Does anyone have suggestions about how to go about this the best way and what would be a good model to rent? If I like it, I would look into buying one.
Thanks, Maria
ps this is my first experience with a forum!
20 REPLIES 20

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I am fairly new to the whole RV world, but one thing I have learned is that multi-power appliances are a big plus. When you connect to power at a camp site, having an electric water heater and cab heater are two simple ways to reduce your propane costs. Another good idea is to get an inductive burner for the counter and cook with electricity. You need propane to make heat, cook and maybe run your refrigerator. Having the option to do all three things with shore power is a good way to reduce propane costs, provided you end up staying somewhere you have hookups.

Jose

lizbard
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the website rvlifestyleexperts.com Jaimie has a lot of excellent articles. Click on her blog, she has info on women rving alone, work kamping, etc. She has several books about living the rv lifestyle.

I get newsletters also from www.rvtravel.com . He has several different ones as well as instructional videos on you tube.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Living full time in an RV can be as cheep or as expensive as you want to make it. On the cheep, stay for a month at a time(lowest rates) Camp host(free space and utilities). So your only expenses are food, propane, and fuel for your RV, plus insurance and medical. Expensive, resorts can run 50 or more dollars a day plus electricity. Eating out a lot of the time can be very costly. It can be what you want.
As for long term rentals? While that can become very expensive it is still far cheaper than buying one and discover you really hate the life and sell out at a hugh loss.

richardwise
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Maria. Renting a MH for a trip like that will really give you a good idea of living the lifestyle and if you enjoy it or not. The size you are looking at should be fine for getting around without towing a car. Your two biggest expenses will be fuel and camp ground fees. I've never rented an rv before, so I don't have any advice, but there seem to be plenty of rental places around. My wife and I have just recently retired, and have only been out on 1-2 week trips, but are looking forward to being on the road 1-2 months and probably a lot longer. We have done a lot of camping over the years, and pretty much knew this is what we wanted. You will like it a lot better than using a tent.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Newly retired senior checking out idea of full time RV living as I have wanted to do this for many yrs but got scared off by possible high cost of living that way.
I'm looking into renting a motorhome class C about 24-26ft for 2 mos to experience RV living (I've often camped in a tent). I would be heading down the east coast of US Apr-May.
Your forum is great for info and I love reading your stories!
Living in NS, sales taxes are very high and a friend suggested it would be less expensive to rent one in US eg Maine(although $can is only about US$oo.92 right now.)
Does anyone have suggestions about how to go about this the best way and what would be a good model to rent? If I like it, I would look into buying one.
Thanks, Maria
ps this is my first experience with a forum!

There is excellent information on the fulltime lifestyle on Escapees, Technomania, and NuRvers web sites (and many others). And you will find people live in all kinds of RV's big or small. Many work part time to make some extra money.

You have two issues. The first is whether you are really a candidate for full time living in an RV; and the second depends on the first that if you think you are a candidate then what type of RV to fulltime in. Many RV's are made purely for occasional recreational usage. And others are made for full time usage.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't really matter what you rent, what matters is that you're doing this the right way first. This is a great way to get familiar with how things work.

RVing is not always cheaper than living in a home however, but it is fun.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman