cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the year of the coach based on the year of the chassis

RVing_in_Montan
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2021 Thor Omni. Going thur the paper work after we got home we discovered that it is on a 2020 Ford F550 Chassis. Is that common? The dealer never said anything and its the weekend and I'm waiting for a response.

KC
30 REPLIES 30

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
klutchdust wrote:
ferndaleflyer wrote:
You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.

You did buy a new coach. The chassis has been sitting waiting for the house to be built. The date it is completed is the registered date of the vehicle and on the title. If the states listened to federal law then there would be less confusion. I see no conspiracy or hiding the facts here, it's a common practice.
You buy a 2021 and it's on a 2020 chassis the title says its a 2021 . You sell it it's a 2021. kapeesh?

This is the problem. Very few rigs are properly registered. The state DMVs will automatically go by the chassis VIN, so unless you are aware and are planned to fight it and get them to correct the model year, that 2021 is registered as a 2020. And you have to sell it as a 2020.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
You might think different if you think you bought a new one and when you register your brand new $230,000+ coach it is 2 years old and you haven't even used it yet.

You did buy a new coach. The chassis has been sitting waiting for the house to be built. The date it is completed is the registered date of the vehicle and on the title. If the states listened to federal law then there would be less confusion. I see no conspiracy or hiding the facts here, it's a common practice.
You buy a 2021 and it's on a 2020 chassis the title says its a 2021 . You sell it it's a 2021. kapeesh?

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t see the problem as both of our RV’s had split model years and it is inconsequential that DMV treats the chassis according to the VIN number year. Shops look up the VIN for parts. But the build was done in the stated year so the inside was new then. So common as to not really cause issues unless specifically wanting the newer Ford chassis.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This will continue to be a PITA for most self-propelled RVs. Because EPA, DOT and MVSS regulations are all tied to the model year of the chassis, RV upfitters can no longer identify the unit by their own model year. Years back, the final upfitter would assign a VIN of their choosing, but as soon as the powers that be forced the 17 character VINs as a primary certification, that all had to change.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I had to furnish AAA insurance a copy of the sales contract to prove our rig was a 2004 because the VIN shows it as a 2003 rig. We didn't want our rig identified as a 2003 in the event of a total wreck scenario.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very common on anything with an aftermarket body...I have seen shuttle buses with a 2 year difference (they were 2001 bodies on 1999 chassis, titled as 2001). My first box truck at work was a 2004 F-650 with a 2005 box.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

I bought a new 1997 Winnebago Luxor in late 1997, almost a year old. When I registered it everything came back 1996 Freightliner. Now its 2 years old and nothing I could do would get anything changed. It was that way when I sold it years later.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's actually more common to have split dates than to have the same dates.

My clipper is a gem in that both are 1975. Saved me a lot of trouble getting it smog exempt.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I purchased my 2009 Cambria in Minnesota pre owned. When I registered it in Ca. through AAA the registration printed 2008. After a phone call

to the manufacturer and a discussion concerning the laws regarding partial builds, the Ca. DMV changed it to a 2009. RV builders buy large

amounts of chassis, when they finish them no one knows BUT once it's finished the year of the vehicle is determined.

Itasca offered to send paperwork regarding the laws if I had any issues. As was mentioned, order parts for the chassis based on the year of the

chassis.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
This may help you,it is quite common to have a year different on chassis and when the RV was sold as. Mine is a 2006 but the Chassis is a 2005,This model on a Chevy Chassis was only sold starting in 2006,MFG date is April 2006,you may find that on the RIVA sticker on the RV.

Here is an explanation from RIVA of how it works.

ANSWERS FROM RVIA: SPLIT MODEL YEARS

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) has recently published a document entitled “Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes.” As the title infers, it relates to questions that can arise regarding the chassis manufacturer’s model year and the model year assigned to the completed motor home by the final stage motor home manufacturer. Below is the original memo from RVIA for your reference and information.

Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

How is the manufacturing of motorhomes different from cars?

Motorhomes are “multi-stage vehicles.” This means that, unlike cars, they generally are built in two separate stages by two different manufacturers.

How is motorhome manufacturing divided into different stages?

The first-stage manufacturer, also called the “incomplete vehicle manufacturer,” assembles the motorhome chassis. This typically includes such components as the chassis frame, engine, fuel system, transmission, drive train, suspension, wheels, brakes and vehicular electrical system. These “incomplete vehicles” are then sold by the chassis manufacturer to final stage motorhome manufacturers, also called “completed vehicle manufacturers.” The motorhome manufacturers take the chassis and build the coach body, all of the “household” systems, install the appliances, cabinets, furnishings, plumbing, lighting fixtures and a multitude of various amenities, resulting in a completed vehicle.

How do first stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

According to federal law, at 49 CFR 565.13(a), a vehicle manufactured in more than one stage must have a Vehicle Identification Number (“VIN”) assigned to it by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. One character position in the VIN sequence identifies the model year of the incomplete vehicle. Once it is assigned, the VIN stays with the incomplete vehicle when it is sold to the motorhome manufacturer. The incomplete vehicle manufacturer may also ship the chassis with a Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (“MCO”). The MCO document provides information about each particular chassis.

How do final stage manufacturers identify their vehicles?

Final stage motorhome manufacturers continue to use the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. Motorhome manufacturers also provide MCO documents with their motorhomes when they are shipped to dealers. The model year of the completed motorhome, which is determined by the motorhome manufacturer, appears on this MCO document.

Why do some chassis have a different model year than the completed motorhome?

An incomplete vehicle chassis is manufactured before a completed motorhome is built on it. Motorhome manufacturers may buy hundreds, even thousands, of chassis each year. Because of variations in advance purchases of incomplete vehicle chassis, the flow of new product orders, market conditions and new model roll-outs, the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis is frequently different from the model year of the completed motorhome.

What are some examples of model year differences?

A group of fifty chassis could be built at the end of a calendar year and assigned that year’s model year by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer. A few weeks later, those chassis could be sold to a motorhome manufacturer. The motorhome manufacturer may use half of them to finish production of one motorhome make, assigning those motorhomes the motorhome manufacturer’s current model year on their final MCO’s. These completed motorhomes would have a model year one year greater than the model year of the chassis. The motorhome manufacturer may later use the other half of the chassis in manufacturing a new motorhome design, assigning those motorhomes the next model year. As a result, their final MCO’s would have a model year designation that is two years greater than the chassis model year. In another example, a chassis manufacturer may decide to skip a model year entirely and designate its chassis one year ahead of the then current calendar year. This could result in motorhomes having a model year once year less than the chassis model year.

Who decides what the “official” model year of the vehicle is?

The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is it permissible to have different model years for the chassis and completed motorhome?

Yes, it is permissible. The United States Federal Trade Commission (“FTC”) has directly addressed this very issue and determined in a formal staff option that it is NOT an unfair or deceptive trade practice for the completed motorhome and its chassis to have different model years. In recognition of the fact that the final stage manufacturer has the authority to designate the model year for motorhomes, the FTC has stated that the incomplete vehicle chassis manufacturer may use the phrase, “Model Year – Not Applicable” on the MCO’s for the incomplete vehicles it sends to final stage motorhome manufacturers, if it so chooses. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001).

Is the motorhome manufacturer required to disclose the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle and the model year of the incomplete chassis?

No. However, four states (California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin) require dealers to inform purchases of multi-stage vehicles of the difference between the model year of the incomplete vehicle chassis and the model year of the final stage motorhome.

What information is used by the state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

RVing_in_Montan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. After reviewing all the paper work there was a MCO in the packet. It would have been nice if the dealer would have brought that to our . We signed for it in January and took delivery yesterday on 4/24. It never dawned on us that ordering something at that point in time that they wouldn't match. It makes sense after having it explained. Still not happy with how the dealer didn't explain it to us up front.

KC

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very common. Make sure you are getting your choice for engine and transmission, not just what the salesman says it is
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Common yes. Thats why mechanics use the vin # to order chassis parts.

The following will be state or local law contingent :
If you insure or register the rv using the chassis vin # , it might be to your benefit using the unladen chassis weight opposed to the gross coach weight, possibly offering lower rates for passenger plates etc.
This has been beneficial for many including myself. My experience has shown me that passenger plates are non commercial and can allow overnight parking in restricted areas plus much lower insurance premiums.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Common - yes. We have 2010 Vista 32k on a '09 F53 Chassis. Big deal if there was a major change in the chassis - like from 5sp to 6sp auto trans. Or, V10 to V8.
2014 Allegro 36LA