cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just received a Ford recall notice for rigs cruise control

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
The weird thing about this is my rig is 21 years old! The recall notice says the cruise control switch can catch fire whether I use it or not. Do I assume after 21 years this part is fine? Or do I take it to a Ford dealer; one who can service a 29' Class C and get it fixed?
16 REPLIES 16

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
At least here in the Old Dominion, you have to register any and all vehicles with the DMV. I'm guessing that's how Ford knows how to find us for recalls (and a lot of other stuff:-)). We've received two: one on a truck we bought new from a friend and now on our bought-new car. Michellin hd no trouble finding us for the tire recalls!

Do not ignore those recall notices! They are serious! FWIW our tires were good and we could have ignored the recall, but we didn't know our tires were fine and are very grateful for brand new tires:-)

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Tioga with a Ford V-10. Would this recall apply to me? Since I am not the original owner, how can I find out if it was done?

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cousin_Eddie93 wrote:
4x4van wrote:
So how do I know if the recall applies to mine? I have an '88 Jamboree ('87 E-350 chassis) that the cruise control occasionallly doesn't work; no rhime or reason. Anybody got a link to the recall?

Looks like the earliest models effected by this switch begin in 1991 so I believe this would not effect an 87 model E350.

Ford cruise control deactivation switch

Thanks for the link.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We had an 1988 until 2002 Mallard, and I still have a 1989 E-150 van. Have not received a recall on these.

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
4x4van wrote:
So how do I know if the recall applies to mine? I have an '88 Jamboree ('87 E-350 chassis) that the cruise control occasionallly doesn't work; no rhime or reason. Anybody got a link to the recall?

Looks like the earliest models effected by this switch begin in 1991 so I believe this would not effect an 87 model E350.

Ford cruise control deactivation switch

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
can some one who has had this done pls post a pic. as I live a long ways from a ford dealer and maby its a inline fuse that avail at a parts store.??

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good News and Thanks for the Update!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
Finally had the recall work done. Apparently this recall is 9 years old and yes the Ford dealer said it was a critical recall due to threat of fire. Glad it's done.

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Have an appointment on Tuesday to get er done.

2Bargos
Explorer
Explorer
Take it from someone with experience, get the recall done. I and my father both own 2000 model ford trucks. Both were subject to the recall. Like many we thought it was no big deal and let it slide.

Just a few days ago I was stopped by local law enforcement and informed that I didn't have any Brake lights on my truck. When repairing the lights I discovered my truck had been on fire ,or almost on fire.

Sensor on end of master cylinder had melted and nearly melted brake fluid reservoir. why it didn't get worse I don't know.

At this point we have unhooked the wires to the sensor and unplugged cruise control wiring. both trucks are scheduled for a visit to ford for proper repairs to be made
2006 F-250
2008 Cherokee 28A+
2003 Harley Ultra
A wife that enjoys my hobbies as much as I do.
A Day Hemmed in prayer seldom comes unraveled

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
If this is the recall I was thinking of, it was a pretty serious issue. Basically there was a sensor with a diaphragm against brake fluid. If the diaphragm wore out, brake fluid could leak into the switch that detected if the brakes were being applied, and a fire could start. This could happen even if the ignition was off.
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
adayjk wrote:
I forgot to add. Any dealer should be able to do the recall if you can talk them into making the appointment. I've done the job about 50 times in a parking lot to various box vans.

Cool, Thanks, I'll make the appointment but I'm heading out to MD Monday morning to Frontier town for the week.

adayjk
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to add. Any dealer should be able to do the recall if you can talk them into making the appointment. I've done the job about 50 times in a parking lot to various box vans.