cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jet-sounding neighbour furnace

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had to move in the park due to long-term reservations and now have neighbour with good looking DP.
But his furnace is facing us directly and not only it gives jet-like sound, but comes very often.
I am kind of surprized that such noisy thing was installed on luxury DP in the first place, but is there a way to aproach the neighour about the issue?
Strange to use propane furnace when we have non-metered elecricity and we use electric heater with whispering noise.
I think there is also some malfunction in neighbour system as the furnace comes like 15-20 times per hr in 40-50F weather.
We plan to stay here another month, so shall we live with the noise hoping for warmer weather, or give the neighbour a gift with electric heater?
47 REPLIES 47

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SCVJeff wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
RayChez wrote:
I think too much is being made out of this. And I do not agree with SCVJEFF that heat pumps make more noise, UNLESS he was talking about the heat/pumps on the Winnebago motor homes that have the heat pumps on the bottom compartment under the bed. Those are noisy.
yep
If Heat Pumps make MORE noise, then what about the NOISE when on COOL mode???????????????????????? Doug

PS, EXACT same components are operating, just in reverse.
obviously exactly the same. But you already knew that. Why does it matter?

Because stating the NOISE is bad in cold weather, but NOT complaining about noise in hot weather does not make sense. Doug
PS this argument about noises is really STUPID, unless the appliance is having a problem. These are RV's for Gods Sake, Some want Noiseless RV'ing?????

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
RayChez wrote:
I think too much is being made out of this. And I do not agree with SCVJEFF that heat pumps make more noise, UNLESS he was talking about the heat/pumps on the Winnebago motor homes that have the heat pumps on the bottom compartment under the bed. Those are noisy.
yep
If Heat Pumps make MORE noise, then what about the NOISE when on COOL mode???????????????????????? Doug

obviously exactly the same. But you already knew that. Why does it matter?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SCVJeff wrote:
RayChez wrote:
yep

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
yep
Jeff - WA6EQU

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our furnaces are quit noticeable when running. Our primary heat pump sounds like an F16 spooling up when it starts.
New coaches should reflect more sophisticated engineering.
We've have been next to quit a few loud water heaters, and quite a few, who knows how far away, that were noticeable.
Seems all the heating equipment including water heaters are located on right side.
Surely mfgs could vent them up high in back,along with the exhaust too.
RVing isn't quite as quiet as it could be.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
The loud noise should be more of a gas sounding FLOOF than a jet. Are you saying it sounds like the high pitch jet sound or the low pitch?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A CORRECTLY running Aqua Hot system will not make any abnormal or LOUD noise when the Diesel burner is ON. Doug

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
SCVJeff wrote:
Yes they do make noise, and water heaters do as well. I suspect yours bothers your neighbors on that side as much as his bothers you.... Oh well....

I can't hardly hear mine run at all inside, but I can clearly hear my 2 friends heaters and WH, both facing me @ 25'+. Again... Oh well....

Then again I can turn on the heat pumps and you'll REALLY have a complaint.

My 2004 camper has small furnace with exhaust blower. That thing is hard to hear in normal street noise both- from inside and outside.
When I had bad board, I had to pull outside cover to see if the flame light up, because I could not hear it too well even when it was on.
I know WH are noisy as the design makes big flame in straight pipe, but then you don't hear WH running whole night.
I will attempt to talk to those people about checking the furnace, but with bad weather everybody stays inside and I will not knock their doors.
And again, now that I moved 3 sites away, I can still hear it even when I type this.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would start a conversation with them by congratulating them on the new rig and finding out how long they have been RVing. If new I would suggest buying an electric heater to save on propane since electric is included in the site rental. This would let you lead into suggesting they need to have their furnace checked as it is much louder than most furnaces and that it seems to cycle more often than normal.

If the above goes well then I would offer to answer any questions they might have. If they know it all then I would congratulate them on the rig again and walk away.

PS: The neighbors furnace woke me up last night but fortunately it only came on a couple times.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't park so close, oops, sry your in a campground. Suffer.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they do make noise, and water heaters do as well. I suspect yours bothers your neighbors on that side as much as his bothers you.... Oh well....

I can't hardly hear mine run at all inside, but I can clearly hear my 2 friends heaters and WH, both facing me @ 25'+. Again... Oh well....

Then again I can turn on the heat pumps and you'll REALLY have a complaint.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is an Atwood RV Furnace......it should not be that noisy unless obstructed.
Either room air side OR combustion air side.

And that short of cycle is not from t-stat.....furnace is NOT reaching t-stat set point and then rig cooling off that quickly

New rig.....owner may not even be aware that it is not normal.

Be a good 'rv friend' and mention it.

Come on ...step up.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I think I would still say something to them. Just say something about it being a new rig and ask about it. Then I would mention I noticed the furnace cycling pretty often and telling them that might indicate there might be something in the burner tube. They may not know anything about it and I can't imagine anyone getting mad just talking about their new rig. It doesn't have to be confrontational.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shake down it is - we had 2 storms of decade in last 8 days.
Even we are like 200 feet from eucaliptus trees, everything is covered with shreaded leaves, while several trees at the road got uprooted, pulling power lines in several places.
Now I am 3 spots over from the rig and still can hear the furnace.
I can live with it now ๐Ÿ˜‰